Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2020, 08:33 PM   #15

Like said your on the mountain side no drop off and no one will be trying to pass you it's a beautiful drive. Semi trucks use the route all the time.
01blueox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2020, 10:27 PM   #16

I have lived in Colorado for 57 years and can't count the number of times I have driven that highway between Ouray and Silverton. But I do not tow my fifth wheel on it! It's not my driving that worries me, it's all the idiots driving too fast coming toward me and not staying on their side of the centerline.

Red Mountain Pass is not the problem; it's the Uncompahgre Gorge that has a rock wall right at the edge of the pavement on the east side of the highway and a sheer cliff, often without a guard rail, on the west side. The reason there is no guard rail is that avalanches take them out and it's too expensive to replace them every summer.

I use CO 62/145 from Ridgeway to Durango when towing. Just as scenic and you can visit spectacular Telluride on CO 145.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:39 PM   #17

I would defer to the opinions of Colorado natives, which I am not. Having said that, however, I have driven that road several times while towing a small trailer. I am comfortable with mountain driving. That road was not a problem for me -- I took it easy, took my time, no sweat.

So I think the answer depends on whether you have done a lot of mountain towing or not.

And having said all of that, I envy my wife -- I have to drive while she gets to look at the scenery. That road is one of the prettiest we've ever seen, or so I have been told.
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:56 PM   #18

I decided to head towards Mesa Verde. I didn't feel like taking the risk. Heading up through 145 north from Dolores to Rico instead. Curious to see how different it is this route.

Visited in Silverton. Beautiful place! I highly recommend a hike to Ice lake if anyone gets the opportunity! I posted a few pictures of the lake.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200731_174556.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	295792Click image for larger version

Name:	20200731_185206.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	295793Click image for larger version

Name:	20200731_181328.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	295794
ethan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:10 PM   #19

Beautiful photos!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:02 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I've towed a 38 ft 5th wheel over that road many a time, just let the exhaust brake do it's job and walk it down, however if you are not experienced in mountain driving/towing you would not enjoy it and could make it dangerous for you so I would say go around if possible. If you decide to go remember, take it slow, gear way down and use the brakes as little as possible, don't ride them!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:04 PM   #21

My wife and I did the drive a couple of months ago. We have been on worse roads. We are a 28-foot Class C Towing a jeep which puts our overall length at 46 feet. No thrills. No problems. It's a narrow Winding Road with lots of hills and lacking guardrails in some places. But overall it was a pretty Drive. I would never consider not taking the road. Just take your time, pay attention, slow down on the curves , and you will have no problems. Be sure to stop at Silverton along the way. We like that little Old Town.
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan1 View Post
I decided to head towards Mesa Verde. I didn't feel like taking the risk. Heading up through 145 north from Dolores to Rico instead. Curious to see how different it is this route.
Good decision! Hope you enjoy CO 145 as much as I do. BTW, there are now 3 USFS campgrounds on that highway with electric hookups. And 3 not-to-miss sights--the Anasazi Museum near Dolores, Trout Lake, and Bridal Veil Falls at the east end of Telluride's box canyon. And I enjoy visiting the Nikola Tesla-designed Ames Hydroelectric Power Plant, the first industrial application of AC power in history. But then I am an engineer, so have interests that are weird to some people (my wife).
Fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:32 AM   #23

Really depends on your experience and confidence

There's many mountain roads with no guard rails....

I have not driven this, but, have been on some very challenging roads... the Pacific Coast Highway and others... like Highway 12 in Utah....

Go slow... don't rush.
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:36 PM   #24

Angry Million Dollar Highway

I am embarrassed to say that I mistakenly got on the Million Dollar Hwy 3 years ago driving a 45 ft Essex and towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We left Grand Jct. on US 550 headed south on an absolutely gorgeous day. The views were spectacular to us being from FL. We were so mesmerized with Oray we neglected looking at road signage. I had no idea of the danger that lurked ahead until I saw a sign that said steep grade for the next 12 miles. : no guard rails, no shoulder and forget about stopping or making a U turn. Do not do it in a MH. My trip planning has changed dramatically.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:14 AM   #25

Would you feel differently if you were driving a Class B?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlawbob View Post
I am embarrassed to say that I mistakenly got on the Million Dollar Hwy 3 years ago driving a 45 ft Essex and towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We left Grand Jct. on US 550 headed south on an absolutely gorgeous day. The views were spectacular to us being from FL. We were so mesmerized with Oray we neglected looking at road signage. I had no idea of the danger that lurked ahead until I saw a sign that said steep grade for the next 12 miles. : no guard rails, no shoulder and forget about stopping or making a U turn. Do not do it in a MH. My trip planning has changed dramatically.
WOW, yeah, a 45 foot plus a toad....how about a single Sprinter 3500???
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Just stay in your lane. Some don't, unfortunately.
You have to wonder - why? What's the one tip from experienced drivers that will keep so many otherwise good drivers from lane wandering? I bet most don't do it normally, just . . . there, and in similar places.

(ETA: I suspect one of those answers is "the driver cannot be one of the people enjoying the scenery!" Solos should consider it to be time wasted. Families of six where the driver is willing to give up all sightseeing inputs are ok.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:44 AM   #27

Here's a "fun" article from the Durango paper about US 550. article
Old 08-18-2020, 03:31 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Not at all-- in a Porsche!
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote