Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2021, 08:53 AM   #1

Jacksonville Florida to Zion

Seeking route recommendations from FLA to Zion. I have reviewed several routes myself but looking for input from folks that have driven it before.

Two groups driving class c and TT

Thanks
Rick
RK4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2021, 01:06 PM   #2

You may want to double check where you plan to stay in Zion. They had some nasty flash floods and things are tore up there.

https://youtu.be/CtrXjnLFBdE
Old 07-11-2021, 10:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK4RV View Post
Seeking route recommendations from FLA to Zion. I have reviewed several routes myself but looking for input from folks that have driven it before.

Thanks
Rick
Use these way points - Texarkana, TX - Canyon de Chelly, AZ - Page, AZ
- Zion, UT

Will get you there and there will be many opportunities to see things along the way. Avoids big cites along the way in TX.

Great trip - Zion will likely be open and crowded.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Use these way points - Texarkana, TX - Canyon de Chelly, AZ - Page, AZ
- Zion, UT

Will get you there and there will be many opportunities to see things along the way. Avoids big cites along the way in TX.

Great trip - Zion will likely be open and crowded.

Best of Luck,
Amen to that

Escaping the south is the tricky part. The I-10 departure is fine until you get past Biloxi, then it's pretty miserable. The Atlanta-Birmingham-Memphis departure isn't quite as bad, but it's close. Basically you want to cut a diagonal through the deep south at some point. Options:

1. Via Columbus. Excellent highways at least through Columbus, I understand the state of Georgia has engineered a good quality bypass almost all they way to the state line. Still, Birmingham is somewhat irritating and Memphis is just comically bad
2. Via Dothan, which we've done a couple of times, it's not bad, pretty drive actually
3. Via Meridian, which is worth considering. It's been a few years, but my recollection is, 20 isn't bad at all, pleasant drive.

Debatable what to do about Dallas, I hear taking 20 straight through isn't bad these days although we've had some terrible experiences going from east to north. That route through Wichita Falls is really pretty and that sounds like good advice to me.

40 through the Panhandle and New Mexico is good. Road is a little rough in eastern new mexico. Albuquerque is pretty easy, don't go out of your way to hit rush hour.

Kanab is a beautiful town, although reservations might be tricky at this point. You could stage out of St George / Hurricane. We stayed at the Hurricane KOA recently which is pretty convenient to the Zion visitor center, where you can catch shuttles through the park. Better than navigating traffic, and way better than trying to squeeze a rig through the tunnel. I don't know why they call it "Hurricane." You can laugh "ha-ha" at that one. Call for directions, Google will route you down 5300W which is not recommended.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK4RV View Post

Thanks
Rick
We just made reservations at Zion River RV Resort for next year and they told us they were not affected by the rain at their locations
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:38 PM   #6

Do you have a place reserved for staying around Zion? That makes a difference as to how to get there. You can come in from all directions.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #7

Are you looking for fastest, smoothest interstate highway route, or a slower scenic route?
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Do you have a place reserved for staying around Zion? That makes a difference as to how to get there. You can come in from all directions.
Trip is first week of Oct, as of now Zion Canyon RV park.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Are you looking for fastest, smoothest interstate highway route, or a slower scenic route?
Yes. lol Looking for options on all the above. I have routed several routes via RV trip wizard but its nice to hear from people that have actually driven the full route in the past since lines on a map really don't say much about the experience.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:03 PM   #10

Get yourself to Albuquerque, NM on I-40.

I-40 west, exit at Gallup, NM to 491/26 to 191 north into Arizona.

Pick up 59 at Many Farms, AZ to 160. Stop for a night or two at Canyon de Chelly Nat'l Monument. You could also take 191 north to 160 west.

Once on 160 you are very close to Monument Valley on Hwy 163 - worth a stop. Take a tour. Gouldings RV is the place to stay.

Back on 160 west you'll have some alternate choices:

- Take 160 to 98 into Page, AZ on Hwy 89. Stop and take an Antelope Canyon tour & there's also a Glen Canyon Dam tour.

- Continue on 89 to Kanab, Utah. Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is worth a tour (call first) or you can do it on your own but will miss the good commentary of a tour. It's a no-kill facility for all kinds of animals and is set in a beautiful red rock canyon setting.

Coral Pink Sands State Park is also near Kanab, UT - you won't believe the color of the dunes.

North Rim of Grand Canyon can also be easily accessed from Kanab by heading south on 89 to Alt 89 at Fredonia, AZ (a very short drive), then 89A to Jacob Lake, AZ and 64 south to Grand Canyon.

From Kanab, UT take 89 a little north to Hwy 9 west which will take you into Zion and then out of the park to Springdale where your RV park is. Hwy 9 from this direction - you have to drive through the Mt. Carmel Tunnels and then down a steep, curvy hill into Zion.

Alternates - Mix & Match: From AZ160 continue to Tuba City (good place for fuel on the Indian Reservation which is usually cheaper) and go to 89 north. Instead of going into Page, AZ pick up 89A heading to Jacob Lake, AZ. Soon after getting on 89A you'll come to Lee's Ferry Nat'l Rec Area campground - very pretty overlooking the Colorado River. It's where the Grand Canyon River rafters put in for their trip.

Continuing on 89A west to Jacob Lake you'll have a curvy steep, short climb - very doable with a RV. At Jacob Lake take Hwy 64 south to Grand Canyon North Rim. There a campground there & also RV parks in Jacob Lake.

