Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2021, 06:39 PM   #1

Las Vegas to South Florida

I am planning my route at the end of December to head east from Las Vegas to Florida. I have been told to go I-10 because of possible weather issues. I also read on the forum that the road is bad through Texas and Louisiana. I am purposely routing around major cities like Houston, Phoenix, San Antonio etc. Which way do you experts recommend taking?
2017 Prevost Marathon #1250
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk w/AF1 and Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow System
Orinda, CA
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 07:08 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Sometimes going thru the cities is easier than trying to go around. We stayed on the west side of Phoenix from Dec 2020 to April 2021 and if you went thru after 10 am and before 3 pm the traffic was lighter then compared to 8 am.
We have not had any issues going thru Houston or San Antonio for the 3 times since 2019, I always try to time the traveling to off rush hour times.
As far as I-10 it is rough on the west side of Louisiana and into the east of Texas toward Houston.
We will be taking this trip again between Christmas and New Years Day this year. We plan on being in Phoenix again for Spring Training games for February & March
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
Sometimes going thru the cities is easier than trying to go around. We stayed on the west side of Phoenix from Dec 2020 to April 2021 and if you went thru after 10 am and before 3 pm the traffic was lighter then compared to 8 am.
We have not had any issues going thru Houston or San Antonio for the 3 times since 2019, I always try to time the traveling to off rush hour times.
As far as I-10 it is rough on the west side of Louisiana and into the east of Texas toward Houston.
We will be taking this trip again between Christmas and New Years Day this year. We plan on being in Phoenix again for Spring Training games for February & March
Good advice. Are there any viable options between Louisiana and east of Texas toward Houston as alternates?
Orinda, CA
Old 09-19-2021, 08:06 PM   #4

Some years ago, we were heading from Fla. to Sun City, Az.
We got off of I 10 and took US 190. It is the long way around, but it runs almost all the way to Fort Stockton.
The section that we were on was 4 lanes but it goes thru cities and towns.
I cant remember where we got back on I 10 (somewhere near Beaumont Tx.), but it bypassed a lot of the rough road on I 10 in La.
Good Luck.

Tim
Old 09-20-2021, 04:21 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I 10 in east Texas was absolutely HORRIBLE when we traveled it last March. If you can avoid it. Nasty holes, bumps, narrow construction zones.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:36 AM   #6

I too am interested in the reverse routing-from Florida to Las Vegas in January 2022. Am thinking if departure/arrival is flexible, the I-40 route ought to be an option? ...where's the potential weather areas on that route...thinking any snow should be cleared off interstate?
MnM49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:08 AM   #7

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM49 View Post
I too am interested in the reverse routing-from Florida to Las Vegas in January 2022. Am thinking if departure/arrival is flexible, the I-40 route ought to be an option? ...where's the potential weather areas on that route...thinking any snow should be cleared off interstate?

I-40 is long and it takes days to cross the country. The main weather areas are along the Mississippi River Valley (rain and winds), Amarillo, Central New Mexico and near Flagstaff (snow and ice). The problem is that the weather blows down from the north and moves across an area in a day's time. Hard to plan driving to avoid it.

We've taken I-20 across and found ice west of Dallas and snow on both sides of El Paso. I-20 was our fallback route when I-40 got snowed in.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:15 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We traveled from LA to Galveston last April, using I-10. Other than construction west of Houston, it wasn’t bad.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM49 View Post
We once traveled on I-40 from Flagstaff AZ to Albuquerque the end of MAY and a blizzard closed down the highway. We sat on the highway with our RV along with semi trucks. Granted, this was a freak storm but still.....

I would not travel it in winter, for sure!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:57 PM   #10

Yes, few viable options to I 10 (except Van Horn to San Antonio where U.S. 90 is our choice if not in a terrible hurry).

But, plan to hit major metros (Houston in particular) on Sunday AM (best) or at least 10 AM-3PM.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:32 PM   #11

MnM49, you can't escape the possibilities of bad weather, especially North (I 40).
In late December 2015, I 10 in western Texas was hit with a snowstorm that all but closed the interstate.
My advice would to be Stay South at that time of year.
We are going to make that trek from Fla. to Az. in early January.

Tim
Old 09-20-2021, 11:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I would not travel it in winter, for sure!
Traveled from Las Vegas to LA in winter many times and only seen snow on the side of the road. It is a matter of closely watching the weather.

A favorite way to bypass Houston is to take the free ferry from Galveston and spend a few days camping on the GOM at Crystal Beach.

Rain is a different matter. On time I did not have time to bypass Houston between major rain storms. Hit it at 11am and had no problem with traffic.

Coming out of Las Vegas, I worry more about wind.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Traveled from Las Vegas to LA in winter many times and only seen snow on the side of the road. It is a matter of closely watching the weather.
I was talking about I-40 from Flagstaff to Albuquerque; not southern desert.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:26 AM   #14

Route

Thank you for all the responses.

I planned an alternate route to the I 10 east from Las Vegas and then getting on I 20 south of El Paso west of Fort Stockton going around Dallas then south on 49 from Shreveport and pick up I 10 again near Lafayette, LA into Florida. Possibly one way to avoid the bad sections of I 10. Obviously weather is a big factor here and I am prepared to wait it out enroute if I have to.
Orinda, CA

Tags
florida, gas