Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2022, 05:06 PM   #1

Interstate 80 and 90 westbound advice.

My 3 year old son and I hope to cross the country west bound on I 80 and 90 during the first half of May this year. Any advice or better routes? We are picking up mom in Sacramento. I prefer chilly weather over warm weather this is one reason we picked the northern route. But all this talk of wind has me wondering. I am doing upgrades rear track bar, sumo, koni, safe t plus. Our rig is a 37 foot gasser with a toad. I drove it from Alabama to Vermont in April last year. Did okay considering over tire inflation and no load. I pulled over when winds hit 30mph. I would say the cross winds I did drive through we not fun but not scary. Since then we did 7,000 miles around New England all summer. I like driving the rig and without thinking will drive with one hand. Rig will likely be close to 21,000 with a 4000 toad on a 22,000 chassis. Most days we will be driving 200 or less. Hope that’s enough info. Thanks in advance. We plan to make a similar crossing fist part of august leaving seattle and heading to Yellowstone, MN, then home to Vermont.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2022, 05:52 PM   #2

Last trip 2 years ago we drove I-90 back to Chicago from Seattle .

From the middle of So. Dakota to the Mississippi River the road beat the day lights out of us and the MH.

The truck traffic was insane.

Drove I-80 home to Seattle and found the road to be considerably better than I-90.

Plus I-80 runs you straight into Sacramento .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
Last trip 2 years ago we drove I-90 back to Chicago from Seattle .

From the middle of So. Dakota to the Mississippi River the road beat the day lights out of us and the MH.

The truck traffic was insane.

Drove I-80 home to Seattle and found the road to be considerably better than I-90.

Plus I-80 runs you straight into Sacramento .

Thanks for the heads up. Luckily we plan to be north on 94 through North Dakota as we are heading to northern part of Minnesota.

Any advice on getting around Chicago? We will be coming down from St. Paul on I 94. But I’d consider 35 to 80 if it would save some trouble. I don’t hate big city driving. It does wear on me. Biggest problem is my son’s emergency potty breaks in the middle of a big city with no easy place to stop.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tskadberg View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Luckily we plan to be north on 94 through North Dakota as we are heading to northern part of Minnesota.

Any advice on getting around Chicago? We will be coming down from St. Paul on I 94. But I’d consider 35 to 80 if it would save some trouble. I don’t hate big city driving. It does wear on me. Biggest problem is my son’s emergency potty breaks in the middle of a big city with no easy place to stop.
Your subject says westbound advice, now you are asking for advice going south?

What is your starting point and where is your destination that you think will take you through the greater Chicagoland area?

I live just north of Chicago and frequently travel to Pennsylvania and back so I could advise you if I had more information

Chris
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDParise View Post
Your subject says westbound advice, now you are asking for advice going south?

What is your starting point and where is your destination that you think will take you through the greater Chicagoland area?

I live just north of Chicago and frequently travel to Pennsylvania and back so I could advise you if I had more information

Chris

My bad. My OP stated we will be heading home in august. Via seattle, Yellowstone, Minnesota, around Chicago then to Vermont. The Minnesota around Chicago is the “southern” part of the trip.

We are also heading west in May from Vermont to Reno.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
My bad. My OP stated we will be heading home in august. Via seattle, Yellowstone, Minnesota, around Chicago then to Vermont. The Minnesota around Chicago is the “southern” part of the trip.

We are also heading west in May from Vermont to Reno.
Sounds good.

From Minnesota you will want take I-94 to Milwaukee where you will take the I-894 Bypass around Milwaukee and follow signs to Chicago which will route you back to I-94 and south to Chicago.

Stay on I-94 and take the I-294 Tri-State Tollway.
Follow I-294 to I-80/I-90. This will take you east through Indiana and further eastward.

There's currently construction through Chicago no matter what route you choose. The alternative to I-294 is I-94 which you should avoid because it takes you closer through the city of Chicago

There's Open Road Tolling starting in Illinois through at least New York so you will need a transponder (I-PASS or EZ-PASS, there may be others available for those states and they are compatible at tolls across those states)

There are Oasis's on I-294 Tri-State Tollway for gas and food. So if you need to stop for a break you can. Easy on and off keeping in mind it is Chicagoland traffic

Fuel up in Wisconsin once you get south of Milwaukee.
Signage for fuel at exits is clearly marked.
Gas is much more expensive on the Tri-State.
(Expensive on the toll roads too)
Once out of Milwaukee it i's approximately 30 miles to the Illinois border where you'll pick up I-294 so plenty of exits for gas, food, etc.

