Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #1

Milwaukee Wisconsin to Myrtle Beach South Carolina in December

Looks like we will be headed south in December around the 17th and would like a nice drive doing this in a Jayco Precept. Would like some ideas on traveling thru either Ill. Or Indiana to Atlanta to Myrtle Beach. Not sure how 41 is to drive or hwy 57 and of course hwy 65 thru Indiana. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as driving that time of year would like to be as least stressful as possible.

Thank you
Mark
ukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #2

I think your best bet will be to follow what Google maps suggest..

Obviously, going around Chicago is best.. we've done it numerous times on our way down south.. Indiana is "ok"... weather is going to be the biggest issue.. Likely, you won't have to worry, but a storm is always possible while in Indiana.. watch the forecast and adjust your departure times accordingly

Once you get just north of Louisville, you can take the new I-265 bypass around Louisville and hook up with I-64 towards Lexington, KY..

As for the rest of the way.. I've driven as far as Asheville, NC....

My route was I-94 to I-294 to I-80/94 to I-65 to I-265 to I-64 to I-75 to I-640 to I-40... And once to Asheville it looks like you jump on I-26 to I-20 towards Myrtle Beach..

Sounds like a fun time... We'll be going to The Villages, FL between Christmas and New Years.. but we don't get to take the RV...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:06 AM   #3

After getting past Chicago, my favorite route would be I-65 & I-265 past Louisville, I-64 to Lexington, I-75 to Knoxville, I-40 to Asheville, I-26 to Columbia, I-20 & US-501 to Myrtle Beach. No reason to go through Atlanta unless you just want to see it and the heavy traffic.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:38 PM   #4

I know its the most direct route but I-65 is in terrible condition and a lot of road construction in Indiana. Been up and down plenty of times and its BAD
radarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarboy View Post
I know its the most direct route but I-65 is in terrible condition and a lot of road construction in Indiana. Been up and down plenty of times and its BAD
Got to agree. I don’t have much choice living in central Indiana and have been on 74 east and west of Indy, 75 east/south of Indy, and 70 west of Indy. Along with 69 between Indy and Fort Wayne. All were not in the best of shape when we were on them this year, most if not all had construction also. Seen some other bad roads this year in other states but IN has just been a PITA,of course I may be biased since I have driven in the construction so much. I am not sure what 80/90 (toll road) is like across the top of the state. Also my wife and I noted it seems like percent of traffic that is semi-tucks is high compared to what we have seen in other states.
In any case might want to check IN DOT for construction information to help in your plans.

Tom
Old 11-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #6

thanks for the info.
ukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:54 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Have made the trip from WI to SC many times.

First, don't fear Chicago. Take the 294 bypass to 80 which will then take you to 65. I don't doubt that 65 will have some construction but any delays you might run into are unlikely to add any more time than trying to route around it.

I agree with the 65 to 64 to 75 to 40 to 26 to 20 route.

Enjoy the ride.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
myrtle beach