Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-09-2021, 08:53 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: St.johns, Fl
Posts: 38
Jacksonville Florida to Zion

Seeking route recommendations from FLA to Zion. I have reviewed several routes myself but looking for input from folks that have driven it before.


Two groups driving class c and TT



Thanks
Rick
__________________
RK4RV - Florida
2021 Tiffin Wayfarer 25 RW
Learning The RV Life..
RK4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2021, 01:06 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
STRich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 21
You may want to double check where you plan to stay in Zion. They had some nasty flash floods and things are tore up there.

https://youtu.be/CtrXjnLFBdE
__________________
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire 4529
Spartan K2 Chassis
STRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:13 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Busskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD -- Golden, CO
Posts: 6,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by RK4RV View Post
Seeking route recommendations from FLA to Zion. I have reviewed several routes myself but looking for input from folks that have driven it before.


Two groups driving class c and TT



Thanks
Rick
Use these way points - Texarkana, TX - Canyon de Chelly, AZ - Page, AZ
- Zion, UT

Will get you there and there will be many opportunities to see things along the way. Avoids big cites along the way in TX.

Great trip - Zion will likely be open and crowded.

Best of Luck,
__________________
Busskipper
Location - Grasonville, Maryland - and/or - Superior, Colorado
2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04 - GX470 Toad
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:18 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Use these way points - Texarkana, TX - Canyon de Chelly, AZ - Page, AZ
- Zion, UT

Will get you there and there will be many opportunities to see things along the way. Avoids big cites along the way in TX.

Great trip - Zion will likely be open and crowded.

Best of Luck,
Amen to that

Escaping the south is the tricky part. The I-10 departure is fine until you get past Biloxi, then it's pretty miserable. The Atlanta-Birmingham-Memphis departure isn't quite as bad, but it's close. Basically you want to cut a diagonal through the deep south at some point. Options:

1. Via Columbus. Excellent highways at least through Columbus, I understand the state of Georgia has engineered a good quality bypass almost all they way to the state line. Still, Birmingham is somewhat irritating and Memphis is just comically bad
2. Via Dothan, which we've done a couple of times, it's not bad, pretty drive actually
3. Via Meridian, which is worth considering. It's been a few years, but my recollection is, 20 isn't bad at all, pleasant drive.

Debatable what to do about Dallas, I hear taking 20 straight through isn't bad these days although we've had some terrible experiences going from east to north. That route through Wichita Falls is really pretty and that sounds like good advice to me.

40 through the Panhandle and New Mexico is good. Road is a little rough in eastern new mexico. Albuquerque is pretty easy, don't go out of your way to hit rush hour.

Kanab is a beautiful town, although reservations might be tricky at this point. You could stage out of St George / Hurricane. We stayed at the Hurricane KOA recently which is pretty convenient to the Zion visitor center, where you can catch shuttles through the park. Better than navigating traffic, and way better than trying to squeeze a rig through the tunnel. I don't know why they call it "Hurricane." You can laugh "ha-ha" at that one. Call for directions, Google will route you down 5300W which is not recommended.
__________________
2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus
Fiat 500
TampaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:39 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by RK4RV View Post
Seeking route recommendations from FLA to Zion. I have reviewed several routes myself but looking for input from folks that have driven it before.


Two groups driving class c and TT



Thanks
Rick
We just made reservations at Zion River RV Resort for next year and they told us they were not affected by the rain at their locations
__________________
2018 Road Warrior 427/2016 golf cart (gas)
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:38 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 14,364
Do you have a place reserved for staying around Zion? That makes a difference as to how to get there. You can come in from all directions.
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . .
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Isaac-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SW Louisiana
Posts: 6,189
Are you looking for fastest, smoothest interstate highway route, or a slower scenic route?
__________________
2002 Safari Trek 2830 on P32 Chassis with 8.1L w/ 400 watts solar
2017 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD with Even Brake,
Demco Commander tow bar and Blue Ox base plate
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:50 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: St.johns, Fl
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Do you have a place reserved for staying around Zion? That makes a difference as to how to get there. You can come in from all directions.
Trip is first week of Oct, as of now Zion Canyon RV park.
__________________
RK4RV - Florida
2021 Tiffin Wayfarer 25 RW
Learning The RV Life..
RK4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:52 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: St.johns, Fl
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Are you looking for fastest, smoothest interstate highway route, or a slower scenic route?
Yes. lol Looking for options on all the above. I have routed several routes via RV trip wizard but its nice to hear from people that have actually driven the full route in the past since lines on a map really don't say much about the experience.
__________________
RK4RV - Florida
2021 Tiffin Wayfarer 25 RW
Learning The RV Life..
RK4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:03 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 14,364
Get yourself to Albuquerque, NM on I-40.

