Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #1

Minn to Nor Cal?

It's been years since I've driven across country, 35 or so to be exact. Sept we are picking up our new Newmar in Garfield Minn and will be driving to Northern Cal, Sacramento area to be exact. I've done Apple maps, Google, truck route maps and seems to have 3 main option always pop up. We are getting a 45' Mountain Aire and have no issues driving larger vehicles so not worried about that. The three routes seems to be about 200 miles difference between shortest and longest.

Shortest: Up to Fargo ND, south out of Bozeman through west side of Yellowstone, hit 80 west to home.

Middle: through country side of Minn south to Sioux Falls, 90 through Rapid City and don through Casper and or cheyanne over to 80 west to home

Longest: south through Sioux Falls, hang a right in Omaha and 80 west to Sacramento.

Routes one and two have some areas of 2 lane roads. These are the ones I question as to the ability for the 45' to navigate? My wife has never been though the mid west so everything will be new to her. We really don't have time to,make a long drive home. We most likely will need to due it in 4 days or less due to,work.

Any inside would help. Thanks
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #2

Assuming the weather forecast was the same for all three choices (very important) of the three that you mention, I would choose either shortest or the middle route. It kind of depends on what you want to see. We picked up our coach at the factory in Nappanee, Indiana in August of '15 (so the time of the year is close). Our maiden journey home to Southern California took us up to MN and ND (visit with family) and across Canada towards British Columbia. We then turned left when approaching the Pacific Ocean and travel down the coast line.

Given your 4 day restriction, you might just consider this to be a utility drive home with some scouting for trips(s) in the future. Chose an area that interests you, be it mountainous or central plains. Look at the current and forecasted weather. Fuel up and enjoy.

Congratulations on your new coach. Welcome to the Newmar family.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmf23 View Post
It's been years since I've driven across country, 35 or so to be exact. Sept we are picking up our new Newmar in Garfield Minn and will be driving to Northern Cal, Sacramento area to be exact. I've done Apple maps, Google, truck route maps and seems to have 3 main option always pop up. We are getting a 45' Mountain Aire and have no issues driving larger vehicles so not worried about that. The three routes seems to be about 200 miles difference between shortest and longest.

Shortest: Up to Fargo ND, south out of Bozeman through west side of Yellowstone, hit 80 west to home.

Middle: through country side of Minn south to Sioux Falls, 90 through Rapid City and don through Casper and or cheyanne over to 80 west to home

Longest: south through Sioux Falls, hang a right in Omaha and 80 west to Sacramento.

Routes one and two have some areas of 2 lane roads. These are the ones I question as to the ability for the 45' to navigate? My wife has never been though the mid west so everything will be new to her. We really don't have time to,make a long drive home. We most likely will need to due it in 4 days or less due to,work.

Any inside would help. Thanks
I may not be of any help, but will give some insight;

Picking up a New Coach.

Driving from Minn to Sacramento.

1800-2000 miles, through some of the most Beautiful parts of the Country.

Have not been out here in 35 years.

September, is the drive back time to Sacramento.

Wondering if the 45'er can handle the two lane Roads?

Don't have any time.

Did I cover everything?

Have 4 Days - WE HAVE A PROBLEM!

First, IMHO if you do not have time to enjoy this trip, then why are you buying a 45' motor home?

This is what most people buy a Coach for.

Again, IMHO this is just wrong - solution one - GET MORE TIME - solution two - wait till you GET MORE TIME.

Pretty Simple.

1. If I were driving from Minnesota first stop would be Custer/ Mt Rushmore/Black Hills (550 miles) - Spend the night - Catch the Dusk Show - get up early (or spend the day - see Jewel Cave - Custer SP - Needles - Crazy Horse)

2. Then getting up early drive to Estes Park, Colorado - (Only 350 miles) Trail Ridge - Elk - (Could hang around a day or so and take a few hikes)

3. Then again get up Early Head down Peak to Peak to Idaho Springs and I-70 - over Eisenhower Tunnel - to RT 91 headed to Leadville/Buena VIsta/Gunnison, CO (You could stop - Turquoise Lake - Collegiates - Arkansas River - Crested Butte - Quincy's for Dinner K's for lunch) Hikes and 4x4 trails to die for)

4. Once more starting early we will catch Ouray/Silverton/Telluride/ not a long drive but one of the BEST non National Park rides in America ( https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg ) Will have enought time to stretch yur legs get out ans see the San Juan's, if this is late September the Aspen will be Golden.

5. Now on to Moab - getting a few things we missed out of the way - Aspen/Maroon Bells - to I-70 and the over under drive along the cliffs and the Colorado River through Glenwood Springs then out to Utah - jump off on exit 214 to Moab, RT 128 this is the drive along the Colorado River that, to me, feels like the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Catch Arches/Canyonland then heading to RT 50 and Sacramento.

Might not work for you but if I were to drive 2000 miles anywhere and not stop it's Bad.

But to drive across the Rockies and not drop by ar at least drive by/through is IMHO a CRIME.

I've added 4-600 more miles and Hours of Smiles....

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #4

If itís a new coach, I think I would camp near the dealer for a few days and put the coach through its paces before setting out cross country so any new coach issues that can spoil your trip can be dealt with. Then I would take I-90 (weíve been over it several times) and stop in the Black Hills. From there, we went down SD-79 (mostly 4 lane) to west, then south, then west on US-18 to get on I-25 at Orin, WY and on to Cheyenne. This worked well for us and is shorter than going west on I-90 to pick up I-25. Which ever way you go, be aware that wind gusts can be a concern in that part of the country especially if it's hitting you from the side. We're heading to the Black Hills in a few months and then to Colorado Springs and my plan is to use the above routes south again.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #5

Thanks guys on your responses. I too agree getting a coach and driving through some of the most beautiful country side and not stopping is a crime. But I still have to work 2 more years so helps to work to pay for coach, and we need to get back for an annual 10 day trip to Pacific Coast in Bodega Bay. We plan on being at dealer living in coach 3-4days to exercise everything, I get things can happen but staying locally for a week or so isn't going to work for above said reason. My wife retires June 30th and I'll retire Oct 2020, so we bought our Coach while I still had time to work and plan on many trips working all the bugs and then we will be hitting all those spots you mentioned. I'm from the Midwest and still haven family in Sioux Falls, if we head that way we will stop,and see them. it is unfortunately we can't spend weeks getting back home but we will see it all. We plan on hitting all four corners of US over our retirement, we are both young and ready to enjoy.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:42 PM   #6

Hmf23, I understand your delima. We've all been there before. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Just keep an eye on the weather ahead of you and enjoy the new coach.

Safe travels!
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks guys on your responses. I too agree getting a coach and driving through some of the most beautiful country side and not stopping is a crime. But I still have to work 2 more years so helps to work to pay for coach, and we need to get back for an annual 10 day trip to Pacific Coast in Bodega Bay. We plan on being at dealer living in coach 3-4days to exercise everything, I get things can happen but staying locally for a week or so isn't going to work for above said reason. My wife retires June 30th and I'll retire Oct 2020, so we bought our Coach while I still had time to work and plan on many trips working all the bugs and then we will be hitting all those spots you mentioned. I'm from the Midwest and still haven family in Sioux Falls, if we head that way we will stop,and see them. it is unfortunately we can't spend weeks getting back home but we will see it all. We plan on hitting all four corners of US over our retirement, we are both young and ready to enjoy.
Seriously push the 10 day trip to Bodega Bay to next year - use that time in the Rockies - IMHO you will never see too much of the Rockies in September.

Maroon Bells in September https://www.google.com/search?q=maro...w=1229&bih=619

Collegiate Mountains https://www.google.com/search?q=Coll...w=1229&bih=619

2,000 miles...............................

Well at least I tried,

Best of Luck with the new Coach.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:55 PM   #8

Yeah the Bodega trip is a annual with a large group doing it 15+ yrs. We fill our freezers with RockFish, Halibut and Salmon when the runs are good. Always fill with rockfish, hard to do from the Rockies. Trust me we will see them and spend time there, my wife is 50 and I'm 48, she's retiring in June this year and I'm retiring when I hit 50 in Oct 2020.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Yeah the Bodega trip is a annual with a large group doing it 15+ yrs. We fill our freezers with RockFish, Halibut and Salmon when the runs are good. Always fill with rockfish, hard to do from the Rockies. Trust me we will see them and spend time there, my wife is 50 and I'm 48, she's retiring in June this year and I'm retiring when I hit 50 in Oct 2020.
Ever Fly Fish?........Might like Trout!

Maybe Next year bring the Crew out to Madison River - try something that is just a little Different.

I live on the Chesapeake Bay - we know Rock Fish!

Flying out to Colorado today for Memorial Day - Hard to beat those Rocks, especially with a little White on top or with those Beautiful Golden Aspen around their Base in September.

Even if you don't stop - at least get off the I's and drive through a few places - will help with the plans for the Next 15-20 years.

Soooooo much to see just never enough TIME.

JMHO,