Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #1

Kingman, AZ, to Moab, UT

We are currently in Meadview, AZ, near Kingman, enjoying Grand Canyon West and the Joshua Tree forests. Our next destination is Moab, Utah. Google Maps tells us it is only 5 minutes difference to go thru Vegas, up I-15 and over to Moab on I-70 vs. taking I-40 to Flagstaff and heading northeast on 89, 160, 163 & 191. Are wondering if the elevation changes and mountain passes favor one route over the other. Anyone care to chime in with their knowledge of Northern AZ and Utah? Thanks in advance,
Ron & Ginny
06 HR Scepter 42
bluetoad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
If you have time go the Vegas way and then through Zion, Brice Canyon, Glen Canyon & Canyonlands National Parks. Beautiful country & trip across Southern Utah.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
If you have time go the Vegas way and then through Zion, Brice Canyon, Glen Canyon & Canyonlands National Parks. Beautiful country & trip across Southern Utah.
Bob
If you choose to do this, be aware that if you cut through Zion via Highway 9 over to Highway 89, you go through a very long tunnel and they have to shut down traffic to make it one-way for rigs like (y)ours. But, it is a great suggestion if you have never seen Zion and Bryce.

I would recommend Bauer's Canyon RV park in Glendale, UT

There is another good RV park on the west side of Zion called Zion Canyon RV Park.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #4

Capital Reef National Park is also a real scenic treasure ... there are two great drives in your toad ... and there are several nice short hikes.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:28 AM   #5

If you head up to Bryce, there is a great State Campground: Kodachrome State Park, about 20 miles beyond Bryce.

If you get to Capitol Reef and you want a nice dinner out, try Diablo Cafe just west (?) of Torrey Utah. It is a most wonderful and unlikely find out in the middle of nowhere. Also, if you head out from C. Reef going east, thee are several stops to see rock art. Visitors center at C Reef can guide you.

Matter of fact, if rock art is of interest to you, there is a great deal of it in this area. Again, check with visitors center.
SF Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:39 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Think about the route you described through Flagstaff then up 163 into and through beautiful Monument Valley on your way up to Moab. Ya might even want to spent a night or two there as you pass through....it's very nice. For your comparison sake, we travel in a 45' pusher towing a Honda Element and you'll have no trouble with that route.

Steve & Lynette
Old 04-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #7

Ron & Ginny,

I-15 is a pretty scenic route from NV to St. George, UT. It winds its way thru some interesting canyons. St. George, UT is beautiful and worth a stop. Zion NP is fantastic this time of year, we arrived in late April a couple of years ago. We did a day trip up to Bryce NP, the key word is UP. Bryce is mostly in the 8,000' or higher range. We did our trip on April 30th in '08 and were not dressed for temps in the 30's day and winds that could blow you off your feet. Night temps were low teens and most CG's in the area were still closed (and still had lots of snow). So keep an eye on the weather and dress warm if you are headed up that way.

Bob
Old 04-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
I egas to went through Vegas to St. George great place then on to Zion. going on 89 trough the tunnel that was built in 1939 before rvs so it is very narrow they do hold traffic while you go though right down the middle. It cost $15.00 to have them close the tunnel for you. I don't have a fear of hights but I do have a small problem with switchbacks you go up 1,000 ft to the tunnel but I made it I was just there last week and brice ,was still snowed in. I went to Lake powell az and loved it. Hope this helps
Ryegal is offline   Reply With Quote