I-40 west, exit at Gallup, NM to 491/26 to 191 north into Arizona.

Pick up 59 at Many Farms, AZ to 160. Stop for a night or two at Canyon de Chelly Nat'l Monument. You could also take 191 north to 160 west.

Once on 160 you are very close to Monument Valley on Hwy 163 - worth a stop. Take a tour. Gouldings RV is the place to stay.

Back on 160 west you'll have some alternate choices:

- Take 160 to 98 into Page, AZ on Hwy 89. Stop and take an Antelope Canyon tour & there's also a Glen Canyon Dam tour.

- Continue on 89 to Kanab, Utah. Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is worth a tour (call first) or you can do it on your own but will miss the good commentary of a tour. It's a no-kill facility for all kinds of animals and is set in a beautiful red rock canyon setting.

Coral Pink Sands State Park is also near Kanab, UT - you won't believe the color of the dunes.

North Rim of Grand Canyon can also be easily accessed from Kanab by heading south on 89 to Alt 89 at Fredonia, AZ (a very short drive), then 89A to Jacob Lake, AZ and 64 south to Grand Canyon.

From Kanab, UT take 89 a little north to Hwy 9 west which will take you into Zion and then out of the park to Springdale where your RV park is. Hwy 9 from this direction - you have to drive through the Mt. Carmel Tunnels and then down a steep, curvy hill into Zion.

Alternates - Mix & Match: From AZ160 continue to Tuba City (good place for fuel on the Indian Reservation which is usually cheaper) and go to 89 north. Instead of going into Page, AZ pick up 89A heading to Jacob Lake, AZ. Soon after getting on 89A you'll come to Lee's Ferry Nat'l Rec Area campground - very pretty overlooking the Colorado River. It's where the Grand Canyon River rafters put in for their trip.

Continuing on 89A west to Jacob Lake you'll have a curvy steep, short climb - very doable with a RV. At Jacob Lake take Hwy 64 south to Grand Canyon North Rim. There a campground there & also RV parks in Jacob Lake.

If you don't want to go to Grand Canyon (not far) then continue on 89A to Fredonia, AZ and pick up AZ Hwy 389 which becomes UT 59 to UT 9. Head east on Hwy 9 to Springdale and your RV park. This is a very easy, scenic drive.

So if you do the alternate route to Page to Kanab on 89 you can easily take 89 south to Fredonia & then AZ389 to UT59/9.

Lots of choices in beautiful country!

Each national parks has a terrific web site listing things to do, special alerts, road information, campgrounds and maps. Check them all out. Here in Canyon de Chelly's:

https://www.nps.gov/cach/index.htm

Looking at this website I do notice that it's closed because of Covid but things may change before you go so check often. This is on the Navajo Indian Reservation and many attractions are closed to the general public but may be open by the time of your trip. The reservation doesn't have big medical facilities like other places to treat Covid so they have been extremely careful with outside visitors.

We've driven all these highways with our 40' motorhome and visited all the stops at one time or another and some repeat visits! Have a good trip.

Don't forget.... you're now in the immediate area of Bryce Canyon National Park, Capitol Reef Nat'l Park, Canyonlands and Arches Nat'l Park on I-70 and then continue home from I-70. You're so close & would be a shame to pass them up. How often would you do this trip?

Allow a month or more for this trip... best at two months!
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . .
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:02 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: St.johns, Fl
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Get yourself to Albuquerque, NM on I-40.

I-40 west, exit at Gallup, NM to 491/26 to 191 north into Arizona.

Pick up 59 at Many Farms, AZ to 160. Stop for a night or two at Canyon de Chelly Nat'l Monument. You could also take 191 north to 160 west.

Once on 160 you are very close to Monument Valley on Hwy 163 - worth a stop. Take a tour. Gouldings RV is the place to stay.

Back on 160 west you'll have some alternate choices:

- Take 160 to 98 into Page, AZ on Hwy 89. Stop and take an Antelope Canyon tour & there's also a Glen Canyon Dam tour.

