Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Done with ATL after 50 years of risking it

Lived in and around Atlanta for nearly 50 years now. Traffic and driving is worse every year. About 3 weeks ago I was on the inner loop of 285 on the west side approaching I-20 headed up to Cumming,I was in the second lane from the right lane. Semi Truck 2 cars up ahead decided for some reason to come to a complete stop from 65 mph- never could ascertain why but it really doesn't make a difference.

It was rather heavy traffic yet all lanes had been moving at or above the posted speed limit and we observed the usual aggressive ATL driving style around us. Few were maintaining safe intervals. I was 2 cars back and managed to stop without hitting anyone when the semi truck 2 cars up stopped. The car ahead rear ended the car immediately behind the semi. I managed to stop , but the gal behind me kept coming and ate my rear end up. Totaled her car. Got my rear tailgate and bumper on the pickup, but our truck seemed to hold up well with limited damage.

No injuries but unless I have to (I did in this case because of family medical emergency) I avoid ATL interstates at all costs. Life is too short and its not worth the risk. Northbound I use US27/GA 53 to get I-75 at Calhoun as my ATL bypass.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Being new to this state I have had occasion to ask our SO a question about the speed limit on the main side street near us. They didn't know. Then asked an ADA if I could put down our aging dog myself when the time comes. (A felony to kill or harm dogs here). Hemmed and hawed, suggested I contact an attorney.

But they magically know the law when they decide you're breaking it.
shooting, stabbing, choking your dog is or should be punishable by law anywhere. having your vet do the humane thing is not. if you asked me if it was legal to "put down our aging dog" i would assume you meant without the assistance of a vet. beyond that a police officer cannot possibly know every law on the books. an officer on speed enforcement will know.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
...No injuries but unless I have to (I did in this case because of family medical emergency) I avoid ATL interstates at all costs. Life is too short and its not worth the risk. Northbound I use US27/GA 53 to get I-75 at Calhoun as my ATL bypass.
we abandoned Hot-Lanta a lonnnnnng time ago when we travel between Chicago and SW Florida. instead we stay on I-65 to Montgomery and take US231 thru Dothan to I-10. on paper it's about 45-min longer but it's a LOT less stressful.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:09 PM   #46

Yes you can.
TinkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:16 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkMan View Post
Yes you can.
"yes you can" what?

Who are you replying to?

The quote function does work.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
...but the Feds are not unreasonable....
This is contrary to my every interaction with the Federal government in the past 30+ years.
simssj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #49

"can" and "legally" are likely two different things. we all can and do things that we legally cannot. an LEO buddy of mine once claimed he could follow behind pretty much any motorist for just a couple of miles and observe a violation. speed, failure to come to a *complete* stop, no turn signal, drifting over the lane markers, etc.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #50

I have lived in Atl and driven my motorhome through, with no problem.
Not sure what your driving comfort is in 8 lanes of traffic but if you can go through at night you might be happier. Traffic is awful all day long, even outside of hours listed in other responses.
Rollergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #51

I’ve driven my motor home thru Atlanta 5 times so far, the 3 I rode the HOV lane as there are two of us in the home. Two times there was Atlanta PD there with me.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
The standard Federal mandated lane width for Interstates is 12 feet. HOWEVER, states can request exceptions if they can show why it is not feasible. There are many Federal requirements such as steepness of grades curvatures, guardrail placements and interchange placements that sometimes are just not practicable or possible for some reason, and exceptions can be granted. There are a lot of hoops to jump through, but the Feds are not unreasonable.

I don't know what the lane widths are in Atlanta, but I swear the times I have gone through, the lanes feel like they are about 6 inches narrower than my coach!!! Kind of like when you approach some toll booths. My wife always says "they want you to fit through there???"
Atlanta narrowed all the lanes to add the HOV lane before the 96 Olympics.
samsonsdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #53

We have an E450-based Thor Vegas. We not only drive through it, we drive in the HOV lane when necessary, which can save IMMENSE time. The motorhome is NOT a truck, it is NOT a commercial vehicle. It is a really big van on a really HD pickup truck frame (at least my E450-based MH is). I have not even had a honk or an annoying gesture by anyone, because we are keeping pace with traffic and we meet the requirements for the HOV as posted.

When we move to our larger F53-based MH next year, I'm pretty sure I won't be doing this; not quite as spry. But, my bet would be, it's still legal.
TimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
I live in Atlanta, if you plan on blasting through here at 110 in your motorhome please shoot me a private message with date and time as i'd love to watch that!!!
x2. Just give me about 3 hours heads up. Gotta drive up from southern GA.
xyzabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #55

Take the beltway! Atlanta is the worse traffic in the US.
StageCoachDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitcharoo View Post
Since semi trucks can not be driven thru downtown Atlanta on I-75, they have to take the outer belt around Atlanta, I was wondering if the same rules apply to motor homes. I spoke with the Customer Service Department of the Atlanta Police Department and asked if a motor home could be driven thru downtown Atlanta on I-75. i knew I was in trouble when the person I posed the question to didn't know what a motorhome was. This person suggested I call the Georgia State Patrol. I called them and posed the same question. They didn't know either. They suggested I call the Department of Transportation. I called them and asked the same question. The person I talked to didn't know either but said they would find out. I was put on hold and when the person came back on the line they had forgotten what the specifics of the questions was but did remember it was something about a mobile home. I repeated the question and said it was a motor home, not a mobile home. They put me on hold again and when they came back on the line I was told they were pretty sure a motor home can be driven thru Atlanta on I-75.

Not wanting to get a ticket for being pretty sure I can drive a motor home thru downtown Atlanta on I-75 does anyone know for sure?
This is typical of government at work or should we really say not working. This is just a prime example of the reason we need less government in this entire country !!! I can count on one hand the times government ever helped me and I am even a Veteran.
llzirv2llz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes, tow