If you don't want to go to Grand Canyon (not far) then continue on 89A to Fredonia, AZ and pick up AZ Hwy 389 which becomes UT 59 to UT 9. Head east on Hwy 9 to Springdale and your RV park. This is a very easy, scenic drive.

So if you do the alternate route to Page to Kanab on 89 you can easily take 89 south to Fredonia & then AZ389 to UT59/9.

Lots of choices in beautiful country!

Each national parks has a terrific web site listing things to do, special alerts, road information, campgrounds and maps. Check them all out. Here in Canyon de Chelly's:

https://www.nps.gov/cach/index.htm

Looking at this website I do notice that it's closed because of Covid but things may change before you go so check often. This is on the Navajo Indian Reservation and many attractions are closed to the general public but may be open by the time of your trip. The reservation doesn't have big medical facilities like other places to treat Covid so they have been extremely careful with outside visitors.

We've driven all these highways with our 40' motorhome and visited all the stops at one time or another and some repeat visits! Have a good trip.

Don't forget.... you're now in the immediate area of Bryce Canyon National Park, Capitol Reef Nat'l Park, Canyonlands and Arches Nat'l Park on I-70 and then continue home from I-70. You're so close & would be a shame to pass them up. How often would you do this trip?

Allow a month or more for this trip... best at two months!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Get yourself to Albuquerque, NM on I-40.

I-40 west, exit at Gallup, NM to 491/26 to 191 north into Arizona.

Pick up 59 at Many Farms, AZ to 160. Stop for a night or two at Canyon de Chelly Nat'l Monument. You could also take 191 north to 160 west.

Once on 160 you are very close to Monument Valley on Hwy 163 - worth a stop. Take a tour. Gouldings RV is the place to stay.

Back on 160 west you'll have some alternate choices:

- Take 160 to 98 into Page, AZ on Hwy 89. Stop and take an Antelope Canyon tour & there's also a Glen Canyon Dam tour.

- Continue on 89 to Kanab, Utah. Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is worth a tour (call first) or you can do it on your own but will miss the good commentary of a tour. It's a no-kill facility for all kinds of animals and is set in a beautiful red rock canyon setting.

Coral Pink Sands State Park is also near Kanab, UT - you won't believe the color of the dunes.

North Rim of Grand Canyon can also be easily accessed from Kanab by heading south on 89 to Alt 89 at Fredonia, AZ (a very short drive), then 89A to Jacob Lake, AZ and 64 south to Grand Canyon.

From Kanab, UT take 89 a little north to Hwy 9 west which will take you into Zion and then out of the park to Springdale where your RV park is. Hwy 9 from this direction - you have to drive through the Mt. Carmel Tunnels and then down a steep, curvy hill into Zion.

Alternates - Mix & Match: From AZ160 continue to Tuba City (good place for fuel on the Indian Reservation which is usually cheaper) and go to 89 north. Instead of going into Page, AZ pick up 89A heading to Jacob Lake, AZ. Soon after getting on 89A you'll come to Lee's Ferry Nat'l Rec Area campground - very pretty overlooking the Colorado River. It's where the Grand Canyon River rafters put in for their trip.

Continuing on 89A west to Jacob Lake you'll have a curvy steep, short climb - very doable with a RV. At Jacob Lake take Hwy 64 south to Grand Canyon North Rim. There a campground there & also RV parks in Jacob Lake.

If you don't want to go to Grand Canyon (not far) then continue on 89A to Fredonia, AZ and pick up AZ Hwy 389 which becomes UT 59 to UT 9. Head east on Hwy 9 to Springdale and your RV park. This is a very easy, scenic drive.

So if you do the alternate route to Page to Kanab on 89 you can easily take 89 south to Fredonia & then AZ389 to UT59/9.

Lots of choices in beautiful country!

Each national parks has a terrific web site listing things to do, special alerts, road information, campgrounds and maps. Check them all out. Here in Canyon de Chelly's:

https://www.nps.gov/cach/index.htm

Looking at this website I do notice that it's closed because of Covid but things may change before you go so check often. This is on the Navajo Indian Reservation and many attractions are closed to the general public but may be open by the time of your trip. The reservation doesn't have big medical facilities like other places to treat Covid so they have been extremely careful with outside visitors.

We've driven all these highways with our 40' motorhome and visited all the stops at one time or another and some repeat visits! Have a good trip.

Don't forget.... you're now in the immediate area of Bryce Canyon National Park, Capitol Reef Nat'l Park, Canyonlands and Arches Nat'l Park on I-70 and then continue home from I-70. You're so close & would be a shame to pass them up. How often would you do this trip?

Allow a month or more for this trip... best at two months!
Thank you for taking the time to provide this information very nice..

Best regards
Rick
Old 07-16-2021, 07:51 AM   #12

Just FYI we were at Zion in April. Gate closed by 9-10 am as park was full. Even with rain and high winds it was crowed We got there about 30-45 minutes before ranger station opened. Still a long line.
Old 07-16-2021, 12:17 PM   #13

Jacksonville Florida to Zion

twogypsies has always given the best route information and I have followed his advise on my previous trips.

Did the Zion trip from Tampa this past May so Iíll add one road to avoid. I49 north from Shreveport to Texarkana was by far the roughest teeth chattering road I have ever driven. A concrete highway without potholes but the expansion joints rattled the coach for about 100 miles. Iíll never take it again.

82 to 287 to I40 west was a nice drive.

Tags
florida, jacks