Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2018, 04:03 PM   #1

Loveland CO to Estes Park route

Hwy 34 to Estes Park from Loveland? I am driving a 35’ Class A and pulling a Saturn Vue. Are any of the turns to tight for that combination?
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2018, 04:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
Hwy 34 to Estes Park from Loveland? I am driving a 35’ Class A and pulling a Saturn Vue. Are any of the turns to tight for that combination?
Piece of cake regardless of your size.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #3

Awesome thanks for the reply. I worked up Big Thompson Canyon running equipment after the big flood that killed 144 people I think was the final # in the early 70s. I remembered It as being pretty tight then but it had a lot of damage.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #4

I have done it many times in our 38 foot towing a Chevy Equinox. Watch the traffic coming toward you. They tend to drive fast and cross the center line.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:08 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not a problem. They just finished up a multi-year repair of the road to fix damage from the 2013 floods. The road follows the river so you will have a lot of curves.

You might also consider taking 36 into Estes Park. You take state Highway 66 from the I-25 to Lyons and 36 from Lyons to Estes. Not as curvey as 34, but also not quite as scenic. The highway 66 portion is dead straight for about 15 miles. We take this route when going to/from Estes as its a less traveled and easier drive.

If you are coming thru Estes Park, avoid trying to take Moraine/Elkhorn through town. Either go into the Fall River entrance to Rocky, or if you are going in at Beaver Meadows, take the Hiway 7/Mary's Lake Road bypass around town. If you are staying at any of the commercial parks in town (other than KOA) also take the Hiway 7/ Mary's Lake bypass.
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:53 PM   #6

34 or 36 one up one back as both are beautiful drives.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:29 PM   #7

We came in that route last time we were there two years ago, stayed in Elk Meadow park pulling a 38 ft fifth wheel. Only bad part was a left hand turn right in the middle of town where traffic and pedestrians had me a little concerned about hitting someone with tail swing as they cross against the lights and folks were right up against the curbs etc. If you go around town as recommended it isn't an issue.

Also, we left through the park via 36 to grand lake. The road wasn't bad, but on the downhill slope we got stuck behind a car going slow enough my truck would downshift to first and kick out the engine brake. If he hit 10 mph he was being daring and it was a long run before I could pull out and wait to let him get ahead of us a bit. Even then we caught up with him again before Grand Lake and he never did get above 15mph. Luckily we were able to pass him lower down.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:37 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Looking forward to the trip in to Estes Park!