Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Monticello - Gunnison - Ouray - Leadville.

Looking for routing suggestions from Monticello, UT area to Montrose/Gunnison, then to Ouray; then to Leadville and finally to Denver.

Looks like:
Monticello to Ouray - US491, CO141, CO145, CO62, US550
Mostly I am not sure about the best way to Ouray from the Monticello area.
I'm ok with mountains & passes, just don't want any surprises.

Ouray to Montrose/Gunnison - US550 (looks pretty straight forward)

Gunnison to Leadville - US50, US285, US24 (another straight forward route)

Leadville to Denver - US24 or CO91 to I-70? (just not sure which way to go)

I may start from Bluff, CO or Blanding, CO but am NOT going to take 550 from Durango to Ouray (been-there-done-that).

oh - do I need reservations at these places in early June??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2018, 04:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
Looking for routing suggestions from Monticello, UT area to Montrose/Gunnison, then to Ouray; then to Leadville and finally to Denver.

Looks like:

I may start from Bluff, CO or Blanding, CO but am NOT going to take 550 from Durango to Ouray (been-there-done-that).

Pretty much any route you take from Monticello to Ouray is going to be magnificent. Your chosen routing will be the least severe climbing, so that's good. There are two hot springs on your route that you should check out, especially Orvis Hot Springs, in Ridgway. I think they allow camping in their parking lot.

Then to Montrose / Gunnison, another beautiful drive, and then on to Leadville. There are a few hot springs near Buena Vista, which is on your way to Leadville. Lots to see in Leadville. Leadville to Denver there is really only one option: 91 to I-70. I-70 will be ugly. Try not to be on that section headed east from 6 to 9 a.m. or from noon to 6 p.m. on a Sunday during winter. Use low gears and slow speed when coming down into Denver. I have seen trucks on fire from hot brakes.
happy cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:21 AM   #3

Quote:

Looks like:

Having driven all around these areas - No Wrong Choices!

BUT - look over this option with just a few more miles opens up a couple places we love - https://binged.it/2R2juau - Trout Lake - Dunton - Telluride - last Dollar Ranch, to name a few.

Crested Butte and the just finished paved road - Cottonwood Pass - into Buena Vista might be an Adventure, I've only done it when it was Gravel.

Rt 91 is the way to Denver from Leadville - BUT - might look at RT 24 from Leadville past Camp Hale over the Green Bridge at Red Cliff, through Minturn to I-70 allowing you to experience Vail and Vail Pass, some say No, but we Love the Drive.

Don't forget Independence Pass in the TV or Toad to Aspen (Maroon Bells) just a Beautiful drive with Devils Punch Bowl if you like COLD water.

I-70 to Denver get off at left side exit 244 to RT 6 along Clear Creek into Golden - avoids the long downhill drive into Denver and is just Beautiful (Saves your Brakes)

One last suggestion - I'd make every effort to get to Lake City - Either on Paved RT 149 or over from Silverton on the Alpine Loop and Gravel roads

Reservations - Likely - especially on Weekends - generally school is out on Memorial day in Colorado so CG's start to Fill - especially the State Parks - Lot's of spots to Boondock and as it is cool at night no need for A/C so electric is optional

Just a few Images of the area that you might enjoy - https://www.flickr.com/photos/michae...n/photostream/

Best of Luck and let us know what you decide - maybe even a picture or two after the trip

Hope this helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:59 AM   #4

Monticello - Gunnison - Ouray - Leadville.

I’ll Chime in with some Gunny info. We love the KOA in Gunny. Very nice camping feel as you park on grass. We have spent a few Summers there. Walk to the river, close to town. Also, Crested Butte up the road has aRV park. Not full hook ups, but water and electric and I think they have a dump. you can bike to the lovely town of CB. Love it there. Let me know if you want a little more info on the area.
Do not leave the area without eating at the Sherpa Cafe in Gunny.
J
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:26 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Thanks everyone. So now I know the roads are OK.

But this time I plan to stay 3 nights in the Cimarron hopefully at Black Canyon RV Park (the popular hikes for the Gunnison NP seem to close by there);I'll stay 3 nights in Ouray (maybe the KOA); and that leaves 2 nights for Leadville. But I think I'll be staying closer to Buena Vista.

I have to get to Denver for June 7th and I'll be coming from 6 weeks in S and SE Utah. I've been on the San Juan loop (Cortex, Durango, Telluride, etc.) but missed Gunnison the last time out that way. I think this route will give me a working point of view for where to spend more time the next time out that way.

In Sept/Oct I'll be back to Colorado either in RMNP or Brekenridge hanging out for as long as the weather allows before heading home so I'll have a chance to explore more south of I-70.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:43 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
What if I stay in Buena Vista, CO and then take US285 to CO470 to get Denver? Any problems places there. I'm OK with mountain driving and it doesn't look like too long a trip.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #7

Quote:
What if I stay in Buena Vista, CO and then take US285 to CO470 to get Denver? Any problems places there. I'm OK with mountain driving and it doesn't look like too long a trip.
Easy drive, Will save you 10 + minutes, but IMHO just Boring - Avoid the toll road 470 no matter which route you take - big dollar amount and they will mail you the Bill - $$$$$ - Red Rocks is the only interesting thing on this route.

Out of Buena Vista I'd recommend this route - https://binged.it/2C8N1Ff - Gets you through Leadville - on RT 91 on the backside of Breck beautiful Mountains - then Takes you through the Tunnel with a Left hand Exit onto RT 6 along Clear Creek into Golden - RT 58 on to I-70.

I've driven them Both - but could only do RT 285 once (have done RT 91 more times than I have fingers and toes) before I reminded myself that I love to Drive in Colorado Because of the Mountains and the Views.

JMHO,
Old 01-08-2019, 10:53 PM   #8

I've lived in S.W. Colorado go 30+ years and I'm very familiar with all roads mentioned.
Some of the suggestions posted, I agree with....several I do not.
If
Rock-N-Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:00 PM   #9

Traveldawg, if you'd like to PM me, I'd be glad help you with your questions. I don't want to make a long post here, or risk offending any previous poster.
(Reason I've been on here 11 years and have such low post count....don't need the drama.)
Old 01-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to everyone who has added comments to this thread. We are planning a trip from southern CA to Colorado in mid/late September so we can see Ouray and Silverton etc. This thread seems helpful. Let us know if there is anything else you consider a "must see." Thanks again.
Simi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:04 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Roll View Post
I've lived in S.W. Colorado go 30+ years and I'm very familiar with all roads mentioned.
Some of the suggestions posted, I agree with....several I do not.
If
sent you a PM (I hope it got sent).
Old 01-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #12

OK, after reading Simi98's post, I will post some recommendations so all can view and consider. I do not claim to be a know-it-all, I'll just share some of the incredible things for you to think about experiencing.
It is imperative that you start drinking, (and continue through your stay) a lot more water than you normally do on your way to the San Juans - to help prevent altitude sickness....that can ruin your experience. Take several bottles of water with you on your day trips. Altitude sickness is serious - don't take it lightly.
Please note: In Colorado - wherever you go, whatever route you take, you will experience travel delays due to road construction....it's just a way of life because the widow of opportunity, time wise is very narrow.
My recommendation is to NOT go on Hwy 550 from Durango north to Ouray with a rig. Yes, it can be done - but very hard on your equipment and your nerves. It is a 2 hour drive to go the 74 miles.....and that' in a car/truck. Yes, some will say they did it....I just don't recommend it.
For Traveldawg - Hwy491 from Monticello, to CO Hwy 184 East through Delores, then on to Hwy 145 north to Telluride are all good roads and recommended. Since you are staying in Ouray for a few days, (3 days - absolute minimum)….I'll provide some recommendations for this area a little later, (another post).
Back to Hwy 145......Lizard Head Pass is a nice stop to take in the views.....or just slow down a little.
I recommend you do not go into Telluride at this time. It is NOT RV friendly- traffic or parking=wise. Better in a tow vehicle/toad. Caution - when you start the decent from Mountain Village to Telluride the descent is deceptively steep and long. Take your time and control your speed. At the round-a-bout go left, (2nd Exit) towards Sawpit and Placerville. Right on Hwy 62 towards Ridgway. About a mile before you get to Dallas Divide, (the pass) you will see split rail fencing on the right. This is the beginning of Ralph Lauren's ranch, (it goes on for miles). The tallest mountain is Mt. Sneffels - over 14,000 feet. There will be lots of mountain snow remaining in June. About 1-1/2 miles from Dallas Divide, on your right will be a huge turn out, (1/2 acre +) and parking area. It's a great place to take in the views and take a lunch break. Continue on to Ridgway. As you continue on downhill, your co-pilot can look out to the right for the Tee-Pees, by the small lake on the Lauren ranch. (These are actually accommodations for his guests....like little apartments inside.)This is the area where John Wayne,s True Grit was filmed, (Ridgeway, the Cimmarons, Ouray, Silverton). The park in the center of town is where the hanging scene for the movie was filmed. Good place to eat there is the True Grit Café, on west side of the square. It's only 10 miles from Ouray, so you all can come back in your tow vehicle or toad. Better pricing for fuel is at the Conoco - it will be about 20-30 cents/gallon higher in Ouray.

Please note - Orvis Hot Springs is a "clothing optional" place...not recommended. There is very little room, if any for RV parking.

