Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2021, 04:08 PM   #1

Memphis to SW Louisiana in 7 days

I need some suggestions for a side trip, we are taking our 28 ft motorhome and TOAD from our home in SW Louisiana to the Memphis area next month for our nieces graduation and family get together (425 miles). Afterward we will have about 7 days to make our way back home, and I am looking for thoughts of things to do along the way, we don't mind side trips, as long as it is not too far off route (probably not adding more than 300-400 miles to the trip). We have done central and western Arkansas a good bit the last few years (Hot Springs, Eureka Springs, Hwy 7, Queen Wilhelmina state park, etc.). I was sort of thinking the Natchez Trace, but my wife wants more of a destination, and less of a road trip.

So does anyone have any suggestions for interesting places to go, probably not in a big city within a few hundred miles radius of Memphis in late May?

thanks Ike

p.s. we will both have had our second covid shot by then, so will be more willing to be around people.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I sure would visit Vicksburg. Nice city but a great battlefield.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:25 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also, south of Vicksburg on old hwy 61 "The Rock and Roll Museum".
Old 04-08-2021, 05:48 PM   #4

We have done the Vicksburg battle field multiple times over the years, though the last time was about 10-12 years ago
Old 04-08-2021, 05:57 PM   #5

You might try some of the more northern areas is Arkansas in the Ozarks. Bull Shoals and Mountain Home come to mind. You might even take a float trip down the White or Current rivers although the Current may be in Missouri. Maybe visit some of the springs like Big Spring and some others that escape me right now, again in southern Missouri. Then there is the Ouichita (sp?) Mountains in eastern Oklahoma. That's all I've got. Have fun.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
You might try some of the more northern areas is Arkansas in the Ozarks. Bull Shoals and Mountain Home come to mind. You might even take a float trip down the White or Current rivers although the Current may be in Missouri. Maybe visit some of the springs like Big Spring and some others that escape me right now, again in southern Missouri. Then there is the Ouichita (sp?) Mountains in eastern Oklahoma. That's all I've got. Have fun.
Close. Ouachita Mountains.

Regards
Old 04-09-2021, 05:24 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies so far, I spent some time last night online looking, and am just not being inspired too much. Considering maybe then Chattanooga area for a few days then a slow drive down the Natchez trace (the southern end of the trace is under 150 miles from home), and it has been over 30 years since I was last in Chattanooga. Any suggestions for things to see and do between Memphis and Chattanooga (about 320 miles, so a solid 1 day drive, or casual 2 day).

This is not a firm plan, something in SE Missouri, NE Arkansas may be an option also, as we have done central and western Arkansas / Missouri multiple times (Hot Springs, Eureka Springs, Harrison, Branson, Joplin, etc.). Just not sure exactly what, I have been to and through the area several time before, but it has been decades, the last time I was Thanksgiving 1994 (my ex-wife is from SE Missouri near the Arkansas state line).
Old 04-09-2021, 06:07 AM   #8

It may be a bit north, but Hannibal MO comes to mind as a place to see. Lots to do and see with lots of history.
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:13 AM   #9

I looked at Hannibal, I have been there once as a teenager, though I don't recall much, but as you say it is a bit far north. Google says 385 miles from Memphis so a long one day drive, and just over 800 from Hannibal to get home, so that chews up at least 3 of 7 days with long days on the road.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:34 AM   #10

Mountain View area in AR is pretty cool although I would ASSume that the cave tours at Blanchard Caverns are shut down.

If heading over to Chattanooga consider a toad weekday day trip over to the Ocoee River area to include the Cherohala Pkwy. If you do this make sure to hit the Telico Grains Bakery. Their homemade wood fired pizzas are simply wonderful and everything else there also does not suck.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...Tennessee.html

If you do the Cherohala make sure you take the short side trip to the waterfalls a few miles east of Telico Plains.

You may want to consider staying over by Cleveland, TN to get you closer to all of the scenic goodness of the tri state area.

I plan on being in that area for a few days being a hooligan on my motorcycle the last week of April.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:50 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One thing we've sort of tried, but didn't have the time to do it properly was "The Great River Road".

https://experiencemississippiriver.com

There is a lot to see but it takes time.

Also Branson. Every time we go there we find something new.