Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Interstates vs US & State Highways?

So.. over the last 10 years with nearly 150,000 miles on the road in an RV I wanted to put out there for your views, consternations and other comments (no whines ... ) What are you highway choices?

Over these miles I have damaged my rig much more in interstates than I ever have on US or State highways. I-10 in LA, MS is one of the worst (can you spell Baton Rouge? Lake Charles cost me a steering tire and a wheel!

So, now I drive 90+ % on US highways and state highways. Its not much slower, the gas stations are not the truck stops we like, you have to slow down in the towns (I am not in a hurry)... and I do less damage to the coach.

Agree? Disagree? .... Interstates are just terrible in many places. If you have a nice rig and want it to stay that way, stay off the interstates if you can, knowing sometimes you cannot.

For what its worth.... ????
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Since we both still work, time is sometimes an issue, therefore we have to opt for the fastest roads to get to where we're going - so that's the interstate.

When we're doing a weekend camping trip to someplace somewhat nearby we'll take secondary roads and highways because the view is much more interesting and the pace is generally more relaxed. When we're on one of those trips I KNOW that I'm going to get into towns and they are going to slow me down. But at that point it's just part of the trip and we don't sweat it, some of those places are fairly cute as you drive though.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #3

Given a choice I would rather do a solid 55 than play zoomie with the trucks. I seldom go over 60-65.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:41 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Interstates... Try Glenwood Springs CO to Denver on I-70... I never cursed so much in my entire life... I'll take the state roads any time!
Old 09-18-2017, 06:39 PM   #5

I used to prefer running the two lane roads for the scenery and the neat little towns we went through. But when I bought a 26' enclosed trailer, we were 74' long and I did not want to hold up traffic driving 55-60 mph, so we went to the interstates. I have sold the enclosed trailer and will be just towing my Avalanche, so we will start running more two lane highways. They are less boring and much more to see, plus you never know what you might find in an out of the way antique store.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:45 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Just recently planned a route from central Illinois to the West. Was going to do US36/I-72 for awhile then up to I-80, then West. Once on US36, we just kept going west. Slower, but the road was great. Loved the small towns. Stopped for fuel when needed thinking it's probably giving the little town a minute amount of economic boost. Stopped at interesting spots whenever. We did the same thing another time and ended up stopping in Billy the Kid museum in Sumner, NM. Interesting story there is the owner's grandfather, when he was a kid, dug up a stash of guns that the Kid and his group had hidden. They was able to positively identify. Even had dried blood on a few. A couple of these guns were there. Anyway, you don't find these spots whizzing down the freeway.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
Interstates... Try Glenwood Springs CO to Denver on I-70... I never cursed so much in my entire life... I'll take the state roads any time!

Ditto!
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #8

Here on the West Coast interstate highways are not so bad except when under construction.
Our concrete segmented slab highways can be a bit bumpy but not damaging.
On the other hand local highways can be subject to more ling term hazards.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekethomas View Post

Over these miles I have damaged my rig much more in interstates than I ever have on US or State highways. I-10 in LA, MS is one of the worst (can you spell Baton Rouge? Lake Charles cost me a steering tire and a wheel!

Couldn't agree more. LA is the worst I've seen, but I've not been in the Northeast. The best ride is on one of the three bridges: the basin bridge (I-10), crossing Lake Maurepas ( I-55), or Lake Pontchartrain Causeway. It's been years since I've been on the Causeway, but I doubt it's changed.

Forget about back roads in the farming areas, especially south or west of Lafayette. Tractors tear those up regularly.
matt2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekethomas View Post
So.. over the last 10 years with nearly 150,000 miles on the road in an RV I wanted to put out there for your views, consternations and other comments (no whines ... ) What are you highway choices?

So, now I drive 90+ % on US highways and state highways. Its not much slower, the gas stations are not the truck stops we like, you have to slow down in the towns (I am not in a hurry)... and I do less damage to the coach.

Agree? Disagree? .... Interstates are just terrible in many places. If you have a nice rig and want it to stay that way, stay off the interstates if you can, knowing sometimes you cannot.

For what its worth.... ????
I've got probably twice the miles but the same number of issues - I's East of the Mississippi - anything else in the West - stay out of Cali and Louisiana except in a Rental Car.

Just the Facts, the I's are not funded and the state roads are just better.

Make the Drive as much a part of the trip as the Destination.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:36 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interstates vs US & State Highways?

I drove my new MH once on I-10 from Mobile to Beaumont, Tx. That will be the last time! You are so right, the sections around Baton Rouge to Lafayette are the worst.

We are planning to visit family again in Jan at Lafayette and Beaumont and will come in from the north via state roads.

We are also planning a summer trip from South Carolina to Colorado next summer and will stay off the Interstates as much as possible.

Patrick
Semper Paratus
Bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I try to stay off interstate hwy's as much as I can. Can't avoid them sometimes and glad they are there! We are in no rush so I also try to travel at the least busiest times. We enjoy seeing what there is to see wherever we are, and maybe even a stop or two. Much more enjoyable and not having to dodge those potholes and awful road repairs. How about I 40 thru Az from Kingman to Flagstaff? That's another rig breaker! Even truckers complain! To us it is also about the journey along with the destination!
chinobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #13

Thanks to Interstate HI ways you can travel from one end of the country to the other with out seeing it!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Truer Words....

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Thanks to Interstate HI ways you can travel from one end of the country to the other with out seeing it!
Truer Words have not been spoken.......

Most don't have a clue what beauty and culture this America has for all of us if we get off the interstates. The US Highway system is the true gem of this country.. it makes it work!
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote