Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2019, 02:36 AM   #1

Microsoft Streets & Trips 2009

Anyone use this software to plan their trips?

I have a Tom Tom GPS (720 Go).
I use it regularly. However, I sometimes use S&T 2009, instead.

I used it back in my "trucking" days. I think that the last year that
Microsoft made this software was 2013. Therefore, since my copy is 2009, I do realize that it is really outdated. But, most of the highways have not changed much since then. Yes, some have, but most have not.

I have a GPS mouse that plugs into one of my laptop's USB ports.
This allows my laptop to show me, in real time, my location (within 3 feet). When/if you pull your vehicle over onto a highway shoulder, the little vehicle "icon" on the screen will even show that you are pulling over. It is that accurate, providing that that particular section of road hasn't been modified since 2009.

You can even tell the program how long you are planning on driving each day. The route shown on the map will display a little "half-moon" symbol, to tell you where you should be looking for a place to shut it down for the night.

You can designate as many stops as you wish, & whether you want the QUICKEST route, the SHORTEST route, etc.

The program let's you pick points of interest along the way, & you decide how far off of that route that you are willing to travel to get to that POI.

When you see a POI, museum, restaurants, etc., you can click on that particular POI, & the program will give you the address & phone number.

Now, granted, with the program being 10 years old, a lot of businesses are no longer in business. But, a lot of them still are. What's really cool about this particular feature is that you can pick ANY POI along your route.

There is also a "night mode" feature. When you travel at night, you don't want your laptop's bright white screen shining in your face, as you drive. The "night mode" feature changes all of the screen's colors to BLACK and GREEN, with the vehicle color staying YELLOW and RED.

Yes, the program is old. But I still enjoy using it. I just place my laptop on the center console, and my GPS mouse up on the dash, in the middle, up by the windshield.

I haven't upgraded to S&T 2013. I don't feel that I really need to.

Ken
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Your post brought back great memories of using S&T back in the day. It was a great package for the time. I remember you could also add a rest stop every 4 or so hours to give you a true arrival time.

It's big shortcoming was lack of live traffic. That's why I moved to Google Maps on my smartphone. Other than using your data plan, it has zero cost, the traffic is real time, it reroutes you automatically around traffic, and the POIs are updated pretty much every month (for free).

It might be time to experiment with Google Maps!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #3

I still have a copy of 2013 on a Dell mini 9 notebook stashed somewhere. I had the gps dongle for use while traveling and a small inverter to supply power. I liked S&T a lot. Best route planner ever. Went to an Ipad and apps in 2015. If I still had the 2013 disks I would give them to you.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #4

We still use the last version of Delorme's Street Atlas which is awesome. You can easily compose a route - even meandering on back roads - and you can do this off-line. No internet needed.

We also find that roads really don't change. Perhaps if you're doing big cities but not normal roads. We don't do interstates or cities so no need for traffic information. That's why we drive secondary roads - no traffic.

We haven't found anything to compare.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We still use the last version of Delorme's Street Atlas which is awesome. You can easily compose a route - even meandering on back roads - and you can do this off-line. No internet needed.

We also find that roads really don't change. Perhaps if you're doing big cities but not normal roads. We don't do interstates or cities so no need for traffic information. That's why we drive secondary roads - no traffic.

We haven't found anything to compare.
What is DeLorme's latest year? Price?

Just like DeLorme, no internet is needed. It's too bad that Microsoft stopped publishing Streets and Trips.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxxi View Post
What is DeLorme's latest year? Price?

Just like DeLorme, no internet is needed. It's too bad that Microsoft stopped publishing Streets and Trips.
2015 was the last update. It would probably be hard to find. Try Ebay or Amazon. It's probably around $50 or so... not sure.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:17 AM   #7

Windows 10 has a built in program called "Maps". It works pretty well but there is no documentation that I have been able to find. After working with it for a while, I'm beginning to like it alot.

When onlne, it has an Aerial view which is like Google Earth. You can download regional maps so you can use it off line, but only the road view is available off line. This was one of the functionality pluses of Streets.

Haven't figured out how to save different versions of a file. Every place I save as a favorites is in the master.

It will search for hotels but not campgrounds. For that we use RVParky and some other sites.

If you have Windows 10, it should be there and it's free.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
Windows 10 has a built in program called "Maps". It works pretty well but there is no documentation that I have been able to find. After working with it for a while, I'm beginning to like it alot.

When onlne, it has an Aerial view which is like Google Earth. You can download regional maps so you can use it off line, but only the road view is available off line. This was one of the functionality pluses of Streets.

Haven't figured out how to save different versions of a file. Every place I save as a favorites is in the master.

It will search for hotels but not campgrounds. For that we use RVParky and some other sites.

If you have Windows 10, it should be there and it's free.
I have 2 laptops. One runs Windows 7, & the other is actually a Windows 10 that has been converted back to Windows 7. I'll check the latter laptop, but it probably doesn't have MAPS.

On a side note, I'm hoping that it does have it, but I just never have been a big fan of any OS after Windows 7.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #9

I am still running Street Atlas 2015. I keep looking for a replacement but the only free-standing is Co-Pilot and I haven't learned that well enough to use it.

Windows map is a sad replacement. It will not receive data from a GPS and cannot point to fuel or ONP stops.

We do run a free-standing GPS loaded with the days drive for the driver, and we try to monitor Google maps for the road conditions ahead.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
...We also find that roads really don't change. Perhaps if you're doing big cities but not normal roads...
I agree.
The roads & highways in big cities, like Houston or Dallas, are always changing. But, not in the smaller towns.

When you are using a GPS mouse, Streets and Trips lets you choose 1 of 2 options -

• allow the map to stay upright (north pointing upward & south pointing downward) & the vehicle icon on the screen will turn to whichever direction you turn, or;

• allow the vehicle icon to ALWAYS point upward (so that your vehicle & the icon on the screen are pointing up ahead) & your map will rotate as your vehicle makes a turn.

I regularly use this 2nd option.

The program also has voiced "turn-by-turn" instructions. (I never use this feature. To me, this is just an unnecessary distraction.)

In addition to this, I also like being able to look at the screen and see that I am almost to my next turn. (Although this can be done with your phone.)