Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2022, 08:21 AM   #1

Least mountainous roads through Wyoming & Montana

Hello,

Going out west, in early May, in a class A motor home (gas), towing a small car. Starting in the Detroit area, through Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana outbound, coming back via North & South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin & back to Michigan. Figuring on a month’s time, but flexible.

We’re a couple in our mid-60’s, husband does all the driving. My dilemma: driving through the high altitudes of Wyoming & Montana. Want to visit Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Glacier National Park, etc.

If you have taken a similar trip, which roads do you recommend to take, to stay at a lower altitude, even if we have to go a little out of our way?

Suggestions on the route and “must see” locations in the above states are appreciated. Thank you, in advance.

Rose
Rp1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2022, 09:17 AM   #2

Staying on the interstate highways will get you close to the attractions you've listed ( Mt. Rushmore not on your list ?) BUT , it's the west coast and your in the Rocky Mountains , there will be climbs and descents on every route .

Yellowstone NP , is almost completely above 6,500' and the road through the park past Old Faithful crosses the continental divide numerous times .

Thousands of RVers travel these routes every year , they're doable , take your time , if necessary find an RV park close to the attraction and take the toad on day trips.
Old 03-16-2022, 12:22 PM   #3

I think you're over-worrying. Millions of RVers drive the roads. You may go slower going uphill but you'll make it. Downhill - get into low gear before the downhill; not in the midst. You'll have a good trip!

BTW... going thru Iowa/Nebraska would be a good time for you to take the wheel for a while. You never know when you'd be needed.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 12:28 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Keep in mind that the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason. I suggest to stay on the interstates and state highways whenever possible. ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 02:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Keep in mind that the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.
The less traveled roads are the kinds we sought out. That's where you really see the countryside.
Old 03-16-2022, 04:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
The less traveled roads are the kinds we sought out. That's where you really see the countryside.

While this is very true. For me I have a healthy caution when it comes to two lane roads. There is very little you can do if an oncoming vehicle crosses over. But that’s just my thing.
Old 03-16-2022, 06:29 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Very true for what I would like to do more of as well.

In the recent past I was more limited on time (days off from work) so I would try to take the best roads in order to get to where I was going more quickly, then I would take my 4wd Colorado past where the pavement ends during my stay (usually in Colorado), very scenic areas for sure. For me, the journey is an enjoyable part of the experience and now that I am retired I think I will take your lead whenever possible. ~CA

Perhaps the words I would use, I will try to take the "scenic" route whenever possible.
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tskadberg View Post
While this is very true. For me I have a healthy caution when it comes to two lane roads. There is very little you can do if an oncoming vehicle crosses over. But that’s just my thing.
... and interstates don't have wrong way drivers or 20 vehicle pileups?
Old 03-16-2022, 10:45 PM   #9

We have used this website to find the best route through and around mountains.

https://www.flattestroute.com/

You need to work it a few times, but its very informative. Can help you make good decisions about your travels.
Old 03-17-2022, 05:49 PM   #10

You wont have any trouble. I made a similar trip in 2004. Drove to Missoula , then North to GNP. We camped outside the park in a nice camp ground. You can drive your toad inside the park with no problem. We took from Indiana I74 to I 29 then North to I 80. Just check you map. Great trip.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 10:11 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Everyone wants to visit the western states. So many try to avoid mountains. I don't think you can do one without the other.

Is that mutually inclusive or mutually exclusive?
Old 03-18-2022, 10:52 AM   #12

Out of Cody WY stay off of 14A unless sighted seeing. There is a Indian Medicine Wheel, it’s said to be over a 1,000 years old. There is a campground close by, Bald Mountain Campground. If you have some time go by there. Also a pretty drive is the Beartooth Highway
spock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 04:48 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock12 View Post
Out of Cody WY stay off of 14A unless sighted seeing. There is a Indian Medicine Wheel, it’s said to be over a 1,000 years old. There is a campground close by, Bald Mountain Campground. If you have some time go by there. Also a pretty drive is the Beartooth Highway
I think what spock12 is saying is to avoid US14a and the Bearthooth Highway (US212) in your RV. They are beautiful drives in a car!
Old 03-18-2022, 04:54 PM   #14

Get a copy of Mountain Directory for the West and pick the route that your comfortable with. Available on line at: https://mountaindirectory.com/

Tags
montana