Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2018, 04:53 PM   #1

Manila UT (Flaming Gorge) to Moab

Hi everyone,

We are getting ready to leave Lucerne Campground north of Manila and would like to go to Moab.

I thought 44 going south from Manila to the Dam was scary a bit in the toad and people have said they really hate 191 south too in their RVs.

Is there anyway to get from Vernal to Moab without all the scary stuff?

thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2018, 06:07 PM   #2

191 to Vernal & then continue to I-70 east to 191 to Moab. 191 to Vernal is the way to go.

Southbound to Vernal you'll have 5-8% grades with 10 switchbacks for 9 miles with 20-30 mph signs.

191 between Helper & Duchesne, UT: 8% grade for 1.5 miles.

We've done this drive multiple times with our 40' MH but then, we enjoy mountain driving.

Downshift before you even begin the ride; not in the midst of it and you won't have to use your brakes often. When you do, tap them rather than a constant pressing. It will be over before you know it!! Stop at Vernal at Dinosaur Nat'l Monument to gain composure. It has a nice campground.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
191 to Vernal & then continue to I-70 east to 191 to Moab. 191 to Vernal is the way to go.

Southbound to Vernal you'll have 5-8% grades with 10 switchbacks for 9 miles with 20-30 mph signs.

191 between Helper & Duchesne, UT: 8% grade for 1.5 miles.

We've done this drive multiple times with our 40' MH but then, we enjoy mountain driving.

Downshift before you even begin the ride; not in the midst of it and you won't have to use your brakes often. When you do, tap them rather than a constant pressing. It will be over before you know it!! Stop at Vernal at Dinosaur Nat'l Monument to gain composure. It has a nice campground.
- -

The drive is easily Doable - If/When you think it is an Issue Just take it slow - This is why you are in the Southwest - to See the Beauty and the Mountains.

As you head down to Moab on 191 just keep an Eye in the rear view mirror - some of the Trucks are really Moving and will pass you as if you were standing still - or so it will seem -

Also, will second the thought to stop in Dino NM - right along the Green River - beautiful couple of CG's right on the River - Think you will really enjoy it - It should be pretty Quiet now, just before the Elk Hunting season Starts.

When you Hit Moab be sure to drive RT 128 along the Colorado - Lots to see and do in the area - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29448394.cfm

One last thought - if you have never seen the Aspen Turn Gold in Colorado you might just want to spend a week in Colorado Now - Maroon Bells just outside Aspen or Ouray/Telluride both are great - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg

Jealous of you'all - as IMHO this is the BEST Time to be on the Road in the Southwest.

Hope this helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #4

Thank you Bus and Two,

I am a nervous passenger and don't like roads with no shoulders. Does 191 have any shoulders on the scary parts?

I didn't like 414 from Fort Bridger to Manila. It had no shoulders at all and most of it was like a washboard. It shook our coach to death. When we go back north we would take 530 to Green River, I think that is a better road.

Yeah anyway we are in a 40 footer and towing so I am so glad to get your advice.

Let me know about the shoulders, k?
Old 09-14-2018, 09:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira View Post
Thank you Bus and Two,

I am a nervous passenger and don't like roads with no shoulders. Does 191 have any shoulders on the scary parts?

I didn't like 414 from Fort Bridger to Manila. It had no shoulders at all and most of it was like a washboard. It shook our coach to death. When we go back north we would take 530 to Green River, I think that is a better road.

Yeah anyway we are in a 40 footer and towing so I am so glad to get your advice.

Let me know about the shoulders, k?
Here let me show you what you mean - This is in the San Juan's - #2 is Independence Pass - think you will be free from any thing like these two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2gxgs51.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	219071   Click image for larger version

Name:	21o3teh.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	219072  

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:32 PM   #6

It surprising how many highways have a YouTube. Here's one on 191 to Vernal. Keep in mind that this is a video by a motorcyclist.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:28 PM   #7

Well sorry to say, I chickened out.

We left Manila and went north on 530 to Green River and then took the interstate westbound.

Its a little stressful for me to be digging my nails into the armrests the whole time.

Anyway we came south on I-15 and made our way from one National Park to the next.

The next scary road was 12 from Escalante to Capital Reef. Not the whole way but there was a part that I had to close my eyes. Then we had to go back to I-15 for maintenance reasons so we didn't take any of the secondary roads east of Capital Reef.

Thanks very much for your help though. Maybe if we were in a smaller MH it would be a little less stressful, but then we wouldn't have the diesel and the jake brake!!
Old 12-18-2018, 09:56 PM   #8

Thanks for returning with an update. Wish more would do so.