Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #1

Las Vegas through the mountains help!!

I will be taking a trip in a couple weeks from Las Vegas to St Paul I have to pull a 20' camper back with me my main concern outside of weather is mountain driving, I already ruled out going through CO but I have some friends in Salt Lake and Casper WY I wanted to see but wasn't sure about the mountain grades in those areas if its as bad as going through CO? Looks at elevation maps it looks to be an easier drive not a ton of steep inclines and declines but I wasn't sure have not done a lot of mountain drive wasn't sure if the Utah/Wyoming drive was as bad as going through CO? If the weather is bad I will head south though AZ, NM and to Kansas as a backup plan. Anyone done that drive before or close to it in March?
thejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2017, 08:04 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stop by a Camping World or just go online and order a Mountain Directory West guide. It's very detailed on various routes you may be interested in taking. Good Luck.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #3

Feb/March from Minnesota - I would recommend heading direct south and skipping Wyoming/Utah. Even though the RV is a small 20', winter driving is very iffy due to the weather. Plan for visiting friends another time. It's not far from Las Vegas. We encountered a blizzard the end of April one year on I-40 just west of Albuquerque. The interstate was completely shut down. We spent the night on the highway with everyone else. Also, make sure the camper will be winterized before traveling.. and you won't find many campgrounds open during your drive.

As stated previously, get the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers' online or at a Camping World store.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Feb/March from Minnesota - I would recommend heading direct south and skipping Wyoming/Utah. Even though the RV is a small 20', winter driving is very iffy due to the weather. Plan for visiting friends another time. It's not far from Las Vegas. We encountered a blizzard the end of April one year on I-40 just west of Albuquerque. The interstate was completely shut down. We spent the night on the highway with everyone else. Also, make sure the camper will be winterized before traveling.. and you won't find many campgrounds open during your drive.

As stated previously, get the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers' online or at a Camping World store.
Ha you say to avoid going north because of weather but then tell me of a storm going south you went through???
thejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:54 AM   #5

If you stay on Interstate highways then mtn passes wont be an issue.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing to consider about driving through Wyoming is that the grades don't tell the whole story. The winds can be severe at any time of year; add in possibility of blowing snow and it could get dicey.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohnson View Post
Ha you say to avoid going north because of weather but then tell me of a storm going south you went through???
My point being... you were concerned about Wyoming/Utah. I stated that even on I-40 in Albuquerque the end of April we were in a blizzard. You can't count on the weather. Have a good trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:08 AM   #8

I would think that going across the mountains farther south and then going north should be safer at that time of year than going over the mountains farther north. The weather will determine the validity of that line of thought.

The best thing to do is check the weather at various points along either route during the time you will be there prior to leaving, and make the decision based on the results of that. I used to do that at individual places along our route on the computer, but I think there are programs now that will do it all at one push of the button. I'm thinking some of these have already been identified.

We have used I-80 a lot from OR to WV and back, sometimes during winter. It can range from clear sailing to wait a few days, all depending on the weather. I-40 can be nasty also, but not as likely. There have been times when we dropped down to 70 or 40 instead of using the more direct 80 after checking the weather. IMHO, that is the best thing to do.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas