Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2019, 03:10 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Rock-n-Roll,
Thanks for the post. I got your PM too.

I've been to Dolores/Telluride & San Juan scenic road. This time I want to use 141, 145 & 62 to 550 to get to Ouray. It sounds like it's ok from others who posted. So unless someone pulls me off of that idea I'm going to go that way.

Now, from what you said, I better get an Ouray reservations. Maybe one for Buena Vista to Leadville too.???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Roll View Post
OK, after reading Simi98's post, I will post some recommendations so all can view and consider. I do not claim to be a know-it-all, I'll just share some of the incredible things for you to think about experiencing.
It is imperative that you start drinking, (and continue through your stay) a lot more water than you normally do on your way to the San Juans - to help prevent altitude sickness....that can ruin your experience. Take several bottles of water with you on your day trips. Altitude sickness is serious - don't take it lightly.
Please note: In Colorado - wherever you go, whatever route you take, you will experience travel delays due to road construction....it's just a way of life because the widow of opportunity, time wise is very narrow.
My recommendation is to NOT go on Hwy 550 from Durango north to Ouray with a rig. Yes, it can be done - but very hard on your equipment and your nerves. It is a 2 hour drive to go the 74 miles.....and that' in a car/truck. Yes, some will say they did it....I just don't recommend it.
For Traveldawg - Hwy491 from Monticello, to CO Hwy 184 East through Delores, then on to Hwy 145 north to Telluride are all good roads and recommended. Since you are staying in Ouray for a few days, (3 days - absolute minimum)….I'll provide some recommendations for this area a little later, (another post).
Back to Hwy 145......Lizard Head Pass is a nice stop to take in the views.....or just slow down a little.
I recommend you do not go into Telluride at this time. It is NOT RV friendly- traffic or parking=wise. Better in a tow vehicle/toad. Caution - when you start the decent from Mountain Village to Telluride the descent is deceptively steep and long. Take your time and control your speed. At the round-a-bout go left, (2nd Exit) towards Sawpit and Placerville. Right on Hwy 62 towards Ridgway. About a mile before you get to Dallas Divide, (the pass) you will see split rail fencing on the right. This is the beginning of Ralph Lauren's ranch, (it goes on for miles). The tallest mountain is Mt. Sneffels - over 14,000 feet. There will be lots of mountain snow remaining in June. About 1-1/2 miles from Dallas Divide, on your right will be a huge turn out, (1/2 acre +) and parking area. It's a great place to take in the views and take a lunch break. Continue on to Ridgway. As you continue on downhill, your co-pilot can look out to the right for the Tee-Pees, by the small lake on the Lauren ranch. (These are actually accommodations for his guests....like little apartments inside.)This is the area where John Wayne,s True Grit was filmed, (Ridgeway, the Cimmarons, Ouray, Silverton). The park in the center of town is where the hanging scene for the movie was filmed. Good place to eat there is the True Grit Café, on west side of the square. It's only 10 miles from Ouray, so you all can come back in your tow vehicle or toad. Better pricing for fuel is at the Conoco - it will be about 20-30 cents/gallon higher in Ouray.

Please note - Orvis Hot Springs is a "clothing optional" place...not recommended. There is very little room, if any for RV parking.

I recommend you consider staying at Ouray RV Park in Ouray and use the all new hot springs in town. All sites are 30' wide and can accommodate any size rig. No full-time residents there. You can walk to town along the river walk. Very friendly, on site owners and the restaurant in the park is run by a local, ("Bombie") that is very good. You do not need to pay more for the river side spots if you don't want to. Excellent/Clean laundromat if you need one.
You need to make reservations at any Ouray/Silverton RV park you choose - as soon as possible. The 3rd week on may already be booked solid. Contact the visitor's center, (ouraycolorado.com) for a visitor's guide and a link the web cam, overlooking the town from the blow out, (old volcano type thing). You can do the same for Telluride, Ridgway and Silverton. There will be waterfalls almost everywhere you go at this time.
Keep in mind, in this area -June is the hottest month of the year. It is hot and dry until mid-July, when the monsoons start. Cool mornings and evenings and only really hot for about 4-6 hours.

Sorry for the long post, I seem to kind of re-live our first visits while typing this. There is just so much to see and do in this area.
(I'll go on to Chapter 2 in another post.)
just did this last july. Ouray RV park is also where we stayed. Marrys café for burgers. this was on top of Mt. Sneffels. we will be going back to CO this year but around BuenaVista
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7396.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	586.9 KB
ID:	232588  
Old 01-20-2019, 09:20 PM   #17

Now that we have Traveldawg in the Ouray area, I will post itineraries for 3 fun-filled and scenic days in the area soon. I am not the final authority, but I've be fortunate to have been a hiking and Jeeping guide for several years. I just love the area....my enthusiasm leads to long posts.

None of the trips I mention will include going off road....that can be another thread.
(To really enjoy/experience the beauty in the area - a stock 4WD Jeep or 4WD SUV with cut resistant tires is needed, (NOT AWD). The Jeep trails started out as paths cut by the miners, (who followed Indian and/or animal trails), later wagon roads to the mines and finally cut wide enough for equipment. There are hundreds of miles of off-road trails within 25 miles of Ouray.) You can take a 4 hour guided trip up Yankee Boy basin to some of the mine sites, waterfalls and unbelievable views.
It is so beautiful and there is so much to do, it is worth taking a day or two off another part of your trip. Gunnison is only 2-1/2 hours away, so you can sleep in on the day of your departure and still have time to take in the sights on the way to Gunnison.

When you first arrive and are completely set up, there are several attractions in town you can take in when time permits, (Visitor's center, hot springs pool, city park, city hall, the museum - (old hospital...amazing), Ouray County Courthouse, (original "True Grit" movie - court scene filmed there), Mouse's Chocolates, Outlaw Steakhouse, Box Canyon Falls/park, The overlook at the NFS Amphitheater campground, Cascade Falls, (up 4th avenue) & just a leisurely walk down Main street.

In the evenings, the RV park has a large community fire pit, (propane fired - so no smoke) where campers bring their lawn chairs & beverages to share experiences, stories and socialize.
The mine tour in Silverton, (The Old 100) is much better than the Bachelor Syracuse mine tour just outside of town, but the Bachelor-Syracuse Mine Outdoor Café is a great experience, at reasonable cost. (Lots of stuff to see while you wait for your meal preparation.)
The restaurant at the Ouray RV campground is really good, portions are large enough to share and has had good reviews online. The restaurant owner is a town native, former miner, (as was his father) and very friendly. He's understandably not too talkative when they are real busy. When time permits he can provide a lot of entertaining history. The locals eat there a lot.

Traveldawg is planning an early June visit, so it could still be cool and rainy, I don't think so, but possible. The saying around here is to ignore the forecast and respect the weather.
Visiting this area and other parts of Colorado requires some minor, but very important preparation, (this applies to any time of the season):
-Camera(s), binoculars, fully charged cell phones and chargers
-full tank of gas/fuel, good map(s)/GPS
-Layered clothing, with the outer layer a rain proof/wind proof hooded jacket. Long pants recommended this time of year. Sweatshirt/sweater/vest to put under jacket, Hiking boots, gloves
-Sun screen, Chapstick type stuff with sun screen and a full brimmed hat, (such as a Tilly hat).
-A cooler with plenty of water, lunch &/or snacks for all on the trip. Folding chairs....in case you want to picnic.

To answer an earlier question about reservations - YES try to make them as soon as possible for the best choices...for ALL your Colorado planned stops. There are other parks in the Ouray area, (4J+1+1, Weber's, KOA & Ridgway state park) - but my opinion is that Ouray RV parks is the best base camp to choose from. (widest sites, best kept, friendly on site owners, clean restrooms and laundromat, no full-timers & location/location/location.)

More to follow, if this stuff interests those reading my posts on the subject.
Rock-N-Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
What if I stay in Buena Vista, CO and then take US285 to CO470 to get Denver? Any problems places there. I'm OK with mountain driving and it doesn't look like too long a trip.
That is the shortest route and the one we use every time we tow our trailer SW from Denver. We have lived two miles from the US 285-C-470 interchange for 41 years and use those two highways at least 5-6 times a week. Keep in mind that there are NO tolls anywhere on C-470! The tolls are on E-470, which is east of I-25 except a short section in the far northern Denver metro area.

My wife is a native of Golden and I have lived in in the metro area for 56 years. The last toll we paid in Colorado was on the Boulder Turnpike (now US 36) over 50 years ago.

If you want more route and camping info on Colorado, see my blog HERE.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Now that we have Traveldawg in the Ouray area, I will post itineraries for 3 fun-filled and scenic days in the area soon. I am not the final authority, but I've be fortunate to have been a hiking and Jeeping guide for several years. I just love the area....my enthusiasm leads to long posts.

None of the trips I mention will include going off road....that can be another thread.
(To really enjoy/experience the beauty in the area - a stock 4WD Jeep or 4WD SUV with cut resistant tires is needed, (NOT AWD). The Jeep trails started out as paths cut by the miners, (who followed Indian and/or animal trails), later wagon roads to the mines and finally cut wide enough for equipment. There are hundreds of miles of off-road trails within 25 miles of Ouray.) You can take a 4 hour guided trip up Yankee Boy basin to some of the mine sites, waterfalls and unbelievable views.
It is so beautiful and there is so much to do, it is worth taking a day or two off another part of your trip. Gunnison is only 2-1/2 hours away, so you can sleep in on the day of your departure and still have time to take in the sights on the way to Gunnison.

When you first arrive and are completely set up, there are several attractions in town you can take in when time permits, (Visitor's center, hot springs pool, city park, city hall, the museum - (old hospital...amazing), Ouray County Courthouse, (original "True Grit" movie - court scene filmed there), Mouse's Chocolates, Outlaw Steakhouse, Box Canyon Falls/park, The overlook at the NFS Amphitheater campground, Cascade Falls, (up 4th avenue) & just a leisurely walk down Main street.

In the evenings, the RV park has a large community fire pit, (propane fired - so no smoke) where campers bring their lawn chairs & beverages to share experiences, stories and socialize.

The mine tour in Silverton, (The Old 100) is much better than the Bachelor Syracuse mine tour just outside of town, but the Bachelor-Syracuse Mine Outdoor Café is a great experience, at reasonable cost. (Lots of stuff to see while you wait for your meal preparation.)

The restaurant at the Ouray RV campground is really good, portions are large enough to share and has had good reviews online. The restaurant owner is a town native, former miner, (as was his father) and very friendly. He's understandably not too talkative when they are real busy. When time permits he can provide a lot of entertaining history. The locals eat there a lot.

Traveldawg is planning an early June visit, so it could still be cool and rainy, I don't think so, but possible. The saying around here is to ignore the forecast and respect the weather.

Visiting this area and other parts of Colorado requires some minor, but very important preparation, (this applies to any time of the season):

-Camera(s), binoculars, fully charged cell phones and chargers
-full tank of gas/fuel, good map(s)/GPS
-Layered clothing, with the outer layer a rain proof/wind proof hooded jacket. Long pants recommended this time of year. Sweatshirt/sweater/vest to put under jacket, Hiking boots, gloves
-Sun screen, Chapstick type stuff with sun screen and a full brimmed hat, (such as a Tilly hat).
-A cooler with plenty of water, lunch &/or snacks for all on the trip. Folding chairs....in case you want to picnic.

To answer an earlier question about reservations - YES try to make them as soon as possible for the best choices...for ALL your Colorado planned stops. There are other parks in the Ouray area, (4J+1+1, Weber's, KOA & Ridgway state park) - but my opinion is that Ouray RV parks is the best base camp to choose from. (widest sites, best kept, friendly on site owners, clean restrooms and laundromat, no full-timers & location/location/location.)

More to follow, if this stuff interests those reading my posts on the subject.
Please, Please, Please - keep this going - Maybe even compile it into a Post of your own when finished that can be saved/Bookmarked and used as a reference to this part of Colorado. (Similar to what 4runnerguy did on Moab - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29448394.cfm - To have the Locals Share this inside info is PRICELESS to those of us who have enjoyed and fallen in love with this area. Not to get too carried away here but a few Images would give this a real Pop and more easy to understand. (Might look over Fanrgs Blog as the two of you might even Collaborate )

Images of the area - Stan Parker's images Might help - San Juan Mountains Photo Gallery by Stan Parker at pbase.com

Thanks Again and Keep it Going,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Please, Please, Please - keep this going - Maybe even compile it into a Post of your own when finished that can be saved/Bookmarked and used as a reference to this part of Colorado. (Similar to what 4runnerguy did on Moab - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29448394.cfm - To have the Locals Share this inside info is PRICELESS to those of us who have enjoyed and fallen in love with this area. Not to get too carried away here but a few Images would give this a real Pop and more easy to understand. (Might look over Fanrgs Blog as the two of you might even Collaborate )

