Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2021, 04:48 PM   #1

Maine trip

This may be crazy but we plan to hit Michigan next summer for a whirlwind and then drop down to Ann Arbor to do the Henry Ford Museum, then down to Flushing Ohio to check out the Underground Railroad, then up to check out Niagara Falls before heading towards the Banger and Trenton Maine area. Of course want to do the touristy stuff and see Arcadia before working our way out the bottom of Maine and heading to Florida.
Is that all to crazy and ambitious? If not any suggestions for routes and big rig parks? We will be traveling with 1 other couple, they are in a 40' Class A and we are in a 43' 5th wheel (13'5" tall).
This is a 2022 trip but want to start reserving soon and we would hope to be at the bottom of Michigan doing the Henry Ford Museum the end of May to avoid the kids being out of school.
I can take it if you just say I'm a crazy fool LOL!!! That's just about the last area of the country we have not seen, Maine, Vermont and that area anyway.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2021, 05:07 PM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

You don't mention how many months your trip is.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:09 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I grew up in Williamsport Pennsylvania. Back in the 50's my dad took me to a house that he said was used by the people on the Underground Railroad who were headed north.

just did some research on it and sure enough Williamsport was a big supporter of the Underground Railroad.

Have you been to many of the Underground Railroad sites in your travels?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
You don't mention how many months your trip is.
Well we hope to be at the Underground Railroad portion the very end of June and the couple we are traveling with would like to be in NC mid August. But if them being there seems to hamper our experience we have agreed we could split up when need be.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I grew up in Williamsport Pennsylvania. Back in the 50's my dad took me to a house that he said was used by the people on the Underground Railroad who were headed north.

just did some research on it and sure enough Williamsport was a big supporter of the Underground Railroad.

Have you been to many of the Underground Railroad sites in your travels?
We really have not seen any of it. In Charleston we saw a church where they hung a flag. Diane has always been hugely interested in it however.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:38 AM   #6

While in Bangor you might be interested checking this out...

https://www.slaverymonuments.org/items/show/1222
GaryInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryInMaine View Post
While in Bangor you might be interested checking this out...

https://www.slaverymonuments.org/items/show/1222
Thanks for that.
Old 07-14-2021, 03:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
then up to check out Niagara Falls before heading towards the Banger and Trenton Maine area. Of course want to do the touristy stuff and see Arcadia before working our way out the bottom of Maine and heading to Florida.
Is that all to crazy and ambitious? If not any suggestions for routes and big rig parks? We will be traveling with 1 other couple, they are in a 40' Class A and we are in a 43' 5th wheel (13'5" tall).
Crazy or ambitious depends on how long you have for this trip.

Plan ahead and get an EZ-Pass for the coach/tow car. If you are planning to take I90 across NYS, that may be the best state to get the transponder/account since you have time to apply for the Thruway MHM/towing discount plan. It requires you to fax your current registration for the motorhome. Without the discount plan it'll cost you over $90 to cross NYS on the Thruway (now billed by mail). With an EZ-Pass and the Thruway discount plan, that drops to passenger car per-axle rate. You'll want to do this a few months ahead of your trip since they don't always get it right the first time.

As you get further northeast, you'll want to research low clearances carefully. There are quite a few in New England, particularly in Maine.

Note that you're not permitted on any road labeled "parkway" in NY and they're not designed for anything larger than a passenger car or light pickup (low clearance, no shoulder, no median - just low guardrail). Same goes for the Merritt Parkway in CT.

If you like to golf, in the western NY area near Holley is Hickory Ridge Golf and RV. It's a golf course with a pretty decent RV park. It is big rig friendly to some degree, but watch the routing in the area (there are a couple low clearance RR bridges you won't fit under).

Further east, Turning Stone is one of the few big rig friendly parks. The sites are at a bit of a weird angle, though, so getting into some of them is tough. East of there, Arrowhead Marina might work.

There is nothing in western CT or western Mass. that you'll fit in. Not much east of the Hudson, either, except maybe Brook n' Wood, but they have very limited 50 amp and routing to get there can be tough (and it's quite a ways off the beaten path). Do NOT attempt Interlake RV in Rhinebeck. The park roads are too narrow and winding for big rigs.

If you're planning on touring Ben & Jerry's, Lake Champagne in Randolph Center, VT is probably the closest park that can handle your rigs, but it's quite a distance, has very limited 50 amp and extra fees for running A/C. All sites are grass. It's where we base for Vermont. Easy interstate access, but not much in the town. Otherwise Quechee KOA is a really good option in a great area (but books up fast)).

Saco KOA in southern Maine or Bailey's in Scarborough work for southern Maine. You'll want the adult-only section at Bailey's. It''s a lot quieter.

Close to Bangor, you can either do Pumpkin Patch or Palmyra Golf and RV. We prefer the latter because it's a very laid back golf course and park that are family run. It's 1/2 hour from Bangor, though. Pumpkin Patch is a lot closer and has a few more amenities.

