Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2016, 06:45 PM   #15

Well, I guess we will keep the reservations, and park the trailer at the RV park and bring the animals with us in the jeep/tow vehicle (yes, petS...have a cat too, but she stays in the trailer or the jeep. Not a hiker!) We can toss the animals into the jeep and cruise the roads. We will not need to do any hiking, since we will have had 2 months of solid hiking before we get to Glacier. We might use this trip as a "rest stop"!
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Any trails in both parks you will be up close as in feet from both docile and dangerous wild life. A dog in the wild is a danger too it and you, the wildlife sees it as a predictor not your cute puppy. Now as to beauty and the wild experience these two parks are tops. When I was with dog, I would kennel her for the week or so. Much less stress on the animal and on us. Oh even the camp grounds in or near these two parks could/might have wild life in them, for instance bears. I don't mean to try and scare you but just inform.

LEN
Old 05-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We did Glacier years ago prior to dog ownership. Now as a beloved pet owner I have adopted a policy of if my dog can't come, I ain't going. I understand the Nat'l Park Service attitude of dogs scare away the wildlife you want to see and attract the type you don't want to encounter.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
We did Glacier years ago prior to dog ownership. Now as a beloved pet owner I have adopted a policy of if my dog can't come, I ain't going. I understand the Nat'l Park Service attitude of dogs scare away the wildlife you want to see and attract the type you don't want to encounter.
We bought the trailer so we could travel and bring our animals with us. No kennels or babysitters for our pets.

This is the reason I started this thread, to make sure it wouldn't be a complete waste of time to visit.

But we are only going to be there for 2 days, and we can do it all from the jeep, and just get out when we want to see something up close.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
We bought the trailer so we could travel and bring our animals with us. No kennels or babysitters for our pets.

This is the reason I started this thread, to make sure it wouldn't be a complete waste of time to visit.

But we are only going to be there for 2 days, and we can do it all from the jeep, and just get out when we want to see something up close.
Sounds like a good plan. You can walk pets in most paved areas.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Because taking an RV on the Going to the Sun Rd. is not suggested/allowed in some cases, it can best be seen from the Red Bus tours. The guided tours will point out things you'll never know about. We loved it!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
Yes, dogs can scare away wildlife. However, they can also attract wildlife, especially bears. There are many instances of this happening. We've heard the stories from rangers - state parks, national forests, also. A dog is no match for a bear and if you happen to be standing there, too...well...... Be safe out there!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #22

We had our dog (best basset hound ever) with us to Yellowstone/Teton/Glacier last fall. Some trails with no dogs or only on leash etc. but had a wonderful time. He saw a Grizzly (from the toad) in Glacier! I think that's what he's still dreams about. For sure go. It's amazing. West Glacier KOA was one of our favorites.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #23

Ours is a boxer. She would take off after a bear in a second. We have a hard time keeping her from chasing our bulls and cows. Fearless.

So, no...on a leash, and we will have bear spray. And if she chases after a bear, I will make sure she gets a little in her face, as well. Hard lesson to learn, but she needs to know "leave the bears alone!"
Old 05-13-2016, 05:36 PM   #24

Quote:

You've got the right plan and it is what we did a few years ago when we visited the park. We drove our F350 on the road to the sun and only had to pull the mirrors in once when going through a narrow spot. The dogs enjoyed the ride and our stop at Lake McDonald. It is a very beautiful place.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:39 PM   #25

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post

You'll be in bear country so there are regulations about what you can leave outside and what you must store. Make sure you're "bear aware". The same applies to Yellowstone.
The Great Smoky Mtns are also bear country...black bears.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #26

Is Glacier National Park pet and RV friendly?

Quote:
Ours is a boxer. She would take off after a bear in a second. We have a hard time keeping her from chasing our bulls and cows. Fearless.

So, no...on a leash, and we will have bear spray. And if she chases after a bear, I will make sure she gets a little in her face, as well. Hard lesson to learn, but she needs to know "leave the bears alone!"

Close enough to use bear spray is not a place most of us would want to be. But if your dog is like this one, not a problem. Of course, the bears may be bigger and on their own turf.

We met a Jack Russel last month whose owner credited him with treeing one bear and chasing off another while they were hiking in the woods.

https://youtu.be/dzXdHdXrDvM
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:35 PM   #27

Your biggest dogs are simply no match for an agitated Glacier grizzly. In general terms, they are bigger & more aggressive than those located further south in Yellowstone - and even they are unbelievably formidable. What often happens is the pets start out acting aggressively towards the wildlife, but the tables turn very quickly. They hightail it back to their owners for protection. Right. While grizzlies are the poster child of NP predators, our last visit to Glacier (decades back), there had been a number of mountain lion attacks. Including one in the main campground the week before we arrived. Generally in Yellowstone, bison confrontations top the list. By all means, visit these two beautiful parks. Do it in the order you indicated. We last came down from Banff/Jasper to Glacier to Yellowstone. Wrong. Each park further south looked more desolate. Last visit we stayed at a beautiful FHU facility in West Yellowstone. The grizzly/wolf facility in town is incredible. Watch that midsize grizzly pick up a 2' x 10' log & toss it around like I do a pillow. My 125 lb. German Shepard would be an appetizer.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national