Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2020, 07:41 PM   #1

Is I-70 across Colorado & Utah OK in October?

We'd been thinking of taking I-80 and I-70 from Iowa to the National Parks in southern Utah in October and early November. I just read article that Colorado requires chains for commercial vehicles on much of I-70 after Sept 1. We don't have chains for our Class A nor do I want to buy a set. Should we re-think our route? Might the mountains in Utah also be treacherous by late October? Should we re-think that part of our trip?
Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2020, 10:41 PM   #2

Carrying chains is mandatory; for commercial vehicles ; installation is road condition dependent .
Winter tires could be required for private vehicles , check the regulations , during the same time frame.

You'll be in HIGH country and weather can change by the day even the hour.
Be ready to hunker down in place ( food, water, propane & fuel on board) and wait out any storm , you happen to get caught in. Early season storms usually last for a very short time. .
Enforcement of the tire and chain rules will depend on road conditions ; at least that's the way it is here in BC , where we have very similar regulations .
If you're on the road when there is snow and ice WITHOUT the required equipment , then you will have issues .

One would hope , that unlike my first trip through the area with the coach , MT, ID ,NV & Utah in late November when I did get caught in the FIRST snow of the season that the weather conditions; in Sept/Oct.; will be such that, snow and ice are not a concern.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:39 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Are you a confident mountain driver? If so, you shouldn’t have trouble on those roads in September and October. As Skip said, there is always the possibility of a short storm, but just have the ability to turtle for a day and it will be clear again. In general it is a nice time of year to travel the mountains. If you are not a confident mountain driver, stay on I-80 until you get to northern Utah, then take I-84 to US 89 for a few miles than head south to I-15 in Salt Lake City. Longer trip but fewer steep sections. Not as scenic as I-70, but it still has some nice sights.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arboldt View Post
We'd been thinking of taking I-80 and I-70 from Iowa to the National Parks in southern Utah in October and early November. I just read article that Colorado requires chains for commercial vehicles on much of I-70 after Sept 1. We don't have chains for our Class A nor do I want to buy a set. Should we re-think our route? Might the mountains in Utah also be treacherous by late October? Should we re-think that part of our trip?
Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

If the snow is so heavy you need chains then IMHO you really need to stop and wait for it to stop.

We have traveled in all seasons in Colorado and have never Used Chains - simple - stop - wait - the roads will soon be clear , just wait.

Usually, until November, most of the snow that falls on the roads melts before it is cleared.

We will be returning to Colorado to see the Aspen turning in Mid September and October and we will not likely be so Lucky to see much SNOW - but if we do, I can wait for it to Melt, as it will likely only be as we drive the Toad through the Passes, if at all. We have driven the Coach in the Winter all through Colorado and have even done I-70 in the snow, really not an issue. Do not - drive if you are at all questioning your ability.

Seriously be aware but not intimidated,

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:04 AM   #5

Colorado chain law. It applies to all vehicle. Quite a hefty fine for non-compliance.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/csp/trucki70
Old 09-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #6

The weather in the mountains is unpredictable. It will be nice and dry. Unless it isn't.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:29 PM   #7

been over the passes in October i-70 an 80 its amazing what was suppose to be a light snow does as you climb to higher elevations started with chains on, they had a check point,, before we made it to the top we were in 8-10inches of powder it was hard to relax at the wheel going down was the hardest couldn't touch the brakes thankful to the deep snow it held us back caught my wife in rear mirror on her knees praying & the mule deer on the side of the road watched in amazement.. chunk-chunk-chunk tire ski chain skid all the way down lots of rigs and cars just parked on the road that you had to dodge 5hr. ordeal.... 6hrs later dry sunny 75 deg I make a plan to not go thru the high passes in winter months.. been there done that
1qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can get snow at the higher elevations in early October on I-70 or I-80. Yo are taking your chances this time of year.

If you need chains, it is time to park the rig.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
December 2018 we went from Maine to Park City Utah, in our Class A DP took I70 never had issue going out had to spend extra days in Park City to wait out a snow storm. We carried Autosock rather than chains never planned to use them but were compliant for chain laws. leaving this September to go to Park City but will go I80
Doug29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:52 PM   #10

It snowed in the local mountains last night. It disappeared a few hours after the sun came out.
I was snowed on in a car on the Old Fall River Road halfway up to the Continental Divide one July 4th.
Putting tire chains on a 22.5 inch wheel is no fun and if you do it for the first time in the snow without prior training and practice success is unlikely, injury is possible and misery is assured.
It can be done safely but you must stay up to date with the weather and road conditions using information from a CDOT website and/or recorded phone message lines.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:21 PM   #11

Best way to guarantee you will not need snow chains is to carry them
Unclepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:59 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just watch the weather - you’ll be fine
Old 09-05-2020, 08:41 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As noted, Colorado has a new law that requires MH's to carry chains from mid-September through mid-April else a very hefty fine. Sunday the high in Denver is expected to push 100F. Monday (Labor Day) a front is expected and Tuesday we should get our first snow of the season with a high of only 45F here in the lowlands. The mountains will get more snow. We have known that this front was coming for the past week. I would not plan on traveling through the mountains Tuesday or Wednesday, but expect to get out on Thursday.

We have also had a couple of major fires in the mountains this year. One closed I-70 through Glenwood Canyon for two weeks. It is now open, but is subject to close again due to rock slides if the weather is bad. It was one of the most beautiful drives in the world, but now may not be quite as nice with the blackened hillsides.

September and early October are my favorite time to camp in Colorado - elk rutting, leaves changing colors, crisp evenings and mornings, fewer travelers... Watch the weather and plan around any storms in the mountains and come enjoy our scenery. Worst case, spend an extra day or two in the lowlands. The chain law is there but the odds on getting ticketed are very low, unless you do something stupid and get caught in a snow storm without them.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Do you have to have four sets or only two?

Tags
colorado, utah