Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #1

Maine to New Jersey Trip

We are headed to the Lobsterfest in Maine in July... We are taking two weeks to return home and since this is our first trip in this territory I am looking for some suggestions for campgrounds. We are stopping in Boston/Cape Cod area (looking at Normady Farm) then to New York and I liked the fact that the KOA close there does bus trips to New York City and the last stop will be New Jersey area. This is where I am really trying to find a nice campground. Has anyone been to Cape May area or what about the Jersey Shore area.... Help I use RV Review but I always like first hand knowledge. We are travelling in a 35' Monaco Motorhome.
twolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Normandy Farms is a great campground. I'd suggest reservations there as they were one of the few campgrounds that bookup completely a lot.

New Jersey has been tough for us to find a campground near our relatives in Dover. The last time we camped in the street in front of their house. Had to get permission from the police department.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a campground in NJ that Bug512 (Gene) always recommends:
Morris County Park Commission Mahlon Dickerson Reservation
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
DO NOT, Underestimate the volume of traffic in and around the Jersey Shore areas. That's all I'm saying......
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Their are several campgrounds in the Cape May area that are real nice. Beachcomber, Avalon, Sea Shore, Holly Shore, many more, go to google NJ campgrounds to see others. Reservations must be made in the cape may area, site can range in the $50.00 -$60.00 range. Less expensive are Holly Acres, Blueberry Hill in the Atlantic City area.
Hope this helps
Gus F
Thor Challenger 37DT
Saturn Vue Toad
Harley Ultra Classic
GJHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #6

Thanks for all the feedback...
twolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #7

We stayed at Holly Shores last September and they had a 5 night mid-week special. So it worked out to about $33, but that was in Sept. We found the RV parks in the area really vary, some places just jammed them in together. So check the reviews carefully. The sites within Holly Shores also varied greatly, but it did make a pretty good base for seeing the area.

Bob

RV Park Reviews :: Cape May, New Jersey ( NJ ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews
Old 05-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #8
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Head to south Jersey Atlantic or Cape May County. There is nothing decent for camping near the other northern beaches. NJ is very conjested and not really good for RV's especially larger ones when you get to the northern metropolitan areas. If you use the Garden State Parkway stay in the middle lanes in the Essex Union & Middlesex County area some of the overpasses are arched and have a low clearance in the left and right lanes and shoulders.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #9

Sent an email to NJ Turnpike Authority and they responded that vehicles wider than 8 feet were not allowed on the Garden State Parkway..... My class A is 8'6" which I assume is not unusual. Anyone taken their class A on the GSP that knows their rig width???
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Class A coaches use the Parkway all the time, ours is 101.5 inches wide as is all the other class A's, no problems. Thousands of tour buses travel the full length of the Parkway weekly going to Atlantic City and Jersey shore points. Check my previous post ref the Parkway clearances
Old 07-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1
Class A coaches use the Parkway all the time, ours is 101.5 inches wide as is all the other class A's, no problems. Thousands of tour buses travel the full length of the Parkway weekly going to Atlantic City and Jersey shore points. Check my previous post ref the Parkway clearances
I don't think your or any other class A is wider than 102 inches. 102 / 12 = 8.5 feet.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I doubt your box is larger than 8'. If your mirrors are set outside that envelope, that's another story....
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinkorSwim View Post
Sent an email to NJ Turnpike Authority and they responded that vehicles wider than 8 feet were not allowed on the Garden State Parkway..... My class A is 8'6" which I assume is not unusual. Anyone taken their class A on the GSP that knows their rig width???
Considering the crap that goes on up and down the GSP all day every day, I don't think you have a worry in the world. Just watch the Chinese tour buses running down to AC with 85 non-English speaking grannies clutching their rolls of nickels.. They tend to run off the road at 2 AM with alarming frequency.

There are several decent parks once you hit Cape May county, but as noted, the traffic can be horrible during the summer season - not just on weekends but pretty much all day every day. We used Big Timber Lake CG, off Route 47 near Avalon/Wildwood last year and it was decent. Apart from Walmart parking lots and other non-standard spots, there's really not much down there - most of the non-private land is NJ Pinelands/Pine Barrens protected marshland stuff, and there are few facilities for RV'ers, compared to some other places I've been. The GSP and Route 9 are really the only main roads, both can be crowded. If you look at a map, virtually everything EAST of the GSP down there is swamp....er, excuse me, 'protected wetlands'...

Not sure how far south you're going, but the Cape May-Lewes Ferry is kinda neat if you've never done it, and there are actually quite a few RV spots in southern Delaware, Cape Henlopen, Indian River Inlet, Rehobeth, etc. Just a thought.