Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2021, 03:28 PM   #1
M2D

Juno Beach Florida to Monument Valley

We know that Monument Valley is currently closed due to Covid. We are planning to visit the area anyway.

We have been studying Google Maps but will bow to your superior knowledge as to road conditions and traffic issues in choice of route. Would rather avoid big cities if possible.
Would appreciate your advice, many thanks,

Michele and Mark
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2021, 04:22 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We traveled to Monument Valley last year (March) via Santa Fe. From Santa Fe we traveled on I-25S to Bernallilo NM and then took US-550 north to Bloomfield and US-64. We followed US-64 then US-160 west to Kayenta, AZ and US-163. Monument Valley is to the North off 163. On our way there, Monument Valley, as well as 4-Corners closed due to Covid-19. We ended up staying a few nights at Goulding's and really liked it there. Hopefully things will open back up for you, but there's still plenty to see around there. To name a few, Mexican Hat Rock, Moki Dugway, Gooseneck SP, Valley of the Gods and others. And the night sky on a clear night is amazing. The roads from Santa Fe that I mentioned were good, interesting to drive and we had no problems finding gas. Hope this helps. We plan another trip to Monument Valley this Fall. Fingers crossed.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2D View Post

We have been studying Google Maps but will bow to your superior knowledge as to road conditions and traffic issues in choice of route. Would rather avoid big cities if possible.
There are a LOT of roads between Florida and Utah. It would probably be more helpful if you'd supply us with a planned route or two and then we could tell you if it's good or not.

The route depends on driving interstates, secondary roads, what you want to see between start and finish, how much time you have, etc.

Help us out a little!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:06 PM   #4

Since you’re coming from FLA...you’ll have to work your way to I10 a d hang a left. You can take I10 as far as you want till you turn North. I would recommend hanging a right on I55 in MS and then Left on I40. Nice easy ride and you can work your way to Monument Valley on some cool back roads starting in New Mexico. Rand McNally Trucker Atlas is your friend. You can also download their App.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:32 PM   #5

Did the reverse last Nov. after doing the Big 5 in Utah. Monument Valley to Gallup on 191/264 to Albuquerque then I-40 thru Santa Rosa to Amarillo then Hwy 287 down to Wichita Falls then Hwy 82 to Texarkana then I-49 thru Shreveport down to I-10 east. Take I-12 to avoid New Orleans then back onto I-10.

The only "bad" roads were any secondary road in AZ & UT.

It was the middle of the pandemic and we had no problems anywhere. Just be respectful and wear your mask. Monument Valley was closed but Valley of the Gods is incredible (a short drive from MV and open).
Old 04-11-2021, 06:20 PM   #6
M2D

Juno Beach to Monument Valley

I should have been more clear. We are going directly to Monument Valley with no stops along the way beyond doing our usual 300-400 miles a day and resting for the night.

We have the trucker atlas which is a great tool. Our main issue is that Google maps wants to send us through Atlanta or Dallas both of which we would just as soon avoid. We have traveled on 10 across country before and also done a fair amount of 40 in the past. We will be seeing places in Arizona, Colorado, Utah and Wyoming that we have not seen on previous trips.

We are from MA and will be going home via 90 after seeing Theodore Roosevelt NP and a few other sights along the way.

Thanks,

Michele and Mark
Old 04-11-2021, 06:35 PM   #7

That's a long haul! 2200 miles

Google Maps didn't send me to Atlanta but did to Dallas.

I-75 N to I-10 west
At Mobile take 98 to Hattisburg
49 to Jackson
I-20 to 69 at Tyler, TX & to avoid Dallas/Fort Work continue on 69 to
82 west at Denison, TX
287 at Wichita Falls to I-40 at Amarillo to Albuquerque to Gallup, NM
(plenty of secondary roads to take to avoid Albuquerque if you want)
264 to 191 north to Kayenta, NM then
163 north to Monument Valley, AZ
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:04 AM   #8
M2D

Wanting to explain our strategy in making such a long 2200 miles long journey to get to Monument Valley. We were vaccinated in Feb and second shot in mid March. We have stayed home since the pandemic first broke' out last year. We are retired and in our early seventies. We had cancelled our winter visit ti Juno Beach but decided after being vaccinated that we could spend the month of April still socail distancing and also being respectful of the health of others in our habits.

We usually travel in the shoulder season to the many very popular National Parks as well as other places of interest. We thought about it and realized that we might have a decent chance of getting to the places out west we have missed in the past before the chikdren are out of school and also the tourists from other countries are much fewer than in the past so far as the tour buses and demand for campground space for the rental rvs goes. We are aware that last summer the rentals went to US citizens wanting to travel safely and enjoy the out of doors. We have nothing against traveling families and wish them all the best in enjoying our beautiful country. We are happy to stay out of their way all summer staying home on the east coast and enjoying our small boat.
We have been fortunate over the years to have seen somr wonderful places at times we were not subject to mobs of people. Sometimes you acheive this just depending on the hour of the day you visit. We have learned so much here on IRV2 about the best ways to see and enjoy different places and are grateful for the advice.

Michele and Mark
Old 04-12-2021, 05:06 AM   #9
M2D

Sorry, I see I had a few mispellings in my last message. It is not so much that I cannot spell it is more that my typing skills are not the best

Michele
Old 04-12-2021, 08:35 AM   #10

You can always "edit". Then "save" your corrected message.

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:08 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is way too far to go unless you've got at least 2 weeks. A month will be far more relaxing. It might be anticlimactic, once you get to Monument Valley really won't take you that long to see it.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:26 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Our preferred route from the east coast of FL is....

I-95 to Jax
I-295 around Jax to I-10
I-10 to Mobile
the to Hattiesburg, MS and then Jackson, MS
I-20 to (and thru Dallas)
(you can take I-49N at Shreveport to Texarcana and 82 to Wichita Falls)
then to Amarillo
then I-40 to Albuquerque, NM

from there it sort of depends what you want to see/do on your way to Monument Valley.

Monument Valley, as a "destination" isn't much of a thrill (at least not for us). It's just a stop in between places.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:21 AM   #13
M2D

Thanks to all for your advice. We are in Juno Beach vacationing. Monument Valley is just the start of a 6 week trip out west. After that we will be returning to our home north of Boston in MA. Getting to Monument Valley is just the start of the next phase of our trip.

Michele and Mark

Tags
florida