You may know this but the Ohio Turnpike portion of your route has over night rv parking with electric, dump stations, and potable water. About $20. At most rest stops in both directions. Check the Ohio Turnpike website for locations.

Imho Ohio's rest stops are the best for rv travel east of the Mississippi, possibly in the nation. We went to Rapid City, Yellowstone, Glacier and TRNP last year from Wisconsin and nothing compares to what the Ohio Turnpike offers RVers. Maybe California or the southwest has something nicer.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:31 PM   #7

You posted this in Systems and Appliances. Might want to get the mods to move it to Navigation, Routes & Roads.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDParise View Post
Sounds good.

From Minnesota you will want take I-94 to Milwaukee where you will take the I-894 Bypass around Milwaukee and follow signs to Chicago which will route you back to I-94 and south to Chicago.

Stay on I-94 and take the I-294 Tri-State Tollway.
Follow I-294 to I-80/I-90. This will take you east through Indiana and further eastward.

There's currently construction through Chicago no matter what route you choose. The alternative to I-294 is I-94 which you should avoid because it takes you closer through the city of Chicago

There's Open Road Tolling starting in Illinois through at least New York so you will need a transponder (I-PASS or EZ-PASS, there may be others available for those states and they are compatible at tolls across those states)

There are Oasis's on I-294 Tri-State Tollway for gas and food. So if you need to stop for a break you can. Easy on and off keeping in mind it is Chicagoland traffic

Fuel up in Wisconsin once you get south of Milwaukee.
Signage for fuel at exits is clearly marked.
Gas is much more expensive on the Tri-State.
(Expensive on the toll roads too)
Once out of Milwaukee it i's approximately 30 miles to the Illinois border where you'll pick up I-294 so plenty of exits for gas, food, etc.

You may know this but the Ohio Turnpike portion of your route has over night rv parking with electric, dump stations, and potable water. About $20. At most rest stops in both directions. Check the Ohio Turnpike website for locations.

Imho Ohio's rest stops are the best for rv travel east of the Mississippi, possibly in the nation. We went to Rapid City, Yellowstone, Glacier and TRNP last year from Wisconsin and nothing compares to what the Ohio Turnpike offers RVers. Maybe California or the southwest has something nicer.

Thanks so much Chris. I did Not know that about Ohio rest stops.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
You posted this in Systems and Appliances. Might want to get the mods to move it to Navigation, Routes & Roads.

Thanks I had no clue.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks so much Chris. I did Not know that about Ohio rest stops.
No problem. Private message me if you have other questions.

If you don't have a transponder for the toll systems used - get one now (who knows how this is affected by supply chain issues). I use I-PASS from illinois, live in Wisconsin. Once your account is established they say it takes over a week to propagate across all the states as they share system data.

Your account will auto replenish at the amount you set up from your banking account/credit card so you don't have to worry about toll payments.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:06 AM   #11

Why not take I-90 south from Madison to Rockford and I-39 south to I-80?
Old 01-19-2022, 10:13 AM   #12

I 80 from the Indiana border to Joilet, Illinois is the most dangerous 40 miles of any highway in the USA. Terrible road that is almost. Like driving on railroad tracks for 40 miles.
It could destroy any suspension on any RV. The construction zone goes for miles with narrow lanes and concrete barriers.
I call it “40 miles of Anxiety”
Last year I had the privilege of driving it 6 times.
I will be on it at least 4 times this year.
Speed limit is 45, but I only go 30 to save my suspension, too bad for anyone behind me.
Last trip thru there I saw 7 automobiles with flat tires from hitting the holes at speed.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
I 80 from the Indiana border to Joilet, Illinois is the most dangerous 40 miles of any highway in the USA. Terrible road that is almost. Like driving on railroad tracks for 40 miles.
It could destroy any suspension on any RV. The construction zone goes for miles with narrow lanes and concrete barriers.
I call it “40 miles of Anxiety”
Last year I had the privilege of driving it 6 times.
I will be on it at least 4 times this year.
Speed limit is 45, but I only go 30 to save my suspension, too bad for anyone behind me.
Last trip thru there I saw 7 automobiles with flat tires from hitting the holes at speed.

Any alternatives? Looks like going down to Indianapolis adds 160 miles.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Why not take I-90 south from Madison to Rockford and I-39 south to I-80?

Maybe to avoid some of the I80 east of Joliet which is suppose to be horrible?

Tags
advice