Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
January roads - southern Oregon & northern Calif.

Last year was our first year of snow birding. In early January headed down I-5 from the Vancouver, BC to California then cut through Bakersfield and over to Nevada and Arizona. The weather was great and the mountain passes in southern California (Grants Pass area) were bare and dry. After spending a night at Seven Feathers in Canyonville, OR we crossed over the pass and left the winter weather behind us as we drifter south through California.

In early January we'll be heading out again with our first planned stop being a Newmar Kountry Klub gathering in Quartzsite, AZ January 13, 2016.

If I-5 does not look good (snow on roadway):
  • Which is the best road over to Hwy-101 on the Oregon Coast?
  • Once south into California, which is the best route leading back over to I-5 further?
I have travelled both I-5 and the coastal route many times on my motorcycle but then it was summer and I was looking for twisty roads. In our 43 ft. MADP w/toad I like to stay away from roads that are less twisted and where I am least likely to encounter winter snow. I do have chains on board (legal requirement) but I don’t plan on using them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #2

Check road conditions for Hwy 199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City when you get there. I don't know of another better alternative. Work your way back to the I-5 somewhere around Vallejo or Berkley. I-5 to Hwy 58, Buttonwillow, East on 58, ties into I-40. I would take I-40 to Exit 9 (AZ Hwy 95) in AZ down through Lake Havasu City and Parker. Maybe there is better ways. Someone else can volunteer.

Be sure to check Hwy 58 for going across the Tehachapis. Potential snow/ice. Check the Caltrans site for Hwy 58.

Anything can happen this time of year. Also, It is an El Nino year! Good Luck
Old 11-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ron H
Your motorhome is 43 foot. You need to be aware hwy 199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City. California has a length restriction of 40 foot for buses and motorhomes. I live off 199 about 3 miles north of the CA/OR border and do see many motorhomes that I suspect are over 40 feet long heading south so presume the 40 foot restriction is not enforced.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Ron H
Your motorhome is 43 foot. You need to be aware hwy 199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City. California has a length restriction of 40 foot for buses and motorhomes. I live off 199 about 3 miles north of the CA/OR border and do see many motorhomes that I suspect are over 40 feet long heading south so presume the 40 foot restriction is not enforced.
Yes, you are correct, there is are restrictions on Hwy-199. It is a great road though and one I had taken a few times before cutting off on the summer only road to Happy Camp.

I had heard that one of Oregon's I-5 to Hwy-101 roads did not go over any mountain passes and would therefore be a good bet for snow free winter travel.

Once in California many of the Hwy-101 to I-5 roads are very twisty, like Hwy-36, and would be a poor choice for a big rig. I recall someone mentioning a good cut over road that was further north allowed one to come back over before getting into the Napa Valley and San Fran area.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #5

To get from the 101 to the 5, we have taken the 20 in Northern California. It's a fine road.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:44 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
It may mean committing to the coast route a little further North than you prefer but I think you'll find Hwy 38 between I-5 and the coast to be a much more pleasant drive in a motor home. It passes through the little town of Drain then follows the Umpqua River to Reedsport which is about 25 miles north of Coos Bay. Last several miles has great wildlife viewing, esp elk.

Look for exit 162 on Sbound I-5. Safe travels.
Sneelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneelock View Post
It may mean committing to the coast route a little further North than you prefer but I think you'll find Hwy 38 between I-5 and the coast to be a much more pleasant drive in a motor home. It passes through the little town of Drain then follows the Umpqua River to Reedsport which is about 25 miles north of Coos Bay. Last several miles has great wildlife viewing, esp elk.

Look for exit 162 on Sbound I-5. Safe travels.
I recall taking that road from west to east on my motorcycle, especially coming through Drain, OR. Unfortunately that was prior to our switch to an RV so I was not looking at it from that perspective then.

We'll watch the road conditions and if they don't look promising we'll turn off onto Hwy-38 to go over to Reedsport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
To get from the 101 to the 5, we have taken the 20 in Northern California. It's a fine road.
I notice the highway splits into Hwy-20 and 16 about half way between Clear Lake and I-5. Which fork do you recommend, Hwy-20 northeast to connect with I-5 at Williams or Hwy-16 across Hwy-505 to connect with I-5 at Woodland?

Thanks for the help with this everyone.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #8

We took the 20 into Williams.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:03 PM   #9

I5 between Eugene to the border is pretty mountainess. If I5 looks iffy, I would head to the coast no later than Salem. Hwy22 out of Salem is a easy drive. The hwy 18 coast range pass is pretty low, I think around 800 feet, so weather can have snow, but not real common.