Images of the area - Stan Parker's images Might help - San Juan Mountains Photo Gallery by Stan Parker at pbase.com

Thanks Again and Keep it Going,
I agree, very helpfull
Old 01-21-2019, 08:53 AM   #21

Good info from previous posters I also will 2nd, 3rd, 4th or whatever it is at this time for Ouray RV Park we have stayed there several times and they do a good job. And as mentioned easy walk to the Hot Springs and into town.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:37 PM   #22

Base Camp - Ouray (Day 1) - Recommendations
Note: I will mention a lot of activities. Not knowing each visitor's energy level you all can cut & paste to each ones' interests. (This will be the longest of 3 recommended day trips.....plenty of time to rest when you get to a less scenic area.)

Leave camp early - 0700 and head north from Ouray RV Park to Bachelor-Syracuse Mine Outdoor Café. (I think they open at 0730). By leaving early you will avoid traffic, see more wildlife and just enjoy the quiet beauty. Just past the Rotary ice skate rink, about 250 yards, veer right at the Y and head up the hill on dirt road, CR-14. Go slow. The little neighborhood on the left is called Panoramic Heights, (nicknamed "acid flats" - as it was built on tailings from the mines. It went through a major environmental haz-mat remediation about 7 years ago. Continue heading up the hill, stopping at the turn outs to enjoy views and take photos. Lots of big horn sheep in this area. Go past the small private lake Lenore community and take the curve to the right, (at the Y). Another 200 yards, then 180 right turn to the Outdoor Café. Stan is the owner and does a great job with his breakfasts. If you're not careful you can spend 2 hours there, taking photos, looking at the mine artifacts and talking with other visitors from all over the country. Again - I do not recommend the mine tour here. (Better one in Silverton).

When finished, head back to the highway and turn left/south. Go through town slowly, curve right past last house then sweeping curve to left. You can see the Box Canyon on your right. The large stone building, (about 150 yards off Hwy)-with tarp on arched roof is one of two powder houses. Miners would come into town, purchase their goods, take the receipt for dynamite and pick it up at the powder house on their way out of town, (to avoid burning/blowing up the town). That dirt road is Camp Bird road....leading to several mine sites and 4WD road to Telluride over Imogene Pass, (The pass will not be open in early June...4th of July opening is the annual goal.)

Stay on Hwy, just after next big curve to the right will be the turn-off, (to left) for the NFS Amphitheater campground, (very small RV's/tents - Beautiful town overlook which all should visit). Next curve is a large turn-out with the signs and great place to photo the mtns. and town. Continue on, through the tunnel and take the next turn-out, (on right) at Bear Creek Falls. There is a fly-bridge there, walk out and see the volume of water going under Hwy 550. Opposite Bear Creek falls is another long water fall. The pyramid looking mountain is Mt. Abrams. Looking just to right of Bear Creek falls is the site of the old Toll Booth. Absolutely beautiful photo ops here....don't miss it.

Back on Hwy continue slowly as this is the area that might be the scariest for some. Have the passenger look across the canyon, up the mountain side a little and look for the "Antique Shop". (actually the old Neosho mine site.) Locals started hanging out clothes and put up a sign as a joke over 45 years ago. Visitor's come into Ouray and want to know where the road to the Antique shop is.....a lot of fun). As you continue on, the steep rock cliffs on your left are known as the Ruby Walls. Be careful, as Large vehicles/RV's move way past the centerline of the road. No guardrails. Do not drive over rocks that fall onto road...they are sharp and will cut your tires.

Next large curve and beautiful waterfall, (going under 550) has a turn-out to stop & take pix. The dirt trail on left, going up the hill is Mineral Creek, a 4WD trail that will lead to Engineer Pass, Lake City or Silverton. (Do Not take this off-road trail.) Continue on, through the Riverside snow slide tunnel, past the 2 sets of switch backs and once on top, the views of the Red Mountains and Crystal Lake. If you leave early, the lake will yield beautiful reflective photos of the mountains. Stone foundation opposite the lake is the site of an old 1930's ski lodge/resort. Ended operations in 1933, (burned).

Continue on south about a mile and you'll see the turn-off, (left) for 4WD road to Corkscrew Pass and Brown Mtn. Do not take this off-road trail. The huge rock pile are tailings from the Idarado mine, up the mountain.

Continue on up the mountain, past the 2nd set of switchbacks. Soon you'll see some wooden buildings on the right. These buildings were moved from the townsite of Eureka, (N.E. of Silverton - about 10 miles away, & pulled up the mountain on Hwy 550). They were moved in the early 1970s and located where you see them - for the Idarado mine operations. Just past the ore car trestle, (you see on the left) is a turn out to a really nice observation area, (recommended).

The Idarado was a huge complex. During WWII it made major contributions to the war effort, providing copper, lead, zinc, silver and some gold. They had no place to dump the tailings, so they piped it down the mountain side, (in wooden pipes). The tailings covered almost all of the old mining town of Ironton. There are a few remaining buildings at the Ironton town site. (The Idarado ended mining operations in 1979 and went through 20 years of environmental clean up.) The Idarado actually tunnels through the mountain rock and comes out in Telluride.

The tall skinny mine building you see across the Hwy, about 1/2 mile is the Yankee Girl mine site, a 1200 foot vertical mine. From the observation area you can see parts of the Red Mountain mining district. There was actually a railroad that came up from Silverton, through the Red Mountain town, town of Guston and turned around at the Corkscrew gulch turn table, then headed back....built in 1880's. Continue on Hwy to Red Mountain pass, starting down the mountain towards Silverton. Take advantage of the turn-outs to take photos. A huge sweeping curve the at the bottom of the steep descent is called the Chattanooga Loop.....hillside to the right, just past the curve is the site of the mining town of Chattanooga. Continue on, the swampy area you see on the right is called the Fen, great place to see moose in the fall - September.

Continue on to Silverton. Just after you go through the major intersection, is the Visitor's center, (1st big building on right - and old mine operation building moved to current site) Recommended stop at visitor's center, (restrooms). Recommended places to eat are the Brown Bear and Handlebars. Silverton is an easy walk-around. The main town area covers 3 blocks on 2 parallel streets, (Greene & Empire). The Durango-Silverton train will start coming into Silverton around noonish, depending on the # of trains they send up each day. If you have a truck or SUV, (no mini-vans or sedans!)….I recommend you make the trip up to the Ghost Town called Animas Forks, (this will be a 2-3 hour trip). This trip leaves out of Silverton, going northeast, (get directions at Visitor's center). This is a fairly well maintained gravel road. Incredibly beautiful trip with lots of photo ops. Highly recommended!

If you want to see a really good mine tour, I recommend the Old 100 Mine Tour. The road to the mine tour goes off to the right, towards Cunningham gulch, (at the old town site of Eureka). Good road for all vehicles to the mine tour. Soon turns into 4WD trail after that. If you have to choose, skip the tour and go to Animas Forks. Beautiful drive, lots of waterfalls and scenery on the way to Animas Forks ghost town at 11,000' elevation. A lot of mine buildings, cabins, houses and the jail remain.

This will be a pretty full but extremely fun scenic day. When you leave Silverton, head north back to Ouray on Hwy 550. Same road as you came in on, but different views....beautiful.

Once you get back to Ouray, head back to your RV, rest a little while, shower then head to downtown for taking in the sights and finding a place to eat, if you like. The restaurant at the RV park is very good and has a good reputation. Don't miss Mouse's chocolates on 1st night....you'll want to go there every evening.

Future posts will be shorter.....that's my goal anyway. (Looking for feedback....is this TMI ??)
Old 01-30-2019, 09:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Base Camp - Ouray (Day 1) - Recommendations
Note: I will mention a lot of activities. Not knowing each visitor's energy level you all can cut & paste to each ones' interests. (This will be the longest of 3 recommended day trips.....plenty of time to rest when you get to a less scenic area.)

