Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2022, 01:47 PM   #1

Lake George, NY to Colchester, VT

I have a 39' Class A towing a Ford Explorer. In August I will be traveling from the south side of Lake George (Ledgeview RV Park) to Colchester, VT. RVTripWizard has me taking SR-149 to Fort Ann and picking up US-4, and taking that to I-89.

I lived in VT in the 80's and drove that route a few times in my car. For some reason I remember it being a tight drive through the Rutland area and west.

I think that I can take my RV on any US numbered highway, but I am a bit concerned about that routing.

The option is to go north from Lake George on I-87 and cross over Lake Champlain just south of the Canadian border.

Any thoughts from someone that has done the US-4 route?? Am I worrying too much?

Thanks.

PS- I have driven some pretty snarky roads before, such as US-550 from Durango to Grand Junction when it was under repair and only one lane, US-64 from the east into Taos, and many others that were pretty winding and narrow. No issues with any of them, but for some reason US-4 is bothering me.....
ccsmith51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2022, 07:23 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That’s a lot of “East” before you head North. I’m not quite sure the logic of the software but by my math, taking 4 all the way to I-89 (White River Jct) almost doubles the trip. I’m in the Burlington/Colchester area next while we don’t tow, I still think the route we run to Lake George (I was out Moose Hillock just down the road from Ledgeview last Summer) would work for you just fine and be a LOT shorter drive. The route below follows Lake Champlain up to the Burlington area, it’s a pretty drive in many spots with the lake and the mtns.

Rot 149 to Fort Ann. Pickup Rt 4.
Rt 4 to Fair Haven VT. Pickup 22A North.
22A to Vergennes. Pickup Rt 7 North.
In South Burlington, pickup 189 which will take you to I-89.
Take I-89 North 2-3 exits for Colchester.

Depending on where you are at in Colchester (Lone Pine or Mallets Bay Campground?) you will want either Exit 16 or 17.

As I said, I don’t tow but my coach is just under 37 feet and I’ve never had an issue that way, done it MANY times.

Happy to help more, let me know.
Old 02-16-2022, 03:54 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Just did the 22a and 7 route on 2/14/22 but from the other direction. Colchester, VT to Albany NY. Towing a Grand Cherokee behind a 44 foot RV. We make this trip about 4 times a year.