Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #15

Just FYI if your crossing at Sweetgrass/Coutts, a few miles before the crossing is a campground called Lewis & Clark. Not much to look at, but it's convenient to get supplies before you cross into Canada. Nothing cheap across the border. Also the owner will store any firearms you might be carrying and don't want the hassle of all the paperwork with customs. The firearms are stored in a locked locker. Not too much trouble taking a long gun, but you probably won't be able to carry a handgun across the border without a lot of paperwork and background check ,so start early, and the permit is only for a limited time before you have to renew it, and that can only be done back in Canada. So you see they really don't want you to bring a handgun with you. It can also be done if you can find an FFL dealer in the states who will ship it to another FFL dealer in Ak.(There's one in Tok,Ak.) Then you have to reverse the procedure coming back. I just didn't want all the trouble so I stored ours.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm12 View Post
We are going up through Shreveport then Dallas up through Colorado to Montana. The other couple has family there and she was originally from there so we will site there first for a few days. Will cross into Canada east of Glacier National park. Then go the Canadian Rockies.
When will you try to go?
It will be several years down the road. We just started RV'ing less than a year ago with the fiver. When we bought it I figured we would use it for about 5 years until I retire at 66. The stress of working out of state for 23 years finally got to me and I retired early (61 now). So now we have to sell our fiver and truck. Then we will get a MH and start traveling a lot more.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
We went to Alaska from Beaumont, Texas last summer. We went with Adventure Treks Caravan. It was the greatist adventure we have ever done. The Caravan was not restrictive. We had plenty of time to do our own thing. We even did the Top of th World Highway seperately because the Caravan did not go that way. We are going back again in 2014 on our own, just because there were some of our favorite places we want to spend lots of time at. Our trip is on: mytripjournal.com/thecoopersnorthtoalaska2012
I cannot tell you what a great time you will have.
CPCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #18

Ramets, very useful info. I gave up on carrying any firearm when i started reading and understanding how hard it is. You gave a different and good alternative.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPCooper View Post
We went to Alaska from Beaumont, Texas last summer. We went with Adventure Treks Caravan. It was the greatist adventure we have ever done. The Caravan was not restrictive. We had plenty of time to do our own thing. We even did the Top of th World Highway seperately because the Caravan did not go that way. We are going back again in 2014 on our own, just because there were some of our favorite places we want to spend lots of time at. Our trip is on: mytripjournal.com/thecoopersnorthtoalaska2012

Wow I almost made my mind not to do caravan based on previous comments, and you just brought a different dimension to this decision.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
Ramets, very useful info. I gave up on carrying any firearm when i started reading and understanding how hard it is. You gave a different and good alternative.
Pistols are difficult to impossible.

Shotguns, fill out the form, pay $25.00, good for 2 months, takes less than 15 minutes. You can speed up the process by downloading the form from the Canadian Customs website and filling it out before you arrive at customs.

I have carried my shotgun across the border on the last 4 trips. No sweat at all.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIlBoy View Post
Wrestled with this question last year. Went on our own, and loved it. I'm not into group activities and spending time with many people. We went where we wanted, and stayed however long was right for us. Never once were we worried or felt uncomfortable by travelling alone. Best trip ever!
That's what I have been reading. Plan to do Yellowstone - Glacier - then Alaska in 2014 or 2015 depends on wife's schedule (she won't be retired yet). Anyone like to post a budget for border to Alaska and back? Thanks in advance.

PS- is the $25 for shotgun permit in US or CD?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post

That's what I have been reading. Plan to do Yellowstone - Glacier - then Alaska in 2014 or 2015 depends on wife's schedule (she won't be retired yet). Anyone like to post a budget for border to Alaska and back? Thanks in advance.

It's CD
Old 01-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

When I get back to my laptop I can post a MS Excel file that has my actual costs from my last 2 runs on the ALCAN.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
T Anyone like to post a budget for border to Alaska and back? Thanks in advance.
Hope this helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AK to OH.pdf (47.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: pdf NV to AK.pdf (59.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPCooper View Post
Glad to hear about Adventure Treks. We are booked with them for the 50 day trip this year.
I would really like to do the Top of the World Highway also but we also want to re-connect with the Caravan in Whitehorse to do the Skagway Train trip. How long did it take you to get back to Whitehorse? Did you still do the trip to Skagway?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post

Hope this helps
Did you attach a worksheet?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post

Did you attach a worksheet?
No, just a PDF file showing the data. If you need the excel file I can post it over the weekend
Old 01-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post

No, just a PDF file showing the data. If you need the excel file I can post it over the weekend
Sorry I am new but I dont see any PDF. How do I view