Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2021, 07:53 AM   #1

Is Interstate 10 still rough road?

In 2018, we drove Interstate 10 west from Florida to Texas. As I recall, there was extremely rough highway in Louisiana. At the time, we said we would never take that road again. We want to take Interstate 10 east this year and are wondering if we should find another route.

Does anyone recall where this section of highway is located and and has it been repaired?

Rex
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2021, 01:01 PM   #2

We were down there early this spring. I do not recall any smooth roads in Louisiana including I-10. The roads there are awful.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:07 PM   #3

I10 from Houston east through Lake Charles is just awful. Narrow lanes due to construction. We went east that way and decided to take I20 back it was so bad - not that I20 is perfect either....

Once you pick up I12 (New Orleans bypass) as I recall it was good from that point on eastbound.
markpj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:55 PM   #4
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Road conditions are a function of a stateís ability and/or willingness to spend money on them. With the general desire of folks to pay less in taxes, roads are among the first things to suffer.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:54 PM   #5

a simple answer is YES! My experience has been that most all the Interstates are in bad shape for long sections at a time with I-10 the worst. I have found the State maintained highways in much better shape regardless the state and the non interstate federal highways seem to also be much better shape.
It must be the amount of Semi-tractor trailer traffic on the interstate. I use to blame the road conditions on politics but thru that out along time ago. I-40 thru Arkansas was bad before Clinton, during Clinton and after Clinton (Governor or President), so go figure.
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:11 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I-10 is really bad in spots.. Its especially bad between Beaumont TX and Lake Charles LA... another really bad spot is from Lafayette to the Basin Bridge.. alot of construction and lane shifts...
GUS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:32 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanukalum View Post
It must be the amount of Semi-tractor trailer traffic on the interstate. I use to blame the road conditions on politics........,
Yes, blame it on politics. Itís not the trucks. Trucks have weighed 80,000 Lb for a very long time, so the highway designers knew what to do. All across the country there strips of pavement that handle 600K Lbs to 1M Lbs regularly, all day, and do not crumble because they are properly built and maintained. They are called airports.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:51 AM   #8

Do bears sleep in the winter?
Old 06-11-2021, 06:30 AM   #9

Is Interstate 10 still rough road through Gulf states?

Yes!
Kota-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:38 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thatís what shocks and springs are far!
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:31 PM   #11

A friend from Louisiana explained it to me this way. 1, Louisiana is among the poorest states in the US with one of the lowest household incomes. That means little income tax revenue. 2. Much of the interstate system in Louisiana runs through swamps which means they don't have good foundations. He then jokingly said, "and we fill the potholes with dead gators". Someone replied to him that he heard Texas uses dead armadillo! LOL
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:16 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Rev Roy, living in Louisiana myself, the major issue isn't revenue, its what they do with the revenue.. Sales tax in Louisiana is one of the highest in the country. Also the lottery system was supposed to supplement the infrastructure repairs/improvements... I will close by saying the current Governor is not doing us any favors as he has alternate agendas.. shocker lol
GUS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Yes, blame it on politics. Itís not the trucks. Trucks have weighed 80,000 Lb for a very long time, so the highway designers knew what to do. All across the country there strips of pavement that handle 600K Lbs to 1M Lbs regularly, all day, and do not crumble because they are properly built and maintained. They are called airports.

You are correct! The roads can be built better and should be built to handle the heavy loads. My point was the interstates have much more of that heavy loaded traffic than the highway and side roads, therefore they deteriorate much quicker so I choose to use them for a smoother ride.

And yes it always boils down to money and politics!!!!
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
A friend from Louisiana explained it to me this way. 1, Louisiana is among the poorest states in the US with one of the lowest household incomes. That means little income tax revenue. 2. Much of the interstate system in Louisiana runs through swamps which means they don't have good foundations. He then jokingly said, "and we fill the potholes with dead gators". Someone replied to him that he heard Texas uses dead armadillo! LOL
Yes, I must add that the reason I-10 is so bad in Southern California is because of all the swamps next to the roadway! Off subject of the South and the I-10 but even some of the newer constructed freeways in SoCal will shake your teeth out. They cost millions of dollars per mile, so why is this? I gave up looking for the answer because nothing changes.