Leave camp early - 0700 and head north from Ouray RV Park to Bachelor-Syracuse Mine Outdoor Café. (I think they open at 0730). By leaving early you will avoid traffic, see more wildlife and just enjoy the quiet beauty. Just past the Rotary ice skate rink, about 250 yards, veer right at the Y and head up the hill on dirt road, CR-14. Go slow. The little neighborhood on the left is called Panoramic Heights, (nicknamed "acid flats" - as it was built on tailings from the mines. It went through a major environmental haz-mat remediation about 7 years ago. Continue heading up the hill, stopping at the turn outs to enjoy views and take photos. Lots of big horn sheep in this area. Go past the small private lake Lenore community and take the curve to the right, (at the Y). Another 200 yards, then 180 right turn to the Outdoor Café. Stan is the owner and does a great job with his breakfasts. If you're not careful you can spend 2 hours there, taking photos, looking at the mine artifacts and talking with other visitors from all over the country. Again - I do not recommend the mine tour here. (Better one in Silverton).

When finished, head back to the highway and turn left/south. Go through town slowly, curve right past last house then sweeping curve to left. You can see the Box Canyon on your right. The large stone building, (about 150 yards off Hwy)-with tarp on arched roof is one of two powder houses. Miners would come into town, purchase their goods, take the receipt for dynamite and pick it up at the powder house on their way out of town, (to avoid burning/blowing up the town). That dirt road is Camp Bird road....leading to several mine sites and 4WD road to Telluride over Imogene Pass, (The pass will not be open in early June...4th of July opening is the annual goal.)

Stay on Hwy, just after next big curve to the right will be the turn-off, (to left) for the NFS Amphitheater campground, (very small RV's/tents - Beautiful town overlook which all should visit). Next curve is a large turn-out with the signs and great place to photo the mtns. and town. Continue on, through the tunnel and take the next turn-out, (on right) at Bear Creek Falls. There is a fly-bridge there, walk out and see the volume of water going under Hwy 550. Opposite Bear Creek falls is another long water fall. The pyramid looking mountain is Mt. Abrams. Looking just to right of falls is the site of the old Toll Booth. Absolutely beautiful photo ops here....don't miss it.

Back on Hwy continue slowly as this is the area that might be the scariest for some. Have the passenger look across the canyon, up the mountain side a little and look for the "Antique Shop". (actually the old Neosho mine site.) Locals started hanging out clothes and put up a sign as a joke over 45 years ago. Visitor's come into Ouray and want to know where the road to the Antique shop is.....a lot of fun). As you continue on, the steep rock cliffs on your left are known as the Ruby Walls. Be careful, as Large vehicles/RV's move way past the centerline of the road. No guardrails. Do not drive over rocks that fall onto road...they are sharp and will cut your tires.

Next large curve and beautiful waterfall, (going under 550) has a turn-out to stop & take pix. The dirt trail on left, going up the hill is Mineral Creek, a 4WD trail that will lead to Engineer Pass, Lake City or Silverton. (Do Not take this off-road trail.) Continue on, through the Riverside snow slide tunnel, past the 2 sets of switch backs and once on top, the views of the Red Mountains and Crystal Lake. If you leave early, the lake will yield beautiful reflective photos of the mountains. Stone foundation opposite the lake is the site of an old 1930's ski lodge/resort. Ended operations in 1933, (burned).

Continue on south about a mile and you'll see the turn-off, (left) for 4WD road to Corkscrew Pass and Brown Mtn. Do not take this off-road trail. The huge rock pile are tailings from the Idarado mine, up the mountain.

Continue on up the mountain, past the 2nd set of switchbacks. Soon you'll see some wooden buildings on the right. These buildings were moved from the townsite of Eureka, (about 10 miles away, up the mountain on Hwy 550) in the early 1970s and located where you see them - for the Idarado mine operations. Just past the ore car trestle, (you see on the left) is a turn out to a really nice observation area, (recommended).

The Idarado was a huge complex. During WWII it made major contributions to the war effort, providing copper, lead, zinc, silver and some gold. They had no place to dump the tailings, so they piped it down the mountain side, (in wooden pipes). The tailings covered almost all of the old mining town of Ironton. There are a few remaining buildings at the Ironton town site. (The Idarado ended mining operations in 1979 and went through 20 years of environmental clean up.) The Idarado actually tunnels through the mountain rock and comes out in Telluride.

