Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #1

Jackson hole route help

Has anyone been through teton pass east to west with a large Class a and what's it like? I recently had a scary descent down the big horn mountains on 14 alt and I'm a little gunshot at this point.

Jim
wd4kaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Came into Jackson Hole that way 3 years ago to avoid construction in Yellowstone. The grades are steep (up to 10°) and the switch backs are tight. We came through in a Jayco Seneca super C and weren't towing. It was challenging but we made it just fine. Downshifted and used the Jake brake. Never broke 35mph. Our traveling companions were in a 40' American Eagle and towing and we could really smell their brakes by the time we were at the bottom!
Old 06-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #3

if 14a made you pucker you will need a" pry bar" when you get off teton pass.
you don't indicate where you are heading after jackson. there is several easier routes
leaving the area.
beaverfever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
WY 22 west from Jackson (Wilson) you climb steadily for quite a long time. At the peak of the pass you will then start decent to Driggs, ID. Slope going up and down is or exceeds 10% for good long stretches. Sharp switchbacks and few pull outs available. Gentlest way west would be W. Yellowstone US 20 to Idaho Falls or even west US 26 from Jackson to Idaho Falls. US 26 follows the Snake River through the mountains, little elevation change.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd4kaq View Post
Has anyone been through teton pass east to west with a large Class a and what's it like? I recently had a scary descent down the big horn mountains on 14 alt and I'm a little gunshot at this point.

Jim
Sorry, should have read more carefully. We drove West to East from West Yellowstone to Jackson.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #6

Thanks for all the help . I will avoid Teton Pass. I should have added that my destination is Glacier National park, west side Kalispell area. It sounds like west Yellowstone route will be lessor a pucker factor. I want no more parts of a 10% grade
wd4kaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd4kaq View Post
I want no more parts of a 10% grade
I suggest that you acquire a copy of Mountain Directory West for Truckers, RVs ... it is available from Amazon.com

Order here

This directory shows all the descents of mountain passes west of the Mississippi River ... I bought one ... I should have bought it earlier ... and please don't ask why I said that.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post

I suggest that you acquire a copy of Mountain Directory West for Truckers, RVs ... it is available from Amazon.com

Order here

This directory shows all the descents of mountain passes west of the Mississippi River ... I bought one ... I should have bought it earlier ... and please don't ask why I said that.
X2. I have the East as well.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #9

x3 - definitely helped me choose the route we are taking!