RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2020, 11:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
At least "Death Hill", the KY section of I-75 leading down to the bridge, was upgraded. Many deaths on this stretch likely resulted in priority over replacing the bridge. That said, we may start using the I 275 bypass instead of the bridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_75_in_Kentucky
Like I was saying above, I've only been on this highway once (NB, in August) and that was in my Ford Explorer. That was enough to convince me I wanted NOTHING to do with trying to navigate my RV through there! The bypass in either direction is easily worth the few extra minutes that it MAY cost you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 01:40 PM   #16

Hi TimmyB. Kind of a slow afternoon here, so I checked Google maps since we go through Cincinnati a few times per year. The I-275 Eastern bypass is 14 miles longer than taking I-75 straight through, but driving time is only 3 minutes longer (50 vs. 47 minutes), and it seems like there is always construction when driving through town. The only downside of using the bypass is some pretty long hills soon after starting from the southern end but I am now a believer for using I-275.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Like I was saying above, I've only been on this highway once (NB, in August) and that was in my Ford Explorer. That was enough to convince me I wanted NOTHING to do with trying to navigate my RV through there! The bypass in either direction is easily worth the few extra minutes that it MAY cost you.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Hi TimmyB. Kind of a slow afternoon here, so I checked Google maps since we go through Cincinnati a few times per year. The I-275 Eastern bypass is 14 miles longer than taking I-75 straight through, but driving time is only 3 minutes longer (50 vs. 47 minutes), and it seems like there is always construction when driving through town. The only downside of using the bypass is some pretty long hills soon after starting from the southern end but I am now a believer for using I-275.
We take it both ways, East and West. East if we're going to the REV center for repairs, West if we're headed to Michigan via Indy. Never had a single issue and it's like you're not even near a big city for much of it. This is the third downtown that I avoid at all costs, Louisville and Nashville being the other two.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #18

The bypass east isn't really that bad. I've gotten used to taking that. Problem is since the bridge is closed everyone will be going that way. Not looking forward to next Wednesday's drive.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Something to ponder. With the cost to repair the bridge estimated at 3+ million dollars, I wonder if those at fault for the damage have adequate insurance?
My thoughts also. So who is at fault? The jackknifed semi or the one that hit him?
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
The bypass east isn't really that bad. I've gotten used to taking that. Problem is since the bridge is closed everyone will be going that way. Not looking forward to next Wednesday's drive.
Yep. We have to travel the weekend of Dec 11 and we were hoping 75 would be open by then for just that reason. Good news is, it's a weekend!
Old 11-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
My thoughts also. So who is at fault? The jackknifed semi or the one that hit him?
I guess it depends on why the first truck jackknifed. Mechanical? Fall Asleep? someone in front of him/her do something crazy? Debris fall from above or maybe fell from a vehicle in front of him/her? The truck that hit him, following too close? sleepy?

If the government can ascertain who caused damage to their facility, they can and will bill the at fault driver.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:13 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
This is the third downtown that I avoid at all costs, Louisville and Nashville being the other two.
IMHO, Louisville is easy on I-65, now that they (IN & KY DOT) have totally rebuilt the downtown spaghetti bowl to accommodate the new Ohio River bridge for the NB side of 65. The old Kennedy bridge is all 65 SB, now. If you don't like downtown, there is a new bridge on I-275 around the east side of Louisville connecting to I-65. (All I-65 bridges and the I-275 bridge are toll, via license plate cameras.

I would definitely agree with you about Nashville, having lived here 22 years. Although east-west, there is the I-40/I-840/I-40 bypass around the south side. Eastbound I-40 to NB I-65 or I-24, would recommend using Briley parkway on the northwest side.

North-south on I-65 or or east-west on I-24, my best recommendation is to come thru town before 6:00 AM or after 8:00 PM. Living 20 mi. southeast of downtown, it's seems better to avoid coming thru during the afternoon/evening commute time.
Mr.Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:07 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We cross that bridge a few times a year. Always hate traveling with the trailer. But crossing in the MH. My knuckles were getting white. Last time across I said it would be 275.

Now I think it's going to be Mayville,my we will be crosding.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
We cross that bridge a few times a year. Always hate traveling with the trailer. But crossing in the MH. My knuckles were getting white. Last time across I said it would be 275.

Now I think it's going to be Mayville,my we will be crosding.
Maysville, Ky?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post
IMHO, Louisville is easy on I-65, now that they (IN & KY DOT) have totally rebuilt the downtown spaghetti bowl to accommodate the new Ohio River bridge for the NB side of 65. The old Kennedy bridge is all 65 SB, now. If you don't like downtown, there is a new bridge on I-275 around the east side of Louisville connecting to I-65. (All I-65 bridges and the I-275 bridge are toll, via license plate cameras.

I would definitely agree with you about Nashville, having lived here 22 years. Although east-west, there is the I-40/I-840/I-40 bypass around the south side. Eastbound I-40 to NB I-65 or I-24, would recommend using Briley parkway on the northwest side.

North-south on I-65 or or east-west on I-24, my best recommendation is to come thru town before 6:00 AM or after 8:00 PM. Living 20 mi. southeast of downtown, it's seems better to avoid coming thru during the afternoon/evening commute time.
I despise Louisville because the lanes seem narrower and the curves are non-stop. Driving a car through there requires every ounce of concentration and looking at other cars, it's obvious most of the drivers are not giving it every ounce! The nice thing is, traveling between MI and FL, we have discovered taking 74 from Indy over to 275 to 75 around Cincy and then down to Knoxville as opposed to Louisville and Nashville is MUCH less stressful. The mountains are not as severe, the traffic is not as bad, and you avoid DT in both those cities, plus DT Chattanooga.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #26

Looks like Google wants us to get off on some side street and then cross over the river. I don't I'm going to do that. I'm sure that is going to be a mess during rush hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cincy.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	308688  
Old 11-20-2020, 12:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
Looks like Google wants us to get off on some side street and then cross over the river. I don't I'm going to do that. I'm sure that is going to be a mess during rush hour.
OK, just for fun, I got my Garmin RV780 out, made sure all software and maps were up to date, made sure it was connected to my Drive app on my phone (which gives it traffic updates, etc.), and it still wants me to go over the Spence Bridge!!! What the heck?

I thought these were supposed to be able to reroute you if a road was closed like this but if it requires a map update to do so, that is really poor! It should definitely be able to know that a road is completely closed.

Not encouraging, to say the least. Fortunately, we all know about this in time to reroute ourselves around it, but heaven help those that don't!
Old 11-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #28

Quote:
OK, just for fun, I got my Garmin RV780 out, made sure all software and maps were up to date, made sure it was connected to my Drive app on my phone (which gives it traffic updates, etc.), and it still wants me to go over the Spence Bridge!!! What the heck?

I thought these were supposed to be able to reroute you if a road was closed like this but if it requires a map update to do so, that is really poor! It should definitely be able to know that a road is completely closed.

Not encouraging, to say the least. Fortunately, we all know about this in time to reroute ourselves around it, but heaven help those that don't!
I'm curious to see what mine will say when I get there. It usually wants to take me around in 275. I try to check Waze just to see how bad the traffic shows before I decide which way to go.

Tags
fire