Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2018, 10:56 AM   #1

Michigan to NH and Maine

DW and I are planning a trip from Allegan, MI to Stratham, NH and then into Maine this summer. Would prefer to take secondary roads if they are good for travel by RV. Assume I'd cross at Port Huron into Canada, then at Niagara, In NY, but don't want to take 90 across if there is a good option. We took Rt 2 from Glacier NP to Michigan a couple years ago and really enjoyed that trip. Any suggestions? Good Campgrounds to stay at along the way? Any 'not to miss' sites you'd recommend? Could come back through Canada if that is a good route too.

Thanks for the input!
Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2018, 11:23 AM   #2

I took one trip, crossed at Port Huron then back into US at Thousand Islands then rt. 3 through the New York lakes area then crossed into Vermont at south end of lake George. Interesting route with nice scenery. Thousand Islands offers boat tours. Lake Placid still has some Olympic venues, Fort Ticonderoga at the south end of lake Champlain gives some history.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:25 AM   #3

Thanks Dave, will start mapping it out.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:09 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
You could also take I-80 through Ohio and PA to I-84 to New England. This is 52 miles longer but you would save the time and hassle of going through customs twice, and it saves you from the tolls on the New York Thruway (I-90).

I am sure you know this but if you do go through Canada, fill your fuel tank before you leave the USA as fuel is much cheaper in US than in Canada.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:19 PM   #5

Thanks MRUSA that does give me an approach to bypass Canada.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:26 PM   #6

Take a look at I86 from W NY to Binghamton then I88 to Albany. Actually connects to I90 for 2 exits but no toll.
A stop at Corning Museum of Glass and Glenn Curtis Museum in Hammondsport and local wineries arpund finger lakes are worthwhile diversions.
From Albany several choices across VT & NH
If you go N NY 1000 Is also worth some time. Take a boat tour to see it from the water...Boldt & Singer Castle trips. Don't miss the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton...it's a MUST In my book at least.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:06 PM   #7

Thanks winemaker! Great suggestions.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:24 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
It’s been decades since I was near the Corning museum. Wasn’t there a airplane/glider location that you could get glider rides nearby?

Also the glass museum was cool & informative.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post
It’s been decades since I was near the Corning museum. Wasn’t there a airplane/glider location that you could get glider rides nearby?

Also the glass museum was cool & informative.
Harris Hill nearby does have glider rides.
Corning Museum has expanded 2x in recent decades... new hot glass exhibit area among new additions.
Along I88 is Cooperstown if you are into baseball...
And Howes Caverns.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:44 PM   #10

NH to Maine Trip

Hello , Just did this trip from Ohio to Maine last summer , took RT 90 to Syracuse NY, then got off and stayed at Lake Oneida at a state Campground on the water, from there we went to Old Forge, and went to Lake Placid, then to stayed at Ausable Chasm state park, very nice then drove to Port Kent only 10 miles up the road. Put the MH on a Ferry for 85$ and crossed Lake Champlain to Burlington Vermont, got on RT 2 and drove all the way to Bar Harbor Maine. While stopping along the way at Mt . Washington , staying at Gorham NH, and doing day trips to the Mountain , and to the Mt. Washington Hotel not to be missed. Rt 2 takes you all the way to Bar Harbor, most of it is very nice rd, and very scenic ! Great Trip !!!
Gpsmith620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:02 PM   #11

If you cross at Port Huron and cross back in the Niagara Falls area then take Rt-104 across the top of the state as far as Fulton where you either drop down to I-90 in Syracuse or run across to the top of Oneida Lake. Pick up either Rt 5 or I-90 in Utica. I'd get off either one heading to Bennington VT. Run across southern VT to Brattleboro then on to Concord, NH and out to the coast.

Rt 104 is mostly farm country with a couple of slow downs. The north side of Rochester is about half controlled access highway out through Webster then back in farm country out to Fulton, NY. From there it depends how you go past Oneida L. You will also get some city driving through Troy, NY. At various times I have been over all or at least most of that route with a MH. Not a problem. Big trucks do it all the time.

If you have some ideas of how far you want to go or where you want to stop post them. Bennington, VT is worth a day of just poking around. Ditto, Niagara Falls.

Rt 3 is through the Adirondacks not the Finger Lakes. Farther North than you probably want to be. OTOH the area and the Thousand Islands area are also worth a trip of their own.

If you are going and coming back I would seriously take a look at going one way and coming back the other. That is through Canada to Niagara Falls and across the southern tier of NY and South shore of Lake Erie. They are different trips with a lot of side trips in NY depending what you are interested in.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:47 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsmith620 View Post
Hello , Just did this trip from Ohio to Maine last summer , took RT 90 to Syracuse NY, then got off and stayed at Lake Oneida at a state Campground on the water, from there we went to Old Forge, and went to Lake Placid, then to stayed at Ausable Chasm state park, very nice then drove to Port Kent only 10 miles up the road. Put the MH on a Ferry for 85$ and crossed Lake Champlain to Burlington Vermont, got on RT 2 and drove all the way to Bar Harbor Maine. While stopping along the way at Mt . Washington , staying at Gorham NH, and doing day trips to the Mountain , and to the Mt. Washington Hotel not to be missed. Rt 2 takes you all the way to Bar Harbor, most of it is very nice rd, and very scenic ! Great Trip !!!
Big fan of Rt 2 thru Vermont,New Hampshire and Maine . Its a tad slow thru the towns but is great if you want a slice of New England
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:13 AM   #13

Thanks everyone. That's the info I was looking for.