Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2019, 05:54 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Leaving Cody Wy going to Kanab Utah

Looking for best route. My RM GPS is routing us down 120 to 789 then 28 to 80. We are traveling in 26’ class c towing toad. Objective is to avoid as many steep grades as possible. Took Rt 16 from Buffalo Wyoming catching a nice snow storm on the way. We are staying in Cody using the car for day trip site seeing. If you have must see places please mention them.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #2

Your planned route is good with an RV. On 28 you'll have South Pass at elevation 7550' - midway between Lander and Farson - uphill - not bad. Watch the weather. Eastbound descent is worse than the westbound. You'll be going westbound. Have a good one!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:50 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
You don't say how your GPS is routing you once off 80 but most likely you will be routed on US-189 over to I-15 S near Orem. From there Google Maps is showing south on I-15 S and then east on UT-20 to get you over to US-89 north of Panguitch. If that is how your RM GPS is routing you I'd not recommend UT-20 if you are wanting to avoid steep grades. There are 7% grades and a 7900 foot summit. SR-9 and SR-14 which are further south have steep grades and switchbacks as well.

We make the trip from the PNW to Kanab 2 or 3 times a season. Our combo is a F-250 and ~28 foot trailer. I would recommend the following to avoid places like UT-20 once you are on I-15 S. Take exit 188 to US-50 E from I-15 S toward Scipio. Follow US-50 E to Salina, then catch I-70 W south of Salina. Finally, take exit 23 for US-89 to Panguitch/Kanab. Once on US-89 it will take you right into Kanab. This is our favorite stretch of highway on this trip.

As for sights in the Kanab area, there a quite a few including Zion and Bryce Canyon. If you are pet lovers I would recommend taking half a day and touring the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary which is 5 miles north of Kanab right off US-89 (you can't miss their bright orange sign south of Moqui Cave). They have ample RV parking by their Welcome Center which is just a mile or two off US-89.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
Looking for best route.

MAP - https://binged.it/32VyBEd - Look over to see if this might work - You are in an RV - Driving in some of the most Beautiful Country in the World - Might as well stop and look at some of it. -

My RM GPS is routing us down 120 to 789 then 28 to 80.

Works but is an "A" to "B" route in MHO. -

We are traveling in 26’ class c towing toad.

Easy to drive no problems with any route. -

Objective is to avoid as many steep grades as possible.

Steep IMHO is in the Rockies - so I don't see or remember any issues when we last drove these roads. -

Took Rt 16 from Buffalo Wyoming catching a nice snow storm on the way.

Aren't the Rockies Beautiful with a Light coating of white - The COntrast is just Beautiful - you lucky man. -

We are staying in Cody using the car for day trip site seeing.

Lots to see and do in the area - IMHO a Great time to be there. -

If you have must see places please mention them.

If you look at the MAP I posted first you have Thermopolis with their Hot Springs - Then the Wind River Canyon, Beautiful Drive - River Runs North while the Road runs South and down hill, I've always felt like, it appears, the river runs Up Hill - - Then to a Beautiful Reservoir in Shoshoni - from there to Flaming Gorge to Camp on the Lake - on to Dino to Camp on the River - Beautiful - now to the Colorado Monument, just a place often Missed - to Moab and all it has to offer - then on to Monument Valley - special place and you don't want to miss Mexican Hat or Goosenecks while in the area - now to Page and possibly Antelope Canyon or others - Maybe catch Horseshoe and compare to Antelope on the River as you head to Kanab with the possibility of catching North Rim before (Or After ) it closes. then on over to Kanab.

Easy and might just be a lot more memorable than the proposed drive. We have always tried to make the Drive as GOOD as the Destination.
Hope this is the sort of thing you were looking for, Enjoy the Drive,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:07 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Thanks for the information! Heading that way tomorrow.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote