Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2022, 09:27 PM   #1

Montana/Wyoming/Colorado Route Advice

Hi All!

We are heading up to Yellowstone staying in Island Park, Idaho to visit Yellowstone and that side of Montana for a week. The next week we are thinking about jumping over to go to Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills and so on.

We will be in our Moho (gas) towing our SUV with our kiddos and dogs.

Leaving SoCal We are heading up the 15 to Idaho. Leaving Idaho thinking about 191 to 90 and over. Heading home I was thinking 385 down to 25 through Colorado and down to Albuquerque.

Obviously we can't avoid all hills but are there any crazy descents along the way that I need to be aware of? Is that a suitable route? Any advice is completely welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

Doug
Ducksquasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2022, 03:41 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Idaho 33 and Wyoming 22 between Victor ID and Jackson WY is no place you want to be with an RV. Way too steep for my taste. It's doable, but unnecessary.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 03:53 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Click on this MAP.

If it were me I would drive straight through the park to Cody. Take WY120 to Worland and spend the night and let the kids play in the hot springs pools. You will probably like a soak as well! We prefer Star Plunge. Be sure to find an RV park in Worland and make a reservation! There is a small but very interesting dinosaur museum to visit in Thermopolis too!

From Worland I would take US20 to Worland and then US16 over Powder River Pass to I80 at Buffalo. Powder River Pass is a serious pass with steep grades, lots of turns and spectacular scenery. Millions of people in vehicles very similar to yours make this drive every year....You can do it!

Because I don't know where you want to go in the Black Hills I chose Custer, SD for your destination.

Don't forget to wave HI to all my relatives as you pass Gillette!

I suggest you take US385 all the way from Custer, SD to Vega, TX where you can pickup I40 directly into Albuquerque. I would forget I25!
Old 04-19-2022, 01:28 PM   #4

I like the idea of putting the kids and animals in the toad. Good thinking. You'll be glad you did. That's gonna be a looooooooong ride home

Tags
advice, colorado, montana, route