- Continue on 89 to Kanab, Utah. Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is worth a tour (call first) or you can do it on your own but will miss the good commentary of a tour. It's a no-kill facility for all kinds of animals and is set in a beautiful red rock canyon setting.

Coral Pink Sands State Park is also near Kanab, UT - you won't believe the color of the dunes.

North Rim of Grand Canyon can also be easily accessed from Kanab by heading south on 89 to Alt 89 at Fredonia, AZ (a very short drive), then 89A to Jacob Lake, AZ and 64 south to Grand Canyon.

From Kanab, UT take 89 a little north to Hwy 9 west which will take you into Zion and then out of the park to Springdale where your RV park is. Hwy 9 from this direction - you have to drive through the Mt. Carmel Tunnels and then down a steep, curvy hill into Zion.

Alternates - Mix & Match: From AZ160 continue to Tuba City (good place for fuel on the Indian Reservation which is usually cheaper) and go to 89 north. Instead of going into Page, AZ pick up 89A heading to Jacob Lake, AZ. Soon after getting on 89A you'll come to Lee's Ferry Nat'l Rec Area campground - very pretty overlooking the Colorado River. It's where the Grand Canyon River rafters put in for their trip.

Continuing on 89A west to Jacob Lake you'll have a curvy steep, short climb - very doable with a RV. At Jacob Lake take Hwy 64 south to Grand Canyon North Rim. There a campground there & also RV parks in Jacob Lake.

If you don't want to go to Grand Canyon (not far) then continue on 89A to Fredonia, AZ and pick up AZ Hwy 389 which becomes UT 59 to UT 9. Head east on Hwy 9 to Springdale and your RV park. This is a very easy, scenic drive.

So if you do the alternate route to Page to Kanab on 89 you can easily take 89 south to Fredonia & then AZ389 to UT59/9.

Lots of choices in beautiful country!

Each national parks has a terrific web site listing things to do, special alerts, road information, campgrounds and maps. Check them all out. Here in Canyon de Chelly's:

https://www.nps.gov/cach/index.htm

Looking at this website I do notice that it's closed because of Covid but things may change before you go so check often. This is on the Navajo Indian Reservation and many attractions are closed to the general public but may be open by the time of your trip. The reservation doesn't have big medical facilities like other places to treat Covid so they have been extremely careful with outside visitors.

We've driven all these highways with our 40' motorhome and visited all the stops at one time or another and some repeat visits! Have a good trip.

Don't forget.... you're now in the immediate area of Bryce Canyon National Park, Capitol Reef Nat'l Park, Canyonlands and Arches Nat'l Park on I-70 and then continue home from I-70. You're so close & would be a shame to pass them up. How often would you do this trip?

Allow a month or more for this trip... best at two months!
Thank you for taking the time to provide this information very nice..



Best regards
Rick
__________________
RK4RV - Florida
2021 Tiffin Wayfarer 25 RW
Learning The RV Life..
RK4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:51 AM   #12
Member
 
DerekF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Where we are parked at
Posts: 84
Just FYI we were at Zion in April. Gate closed by 9-10 am as park was full. Even with rain and high winds it was crowed We got there about 30-45 minutes before ranger station opened. Still a long line.
__________________
2021 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M
DerekF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:17 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
lass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tarpon Springs, Fl.
Posts: 1,431
Jacksonville Florida to Zion

twogypsies has always given the best route information and I have followed his advise on my previous trips.

Did the Zion trip from Tampa this past May so Iíll add one road to avoid. I49 north from Shreveport to Texarkana was by far the roughest teeth chattering road I have ever driven. A concrete highway without potholes but the expansion joints rattled the coach for about 100 miles. Iíll never take it again.

82 to 287 to I40 west was a nice drive.
__________________
2013 Newmar Ventana 3434
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
florida, jacks



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zion :: 2017 Roadtrek Zion jlgjmag7 iRV2 Owners Registry 0 04-15-2019 07:11 AM
Florida near Jacksonville Beach? Born2RV Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 6 05-11-2017 07:29 AM
Seeking Recommendations: Area of Jacksonville, Florida - rewillia Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 7 04-29-2017 11:54 AM
Jacksonville Florida Campgrounds. Bee950 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 7 12-16-2011 09:12 PM
Advice for places to see near Jacksonville, Florida Darlene7 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 6 05-16-2010 08:22 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.