RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2020, 10:07 PM   #43

I live in Cincinnati area. The early morning of the wreck was heavy rain. Although no official word has come out for cause. Yes the current estimate is Dec 23 for reopening. The bridge is one of if not the most busy traffic vs designed capacity in the US. It has needed replacement for 40 years.

The alternative bridge just west of the Brent Spence is called the Clay Wade Bailey bridge. Because it feeds off city streets, I recommend just taking I-275 loop around. It's much easier and less hassle than even taking I-471 bridge. I-71 and I-75 north of downtown Cincinnati are not very straight and many short ramps and exits. Just avoid all that with I-275 loop. Either way west or east works, just depends on your route and destination.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2020, 11:46 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTerry View Post
Here is a link from a local station WCPO.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news...nesday-morning

Did WKRP report on this - just wonderin' after the turkey mishap.
Carrbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:48 PM   #45
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbigdog View Post
Did WKRP report on this - just wonderin' after the turkey mishap.
I watch that episode every Thanksgiving!

I used to work as an AM radio station engineer in the 70's and that show brings back a lot of memories. I still have never found the recording for the ad for Weasel Whizz Beer, though. "Tastes just like it did when the weasel put it there."

Ray
Old 12-11-2020, 09:34 PM   #46
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
The latest news is KYDOT expects to reopen the bridge in about 2wks (weather depending). Of course, it really needs to be expanded. Despite the 275 bypass, it gets a LOT of traffic & a rebuild is in its future.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 01:39 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I watch that episode every Thanksgiving!

I used to work as an AM radio station engineer in the 70's and that show brings back a lot of memories. I still have never found the recording for the ad for Weasel Whizz Beer, though. "Tastes just like it did when the weasel put it there."

Ray
If you remember The Fire Sign Theater ('radio' play comedy) you might recall the beer brand parody "Bear Whiz Beer".
Old 12-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
The latest news is KYDOT expects to reopen the bridge in about 2wks (weather depending). Of course, it really needs to be expanded. Despite the 275 bypass, it gets a LOT of traffic & a rebuild is in its future.

Lori-
Well, we just came through there and thankfully it was a Sunday afternoon, so it was only moderately crazy. Heading northbound on 75, they closed the two left lanes about two miles before the 275 split. We are assuming they did this to force people into getting in the correct lane earlier rather than later. This worked, except there were two accidents just while we were approaching, one that they had just cleared and another that the authorities hadn't even arrived at yet. Then, both Google Maps and Garmin were telling us to take 471 back to 75. That might make sense but the traffic to get on to 471 was at least a mile long and pretty much dead stopped. We just stayed on 275 and never had to slow down once.

Overall, not a huge deal but annoying driving in stop and go for ten minutes because people can't slow down for a couple miles.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:07 PM   #49
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the status report. Sounds like it's going to be a mess getting through there for quite a long time.

Lori-
Old 12-13-2020, 09:09 PM   #50

Oh, and I forgot to mention this. Earlier, I had posted that when planning the trip (a few weeks ago) on my Garmin RV 780, it still wanted me to take the Spence Bridge. This morning, it still did, but we knew that we were going to take 275 around. Well, as we were driving (and, maybe an hour or two short of Cincy), the Garmin beeped and said there was a change in routing and we now needed to go onto 275!

The good news is, it worked as it should have; the bad news is, it waited until we had already started our trip before working. That is not good.

It also tried to route us back on to 471 to go downtown and reconnect with 75, rather than stay on 275. As I check Google Maps on my computer right now, that way is 9 miles shorter and six minutes faster. The problem is, EVERY SINGLE VEHICLE that is using some type of mapping software is being told to do so. The line to exit on to 471 was a mile long with two lanes completely stopped and there is only ONE lane that exits there. This would have easily been fifteen minutes of stop and go just to get ON to 471. By all means, STAY ON 275 if you can.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:18 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Spence Bridge is expected to reopen later today (ahead of schedule) with nearby closed entrances and exits reopening gradually over the following few hours/days. Construction crews are now driving back and forth over the bridge making final adjustments.
gvjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 05:17 PM   #52
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the update. Wow! That was fast work. Although, we did have unusually good weather for it being winter around here. Probably got a lot done then.

Lori-

Tags
fire