Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #15

Our interstates are in SERIOUS need of repair!
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekethomas View Post
So.. over the last 10 years with nearly 150,000 miles on the road in an RV I wanted to put out there for your views, consternations and other comments (no whines ... ) What are you highway choices?

Over these miles I have damaged my rig much more in interstates than I ever have on US or State highways. I-10 in LA, MS is one of the worst (can you spell Baton Rouge? Lake Charles cost me a steering tire and a wheel!

So, now I drive 90+ % on US highways and state highways. Its not much slower, the gas stations are not the truck stops we like, you have to slow down in the towns (I am not in a hurry)... and I do less damage to the coach.

Agree? Disagree? .... Interstates are just terrible in many places. If you have a nice rig and want it to stay that way, stay off the interstates if you can, knowing sometimes you cannot.

For what its worth.... ????

100% agree. That I-10 thru has to be the worst interstate in the in the US
Old 09-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #17

We're between 300k and 400k with TCs and the MH we have now with annual trips, except for the few years when we went to AK and other places, from OR to WV and back with deviations N and S to see places we wanted to see. These trips started in the 70s after we moved to OR and still continue. We probably run interstates 70-80% of the time to get from one point to another in the shortest amount of time. One year, for example, we ran Hwy 50 from eastern WV to Austin, NV, then Battle Mountain, Winnemucca, Hwys 95 and 140 to home. That trip took a little more than 6 days as compared with about 4.5 days using Interstates 70 and 80.

In all our travels I've never damaged anything because of road conditions. When road conditions get bad I slow down, and some of then are bad as noted, both interstates and hwys.

Perhaps it's just me, but there seems to be a lot more traffic on the east side of the big river than on the west side, including large trucks. I always breathe a sigh of relief when we cross over heading west.

IMHO, which type of road a person chooses to travel depends on their goals and time constraints. There is no doubt in my mind that interstates are faster, but a little variety is good too.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:58 PM   #18

US Highways for me. State Highways can be a little dicey but I’m not in any hurry...
Btipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On interstates speeders, and trucks can pass safely. 2 lanes can be narrow, immediate drop offs, towns, more traffic lights, stop signs, worse mpg, takes longer to get anywhere, drivers pulling out of driveways and side streets. On interstates everyone is going the same direction, much safer.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
On interstates speeders, and trucks can pass safely. 2 lanes can be narrow, immediate drop offs, towns, more traffic lights, stop signs, worse mpg, takes longer to get anywhere, drivers pulling out of driveways and side streets. On interstates everyone is going the same direction, much safer.
I would have to agree with that, and then there are all the animals both domestic and wild.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:34 PM   #21

Quote:
So.. over the last 10 years with nearly 150,000 miles on the road in an RV I wanted to put out there for your views, consternations and other comments (no whines ... ) What are you highway choices?

It is amazing what we have learned over the 100's of Thousands of miles we've driven - and how some of us have adapted to what we've learned. When I was younger - a really long time ago - My Eyes were always bigger than my Plate - so we tended to stay on the I's a lot of "A to B" drives and short, if even more, than drive throughs, so many of the places we visited.

So I like you have learned a few things that are in "MY Book" - East of the Mississippi the I's are necessary and even though they are in Terrible condition, Safer, towns are too close and the driveways on the State roads are too Many.

So I tend to drive some of the I's in the East and avoid most of the I's in the West - Also now Avoid all of California - Just too Many PEOPLE/CARs.

So a Magical Mix.

Over these miles I have damaged my rig much more in interstates than I ever have on US or State highways. I-10 in LA, MS is one of the worst (can you spell Baton Rouge? Lake Charles cost me a steering tire and a wheel!

I'm not a slow learner - so if the road is Bad I get off - just find another way - Roads I avoid are many - I-10 - 40 - 80 - 76.............as said earlier - California as it is, in my opinion, a fly in, fly out, rent a car state.

So, now I drive 90+ % on US highways and state highways. It's not much slower, the gas stations are not the truck stops we like, you have to slow down in the towns (I am not in a hurry)... and I do less damage to the coach.

While we can still use and I or Two, we prefer the State Highways in the West, but you have to get out there, to enjoy them so.......we have a few routes that have worked to get us to Colorado, and yes sometimes we just have to slow way down to make them work.

Agree? Disagree? .... Interstates are just terrible in many places. If you have a nice rig and want it to stay that way, stay off the interstates if you can, knowing sometimes you cannot.

For what it's worth.... ????
So not sure where we fall in your "Chart" we love the Roads - we love to see the Country - we used to actually love most of the I's, But that was a long - long Time ago - now we Slow down, try to be Smart - Try yo Make the Trip as Good as the Destination.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #22

This is a good point but either type of highway can be stressful depending on conditions. I do know that some mountain states have laws requiring a slower vehicle to pull over on a 2 lane if there are a certain number of cars behind. I try to do this if it occurs on any 2 lane highway regardless of location, but sometimes it is difficult to do this safely. Sometimes I get a thumbs up and other times another finger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
We do both, I like the US routes, but miss the convenience of the truck stops, not a big deal...

Generally we take the US routes with the travel theme of never taking the same route twice...
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:25 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
US Highways

So... when I started this thread I was leaving on my most recent journey. 5,610 miles later we drove less than 350 miles on interstates, mostly in SoCal as there are no viable alternatives (the 5 from LA to San Diego).

We saw beautiful places and had good roads with few exceptions. New Mexico could do a bit more on its US Highways, and to our surprise, even California had US Highways in pretty good repair (cannot say the same for cities and towns and some state highways). Here is our list of traveled byways:

TX 114
US 82, 62
NM 114, 209, 104, 518, 75
US 84, 160, 285
CO 6, 72
US 36, 34
CO 14
US 40, 191, 6, 50
CA 44, 36, 99, 49, 120
US 395
I-15, I-215
CA 57
I-5, 8
AZ 238, 347
US 60
AZ 87, Lake Mary Road
I-40
US 64, 89
I-40
US 180,
I-25
US 360

Most Amazing: Petrified Forest National Park, I have driven past it many times, but this time stopped.. AMAZING.

Yosemite is Yosemite, the most beautiful place on earth... Grand Canyon is great....

Burney Falls is special... Mt. Lassen is also special.

Parks: Burney Falls State Park
Mt Lassen National Park
Yosemite National Park
San Clemente State Beach
USS Midway San Diego
Grand Canyon National Park
Petrified Forest National Park

Enjoy this great land... its yours!
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Truer Words have not been spoken.......

Most don't have a clue what beauty and culture this America has for all of us if we get off the interstates. The US Highway system is the true gem of this country.. it makes it work!
I agree, driving interstates is only for making time! To see the US the two lane state highways can’t be beat!
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:53 AM   #26

Sorry a Double post.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:04 AM   #27

I agree. We left east Texas this spring and meandered 2500 miles to just south of Spokane WA and just 110 miles of interstate.