Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2020, 12:56 PM   #1

Las Cruces to Flagstaff Best Route?

On my cancelled Huge trip I was going through Benson, AZ for my wife to visit her niece. Her niece has moved, so heading West from Las Cruces is not necessary. I am starting to replan this trip for next year.

Which way is the best to go and maybe see something worth seeing between Las Cruces and Flagstaff heading to the GC? RVTW shows I-10 to I-17, I-25 to I-40 and a combination of Hwy's. starting with Hwy 180.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

Alamogordo, White Sands, Pie City, Santa Fe, Petroglyph NM, Canyon de Chelly, Chaco NHP,

Antelope Canyon, North Rim GC. South Rim GC. No order but lots to do. Further afield Monument Valley.

How many months are you planning on?

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Alamogordo, White Sands, Pie City, Santa Fe, Petroglyph NM, Canyon de Chelly, Chaco NHP,

Antelope Canyon, North Rim GC. South Rim GC. No order but lots to do. Further afield Monument Valley.

How many months are you planning on?
It will be 3+ months. Most of my route and stops are mapped out from this year's cancellation. The only difference now is the route from Las Cruces to the GC.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
RV LIFE Support Team

Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, Walnut Canyon

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:40 PM   #5

southern i-10 route - karthner caverns, tombstone

northern i-40 route - meteor crater
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:18 PM   #6

I did Flagstaff to Las Cruces at the end of October, by way of US 180. Had planned to attend an owners group mini-rally in Gila National Forest, but left early to avoid incoming early season arctic blast. Overall I would rate it a good route. At the time there was a repaving project going on just south of Glenwood, NM (if going this route check out the catwalk at Glenwood, nice nature trail). Speed limit is fairly low 45-50 mph for around 50 miles or so as I recall after getting to the NM state line. A few miles of substandard pavement around Luna, NM.

A few points of note, and possible interest along the route.

Pavement a bit rough in AZ around Holbrook, good condition, just rough finish on the overlay, free overnight dry camping with picnic tables at the gift shop just outside the south gate of Petrified Forest NP (road in the park itself was awful, teeth jarringly bad pavement).

I also spent nights at Cosmic Campground (dark sky observing site) in the Gila National Forest just north of Glenwood, only 7-8 official RV back in sites, plus several unofficial boondock sites for smaller RV's, a couple of the sites might be big enough for a large class A. Also stayed at Springerville, RV park, which was getting a major upgrade when I was there, fresh gravel was being spread, new electric hookups, laundry room under construction, Passport America park, so was under $20 per night. ( I made it in fine with my 28 ft coach and no TOAD, not sure if I would try it in a 40 ft Diesel pusher with TOAD attached, it is about 1/2 mile off the highway, you would probably be ok, there is a camping loop at the end of the road, just not sure you would want to meet oncoming traffic). I was there the night before hunting season opened, so a lot of the people there were hunters.

p.s. be aware there are no RV friendly gas stations between Silver City, NM and HWY 180 on the NW side Springerville, AZ, maybe a couple you could shoe horn into, but I would suggest filling up before you get out of Silver City. Also I bought propane at High Country Propane where US 180 / 191 split on the SE side of Springerville, nice folks, fair price would buy again, though their propane hose is short so you must be very close the the barricade for it to reach.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:42 PM   #7

I'd recommend going to Benson as you planned. Lots to explore around there... Kartchner Caverns State Park for a tour and a nice campground, Tombstone, Bisbee (mine tour), Chiricahua Nat'l Mon. - excellent hiking from the top to the bottom - they used to have a shuttle to take you to the top, birding in the canyons around Sierra Vista.

Then explore Tucson - lots to do. Leaving - take 79 out of Tucson to Apache Junction area - Boyce Thompson Arboretum State Park (no camping), Lost Dutchman State Park or Usery Regional Park - both nice campgrounds to tour in your car, drive the Apache Trail - lovely small lakes and beautiful country (gravel) over to Roosevelt Lake/Tonto Nat'l Monument. Could do a circle over to Boyce Thompson Arboretum and back to Apache Jct.

Leaving Apache Jct. take 87 north to Payson and 260 west into Camp Verde at I-17. Dead Horse Ranch State Park at Cottonwood is a very nice base for touring Sedona and Jerome.

Then north on I-17 to I-40 at Flagstaff.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:34 PM   #8

twogypsies
Apache Trail is closed at Tortilla Flats
Old 05-19-2020, 11:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
twogypsies
Apache Trail is closed at Tortilla Flats
Why is that? Because it's a national forest and closed for the virus?
Old 05-20-2020, 07:41 AM   #10

not due to the virus. there was a fire in the area last year and then the rains came and there was a large rock slide and washout. no estimated tome to reopen.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
not due to the virus. there was a fire in the area last year and then the rains came and there was a large rock slide and washout. no estimated tome to reopen.
Well... bummer. It's a highlight of that area.

https://yourvalley.net/queen-creek-i...initely,145332

Tags
ags, route