The tall skinny mine building you see across the Hwy, about 1/2 mile is the Yankee Girl mine site, a 1200 foot deep vertical mine. From the observation area you can see parts of the Red Mountain mining district. There was actually a railroad that came up from Silverton, through the Red Mountain town, town of Guston and turned around at the Corkscrew gulch turn table, then headed back....built in 1880's. Continue on Hwy to Red Mountain pass, starting down the mountain towards Silverton. Take advantage of the turn-outs to take photos. A huge sweeping curve the at the bottom of the steep descent is called the Chattanooga Loop.....hillside to the right, just past the curve is the site of the mining town of Chattanooga. Continue on, the swampy area you see on the right is called the Fen, great place to see moose in the fall - September.

Continue on the Silverton. Just after you through the major intersection, is the Visitor's center, (1st big building on right - and old mine operation building moved to current site) Recommended stop at visitor's center, (restrooms). Recommended places to eat are the Brown Bear and Handlebars. Silverton is an easy walk-around. The main town area covers 3 blocks on 2 parallel streets, (Greene & Empire). The Durango-Silverton train will start coming into Silverton around noonish, depending on the # of trains they send up each day. If you have a truck or SUV, (no mini-vans or sedans!)….I recommend you make the trip up to the Ghost Town called Animas Forks, (this will be a 2-3 hour trip). This trip leaves out of Silverton, going northeast, (get directions at Visitor's center). This is a fairly well maintained gravel road. Incredibly beautiful trip with lots of photo ops.

If you want to see a really good mine tour, I recommend the Old 100 Mine Tour. The road to the mine tour goes off to the right, towards Corkscrew gulch, (at the old town site of Eureka). Good road for all vehicles to the mine tour. If you have to choose, skip the tour and go to Animas Forks. Beautiful drive, lots of waterfalls and scenery on the way to Animas Forks ghost town at 11,000' elevation. A lot of mine buildings, cabins, houses and the jail remain.

This will be a pretty full but extremely fun scenic day. When you leave Silverton, head north back to Ouray on Hwy 550. Same road as you came in on, but different views....beautiful.

Once you get back to Ouray, head back to your RV, rest a little while, shower then head to downtown for taking in the sights and finding a place to eat, if you like. The restaurant at the RV park is very good and has a good reputation. Don't miss Mouse's chocolates on 1st night....you'll want to go there every evening.

Future posts will be shorter.....that's my goal anyway.
Think I'll need at least a week for your 3 day Trip, if day one is any indication.

---------------
Old 01-30-2019, 10:06 PM   #24

Ha-ha.....you can spend a life time in this area. I know, more like a novel than a post. Please forgive my enthusiasm. Did I mention I love this area????
(I did say you could cut & paste.) Thanks
Old 03-24-2019, 08:02 PM   #25

Base Camp - Ouray - (Day 2 of 3) - Recommendations

I apologize for the long delay in following through with my commitment to Traveldawg, (& others)….I've been thinking my long winded Day 1 post kinda killed the thread. This post will be much shorter and sentences choppier so as to cram as much info as possible. If anyone needs more info, ask away.

On day 2, (a much easier day):

-north on Hwy 550 to Ridgway, left on Hwy 62 at traffic light. The park in middle of town is where the hanging scene in the original "True Grit" movie was filmed. About 5 miles out of town, past the cemetery you'll see the beginning of split rail fencing on left that goes all the way up to the Dallas Divide. This is Ralph Lauren's ranch, (quite a success story for a guy who started by selling suit ties out of his briefcase & trunk of his car). The Tee-Pees you see are actually guest quarters for ranch guests. Very large turn-out on left to take pictures of Mount Sneffels range. On to Dallas Divide, (the pass) look for elk on left. About 1-1/2 miles from the pass going downhill, look for sign that points out Last Dollar Road, to the left. Turn left, slow down and enjoy the scenery. (This is an easy 2 wheel drive road if you follow my recommendation and head towards the town of Sawpit.) Beaver dams on left, through the aspens and the Huge Last Dollar Ranch on left. Great place to take pix. Lots of elk bunching up around the area, both left and right of the road....sometimes hundreds, (in early June - waiting to move up into the mountains). Lots of very large ranches along the way. As the road starts to go down a hill, curve to the right, look for the old, abandoned farm house with split rail fencing, right side of road. This is the farm house used in the opening and closing scenes of the movie True Grit. About 1-1/2 to 2 miles past the old farmhouse take the road to the RIGHT at the Y-intersection.....going to Sawpit. DO NOT take the road to left -down the hill to Last Dollar Road and Telluride. It gets very muddy through the aspens and you will get stuck. OK if you are with another vehicle and are prepared, not good if you're alone. Onto Sawpit, very scenic along the way -left on the paved highway to Telluride.