Near Acadia, you'll probably need to be somewhere in the Narrows Two/KOA area for big rigs.

Keep those NY road restrictions in mind when you head south from Maine.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:26 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Dave, the Gilmore Auto Museum in Hickory Corners, MI is a must see. Check out their website.

Followed you an Diane for years happy trails.
BodieJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:32 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you are set on what that route there are a few changes I would make. Get off i80 at Cleveland stop paying tolls. Take i271 north to i90 just after Erie PA, while still in pa take i86. I would plan on spending a night at walking glen state park. I would plan on walking the glen in the park. About one mile of incretable water falls. I would plan on taking the bus up frim the lower parking lot and walking down. Follow i86 to i88 north. Somewhere noth of i90 I woul head east to VT.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodieJames View Post
Dave, the Gilmore Auto Museum in Hickory Corners, MI is a must see. Check out their website.

Followed you an Diane for years happy trails.
Thanks for that, I have jotted that down. And thanks for letting us know you followed us on the blog!!! Thanks cool!!
Old 07-15-2021, 05:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
If you are set on what that route there are a few changes I would make. Get off i80 at Cleveland stop paying tolls. Take i271 north to i90 just after Erie PA, while still in pa take i86. I would plan on spending a night at walking glen state park. I would plan on walking the glen in the park. About one mile of incretable water falls. I would plan on taking the bus up frim the lower parking lot and walking down. Follow i86 to i88 north. Somewhere noth of i90 I woul head east to VT.
Thanks for those comments. We are still in the planning stages so not "set" on anything 100% yet. We want to see and do as much as we can but we also want to do it at a enjoyable pace and I DON'T want to be a victim to any horror stories while traveling the roads in that part of the country like we have heard about LOL!! I would rather stage and drive farther to see things than deal with bad situations with the RV road wise and campground wise.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
Crazy or ambitious depends on how long you have for this trip.

Plan ahead and get an EZ-Pass for the coach/tow car. If you are planning to take I90 across NYS, that may be the best state to get the transponder/account since you have time to apply for the Thruway MHM/towing discount plan. It requires you to fax your current registration for the motorhome. Without the discount plan it'll cost you over $90 to cross NYS on the Thruway (now billed by mail). With an EZ-Pass and the Thruway discount plan, that drops to passenger car per-axle rate. You'll want to do this a few months ahead of your trip since they don't always get it right the first time.

As you get further northeast, you'll want to research low clearances carefully. There are quite a few in New England, particularly in Maine.

Note that you're not permitted on any road labeled "parkway" in NY and they're not designed for anything larger than a passenger car or light pickup (low clearance, no shoulder, no median - just low guardrail). Same goes for the Merritt Parkway in CT.

If you like to golf, in the western NY area near Holley is Hickory Ridge Golf and RV. It's a golf course with a pretty decent RV park. It is big rig friendly to some degree, but watch the routing in the area (there are a couple low clearance RR bridges you won't fit under).

Further east, Turning Stone is one of the few big rig friendly parks. The sites are at a bit of a weird angle, though, so getting into some of them is tough. East of there, Arrowhead Marina might work.

There is nothing in western CT or western Mass. that you'll fit in. Not much east of the Hudson, either, except maybe Brook n' Wood, but they have very limited 50 amp and routing to get there can be tough (and it's quite a ways off the beaten path). Do NOT attempt Interlake RV in Rhinebeck. The park roads are too narrow and winding for big rigs.

If you're planning on touring Ben & Jerry's, Lake Champagne in Randolph Center, VT is probably the closest park that can handle your rigs, but it's quite a distance, has very limited 50 amp and extra fees for running A/C. All sites are grass. It's where we base for Vermont. Easy interstate access, but not much in the town. Otherwise Quechee KOA is a really good option in a great area (but books up fast)).

Saco KOA in southern Maine or Bailey's in Scarborough work for southern Maine. You'll want the adult-only section at Bailey's. It''s a lot quieter.

Close to Bangor, you can either do Pumpkin Patch or Palmyra Golf and RV. We prefer the latter because it's a very laid back golf course and park that are family run. It's 1/2 hour from Bangor, though. Pumpkin Patch is a lot closer and has a few more amenities.

Near Acadia, you'll probably need to be somewhere in the Narrows Two/KOA area for big rigs.

Keep those NY road restrictions in mind when you head south from Maine.
Wow, great. Thank you very much for that thought out reply. I will certainly be referring back to this numerous times.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
Wow, great. Thank you very much for that thought out reply. I will certainly be referring back to this numerous times.
Glad to help! We have been RVing from TX and TN to Maine for 21 years, mostly in a 40' Foretravel pulling a car. We lived in upstate NY for 30 years prior to that and the family owned a seasonal camp in Maine for over 50.

Feel free to PM if you have any specific routing/RV park/etc. questions.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote