Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2022, 03:50 AM   #1

Marion NC to Mackinaw City

I'm traveling to Marion NC, then onto Mackinaw City in the early summer. Route \ camp recommendations welcome. Would also like to then head to Niagara Falls and back to Florida.

Thank you
Rick
RK4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2022, 05:04 AM   #2

You will want to stop in Frankenmuth Mi for a couple days its hard to see and do all in just one. https://www.frankenmuth.org/

As for Mackinaw City and the surrounding area I would plan on at least 4 days. I will be on day just for the island.

I am sure folks will let you know on rv parks but most are all the same. Just work with rv lifes list of campgrounds

https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/

If you can get across the border go to Niagara Falls on the Canada side. We stayed at the Jelly Stone park a few years back. Great transportation to the falls area.

Should be a great trip
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:46 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Cincinnati to Mackinaw to Niagara Falls

Hi Rick, here are a few suggestions since I grew up at Niagara Falls (Canadian side) and know the Ontario 'cottage country' quite well.
One good stopover on I-75 if you are a member of FMCA is at the exclusive RV park next to the FMCA Postal Forwarding facility in Cincinnati OH. This is a benefit worth the price of membership for sure. See https://www.fmca.com/index.php/fmca-campground.html
From Mackinaw City you have a choice to return south and cross into Canada at Port Huron MI, with a pretty straight run on Hwy 403 toward Niagara; or to continue north into Canada crossing at Sault Ste Marie and to enjoy the scenery of the TransCanada Highway east to Sudbury and then south toward Toronto with an overnight in Parry Sound. If you have never done this route before it would be memorable.

Try the wonderful and very affordable meals at a Swiss Chalet while in Canada. Their rotisserie chicken is to die for.

The views and facilities on the Canadian side of the river are much preferred over Niagara Falls, NY. There are plenty of campgrounds on the Canadian side including a nice KOA on Lundy's Lane, one of the main roads leading to the Falls area. Shangri-La Family Campground is also very nice and a little farther away from the hustle-bustle. Just remember to check the current border crossing rules (COVID, firearms, fresh produce) so you aren't surprised and can make an informed decision on which route you want to take.

Bonne journee
LennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:20 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
I should have said from Port Huron MI you enter Canada and travel on Hwy 402 to 401 to 403 to meet up with the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) that takes you to Niagara Falls. Shangri-La campground is near Jordan, Ontario, and that is about 20 miles west of the Falls.
Vineyard tours are quite popular at Niagara-on-the-Lake (NOTL), as well as a visit to Fort George and the quaint community of NOTL. At Inniskillin Winery try the ice wine and you can book an evening tasting and dinner there.

Each summer there is a Shaw Festival at NOTL where live performers act out George Bernard Shaw plays. If you like live theater it is very enjoyable.

When heading back south toward FL recommend crossing into the USA at Fort Erie / Buffalo then I-90 west to I-77 south toward Pittsburgh.
LennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A few things I would tell everyone to see on that trip: Biltmore house in Asheville NC, The Air Force Air Museum at Wright Patterson AFB near Dayton Ohio, Greenfield Village and Ford Museum near Dearborn MI.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:57 AM   #6

Sleeping Bear Dunes.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:04 AM   #7

Highly recommend the Ford museum & Greenfield village https://www.thehenryford.org/

Here's a basic campground not too far away Wayne County Fairgrounds

And, on your way to Mackinaw City stop here for a great meal Legs Inn

When in Mackinaw City our favorite campground is https://www.campmackinaw.com/
Try to get a site near the shore of lake Huron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
A few things I would tell everyone to see on that trip: Biltmore house in Asheville NC, The Air Force Air Museum at Wright Patterson AFB near Dayton Ohio, Greenfield Village and Ford Museum near Dearborn MI.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2 Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:10 AM   #8

We avoided Detroit
We took 90/80 to 495 to 23 to 75 to Mackinac City back in 2012.
23 was a good road and just like an interstate back then.
Stayed at Mackinaw Creek Mills Campground
It was a very nice campground right on the lake with a view of the bridge lit up at night.
Lots of mosquitoes too
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:09 PM   #9

Additional information

Thank you all for the trip information so far. Can anyone provide good route information on which highways would be best to take from Marion to Mackinaw I'm thinking I will stop in Ohio some place and also Michigan prior to Mackinaw.

thank you
Rick
RK4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:22 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
From Marion, go west on I-40. When you reach Knoxville, take I-75 North. Get off I-75 in Mackinaw City.

Stops along the way: Cincinnati, stay at FMCA Campground on the southeast side of town. Detroit, stay at Wayne County Fairgrounds or Ann Arbor KOA. If you have a couple of days to spare, take in the Ford Museum, Greenfield Village, and a factory tour - well worth the time. Mackinaw City, stay at Mackinaw Mill Creek.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 02-03-2022, 12:24 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Where is a good place to stay in Sudbury for a couple of nights?
sueleibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:28 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you are taking i-75. I would get off i-75 south of Toledo, oh and take i-475 to US-23 just south of Flint, MI I would get back on i-75. This is shorter better roads and you skip Detroit
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:24 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
If you need a campground in Marion, NC I highly recommend either Mountain Stream RV Park or Buck Creek RV Park.
Mountain Stream is a small, tight park; but one of the prettiest little rv parks we have stayed in. No cell phone service at all.
Buck Creek is very easy to get to and is more spread out. If you are in a real big rig, you probably want Buck Creek.
If you go further up the road you can catch trout at a pay pond, have them clean them and then cook them on your grill that afternoon. Uum goood!
Thanks,
wog099 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:43 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Go just a little further north and stay a few days in Aune Osborn Campground and watch the big ships go thru the docks. Drive down to the "CUT" and you can almost reach out and touch them as they make their way into Lake Huron.