You can go into Telluride and park or go up hill to Mountain Village and park there. The tram is free, runs continuously.....beautiful views. In Telluride, don't miss Telluride Bakery, historic downtown walk/shopping, beautiful city park. If you park in town, take you vehicle up to the Bridal Veil falls.
Hwy 145 past Mountain Village, Ames power station, (world's first commercial Alternating Current power plant - built by Westinghouse & still generating). Beautiful scenery all along the way.
Head back to Ouray when you feel like it. True Grit café in Ridgway has been good place to eat, (Kate's place for breakfast).

Still energetic? Highly recommend the Ouray Perimeter Trail hike, (ask visitor's center). Not a lot of elevation change, Cascade Falls along the trail will be roaring. The trail starts/ends at visitors center.
Evening walk downtown Ouray, don't miss another opportunity to hit up Mouse's chocolates.

Have fun, be safe!
Old 03-24-2019, 08:28 PM   #26

Couple of Questions;

Will you talk a bit about Dunton - History and today?

Same with Trout Lake - Has to have a story or two

Will Lake City get any Love?

Maybe a little insight on the best Aspen Drives late in September in the San Juan's - Some more that are like this - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg

Last - some real direction on all the 4x4 trails - maps - rating - recommendations.

You are not alone in your Love of the San Juan's.

Thanks for sharing your Knowledge - hopefully you will put this together in such a way we can link it so others as they ask the question can use it as a reference.

Love it, .
Old 03-24-2019, 09:51 PM   #27

Sure! I can do that...….BUT......trying to be sensitive to the Original Post by Traveldawg, I was focusing on his route up towards Denver/beyond. (I'm not sure if I've convinced him to spend 3 days in Ouray....yet.)

I did not include off-road trails, as that is an entirely different experience, hiking and Jeeping is absolutely the best way to experience the San Juans. It allows one to visit old mine sites, ghost towns, incredible 100 mile views, wildlife and so on. All 4X4 trails in the area are doable in a stock 4WD, (NOT AWD) vehicle, with proper cut resistant tires and off roading gear. (Traveldawg has a F350 TV.....don't want him getting stuck on a mountain Jeep trail.)

As an example/teaser - Camp Bird road up to Yankee Boy Basin - Tom Walsh came to the San Juans, just after the 1893 silver crash and hiked around the area. He found miners who were virtually starving and unable to sell their silver. He noticed gold ore in their mine tailings and started buying up claims. He made his 1st Million dollars off the tailings left by the silver miners. The Camp Bird Mine Complex, (upper and lower) was a HUGE operation and operated, (by different owners) for almost 90 years. Upper and Lower mines are connected by an 11,000'+ tunnel, (so the Upper Camp Bird could be mined year 'round). Tom Walsh purchased the Hope Diamond, (now in Smithsonian) for his daughter. (She wrote a book titled, "Daddy Struck It Rich".) 5 active avalanches made mining Camp Bird very difficult and dangerous.
It closed in 1988 and equipment was shipped to mines in Mongolia. 7 years ago, a group started upgrading the Lower Camp Bird to start mining again, but it fizzled out, (possible invester scam?).

Just up Camp Bird road is the Revenue mine. Investors put in over 3 million $ - in 2012 to start that operation up again. It never mined any ore. (One miner was killed.) You can google something like, "2012 Revenue Mine/Star Mining Fatality" and read the official report. The company was called Star Mining.
And the stories go on and on.
Continuing on, up Camp Bird Road is Yankee Boy Basin. (The twin falls there are supposed to be the ones pasted on Coors Beer cans.)

I don't want to bore everyone with details/TMI.....or wander too far from OP.

There is so much to see and do in this area.
Would it be better to stay on topic here - and start posting to another/new thread?? Busskipper, if you start one, I'll try and contribute...….more to the tune of links and suggested reference materials, (and not so many details).
Old 03-24-2019, 10:40 PM   #28

We have been in this area a couple times on our motorcycles and we fully intend to return in a couple years after retired so we can take in the beauty at a more relaxed pace. Thank you for all of your experienced knowledge. It is really a place full of beautiful scenery and history.
Dave