I recommend you consider staying at Ouray RV Park in Ouray and use the all new hot springs in town. All sites are 30' wide and can accommodate any size rig. No full-time residents there. You can walk to town along the river walk. Very friendly, on site owners and the restaurant in the park is run by a local, ("Bombie") that is very good. You do not need to pay more for the river side spots if you don't want to. Excellent/Clean laundromat if you need one.
You need to make reservations at any Ouray/Silverton RV park you choose - as soon as possible. The 3rd week on may already be booked solid. Contact the visitor's center, (ouraycolorado.com) for a visitor's guide and a link the web cam, overlooking the town from the blow out, (old volcano type thing). You can do the same for Telluride, Ridgway and Silverton. There will be waterfalls almost everywhere you go at this time.
Keep in mind, in this area -June is the hottest month of the year. It is hot and dry until mid-July, when the monsoons start. Cool mornings and evenings and only really hot for about 4-6 hours.

Sorry for the long post, I seem to kind of re-live our first visits while typing this. There is just so much to see and do in this area.
(I'll go on to Chapter 2 in another post.)
Old 01-14-2019, 09:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Roll View Post
OK, after reading Simi98's post, I will post some recommendations so all can view and consider. I do not claim to be a know-it-all, I'll just share some of the incredible things for you to think about experiencing.
It is imperative that you start drinking, (and continue through your stay) a lot more water than you normally do on your way to the San Juans - to help prevent altitude sickness....that can ruin your experience. Take several bottles of water with you on your day trips. Altitude sickness is serious - don't take it lightly.
Please note: In Colorado - wherever you go, whatever route you take, you will experience travel delays due to road construction....it's just a way of life because the widow of opportunity, time wise is very narrow.
My recommendation is to NOT go on Hwy 550 from Durango north to Ouray with a rig. Yes, it can be done - but very hard on your equipment and your nerves. It is a 2 hour drive to go the 74 miles.....and that' in a car/truck. Yes, some will say they did it....I just don't recommend it.
For Traveldawg - Hwy491 from Monticello, to CO Hwy 184 East through Delores, then on to Hwy 145 north to Telluride are all good roads and recommended. Since you are staying in Ouray for a few days, (3 days - absolute minimum)….I'll provide some recommendations for this area a little later, (another post).
Back to Hwy 145......Lizard Head Pass is a nice stop to take in the views.....or just slow down a little.
I recommend you do not go into Telluride at this time. It is NOT RV friendly- traffic or parking=wise. Better in a tow vehicle/toad. Caution - when you start the decent from Mountain Village to Telluride the descent is deceptively steep and long. Take your time and control your speed. At the round-a-bout go left, (2nd Exit) towards Sawpit and Placerville. Right on Hwy 62 towards Ridgway. About a mile before you get to Dallas Divide, (the pass) you will see split rail fencing on the right. This is the beginning of Ralph Lauren's ranch, (it goes on for miles). The tallest mountain is Mt. Sneffels - over 14,000 feet. There will be lots of mountain snow remaining in June. About 1-1/2 miles from Dallas Divide, on your right will be a huge turn out, (1/2 acre +) and parking area. It's a great place to take in the views and take a lunch break. Continue on to Ridgway. As you continue on downhill, your co-pilot can look out to the right for the Tee-Pees, by the small lake on the Lauren ranch. (These are actually accommodations for his guests....like little apartments inside.)This is the area where John Wayne,s True Grit was filmed, (Ridgeway, the Cimmarons, Ouray, Silverton). The park in the center of town is where the hanging scene for the movie was filmed. Good place to eat there is the True Grit Café, on west side of the square. It's only 10 miles from Ouray, so you all can come back in your tow vehicle or toad. Better pricing for fuel is at the Conoco - it will be about 20-30 cents/gallon higher in Ouray.

Please note - Orvis Hot Springs is a "clothing optional" place...not recommended. There is very little room, if any for RV parking.

I recommend you consider staying at Ouray RV Park in Ouray and use the all new hot springs in town. All sites are 30' wide and can accommodate any size rig. No full-time residents there. You can walk to town along the river walk. Very friendly, on site owners and the restaurant in the park is run by a local, ("Bombie") that is very good. You do not need to pay more for the river side spots if you don't want to. Excellent/Clean laundromat if you need one.
You need to make reservations at any Ouray/Silverton RV park you choose - as soon as possible. The 3rd week on may already be booked solid. Contact the visitor's center, (ouraycolorado.com) for a visitor's guide and a link the web cam, overlooking the town from the blow out, (old volcano type thing). You can do the same for Telluride, Ridgway and Silverton. There will be waterfalls almost everywhere you go at this time.
Keep in mind, in this area -June is the hottest month of the year. It is hot and dry until mid-July, when the monsoons start. Cool mornings and evenings and only really hot for about 4-6 hours.

Sorry for the long post, I seem to kind of re-live our first visits while typing this. There is just so much to see and do in this area.
(I'll go on to Chapter 2 in another post.)
Great Post - this is one that if you are going to the San Juan's you will want to BookMark it.

Can't wait for Chapters Two and Beyond.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:01 PM   #14

For additional info on routes and campgrounds, as well as photos of some not-to-miss sights in the San Juans, see my Colorado RV camping blog HERE.. It's based on my 56 years of working and playing in every part of Colorado while living, mostly, in the Denver area.