Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2022, 03:38 PM   #15

What area of Florida r u moving too? I ask because the last 10 years or so have really changed things. Just curious on where you are going. I'm in Key Largo...
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2022, 05:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I'd recommend just taking I-5 or 99 south to Bakersfield; pick up 58 east to Barstow then 247 to Yucca Valley to Palm Springs and weave your way to I-10 east.... not a scenic route, for sure and you don't have to get into the LA mess.
The OP specified avoiding "Cali as much as possible," not just Los Angeles. Maybe we can get some clarification.

Also, to the OP, since you're from the vicinity you might already be familiar with Portland, but I'm not a fan of heights and I really don't like going over the bridge on I-205 over the Columbia River there. I feel very exposed, and the vicious crosswind doesn't help. Fortunately, it's not all that long, but it could be something to be aware of.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 10:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
The OP specified avoiding "Cali as much as possible," not just Los Angeles. Maybe we can get some clarification.

Also, to the OP, since you're from the vicinity you might already be familiar with Portland, but I'm not a fan of heights and I really don't like going over the bridge on I-205 over the Columbia River there. I feel very exposed, and the vicious crosswind doesn't help. Fortunately, it's not all that long, but it could be something to be aware of.
Yes, he needs to clarify why not California. From his description of what he doesn't like I didn't think he'd like the other suggestions. There are steep hills which he didn't want.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 03:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
What area of Florida r u moving too? I ask because the last 10 years or so have really changed things. Just curious on where you are going. I'm in Key Largo...

We are looking around the Jacksonville area.
Quinn Varos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 03:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post

California is a sees pool and I would rather avoid going through it as much as possible. Not to mention, if I went all the way down Cali, it would add time to my travel. The soon and lowest I get through the Rockies, the better for me.
Old 03-15-2022, 03:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Yes, he needs to clarify why not California. From his description of what he doesn't like I didn't think he'd like the other suggestions. There are steep hills which he didn't want.
No I do not like steep hills. If I can avoid them, I would like to try, but if not then I will have to bear it. I just want to lowest points possible where I do not feel like I am going to drop over an edge. Height would not be an issues if it is a gradual incline and a gradual decline with no drop offs on either side.
Old 03-15-2022, 04:05 AM   #21

Ponte Vedra just South of Jacksonville is an upscale community you may want to consider in your seach of a new home.

Don't forget to stop at the border and get your passports stamped when you leave the Country of California [emoji6]
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 08:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn Varos View Post
No I do not like steep hills. If I can avoid them, I would like to try, but if not then I will have to bear it. I just want to lowest points possible where I do not feel like I am going to drop over an edge. Height would not be an issues if it is a gradual incline and a gradual decline with no drop offs on either side.
I 84 to I 80. The climb out of Pnedelton is just long.
Tridot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Then just stick to interstates. No drop-offs on them. Plenty of room. They all have gradual climbs and descents. It's just that some are much longer or steeper than others.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toribk View Post
Ponte Vedra just South of Jacksonville is an upscale community you may want to consider in your seach of a new home.

Don't forget to stop at the border and get your passports stamped when you leave the Country of California [emoji6]
We are looking all over the place. It just depends on how much the house is and if it has what we want.
Old 03-19-2022, 02:26 PM   #25

Hey Gang. I want to thank you all for the advice on how to avoid CA. I have decided to bit the bullet and head down I-5 to get either I-40 or I-10. I figure it is the best way to stay out of the mountains. Again thanks for all the help it trying to accommodate me on which way to go.
Old 03-19-2022, 10:05 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
I know you have decided to travel I-5 to I-40 or I-10, but just like you said this is more miles. Reno is further west than LA. For me I like to travel secondary roads rather than Interstates.

Me I would travel I-5 to just south of Eugene, OR and take OR 58 to US 97 then from Klamath Falls, OR head to Reno and Las Vegas.

I-5 has 4 passes between Roseburg and Medford then Siskiyou summit on the CA/OR border. OR 58 is a good road trucks travelling south use it if they do not have to go to Medford. This will save you 1.50 or more a gallon on fuel charged in CA.

Good luck with your move and travel which ever way you go.
paisleydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 04:38 AM   #27
YC1

As a born and raised Kalifornian I would go straight down and exit to the East as you have planned.

You may get a bit nervous crossing Shasta Lake far above what little water is in the lake looking over the edges of the bridge but just slow down and take your time. Don't let anyone rush you.

Use your engine and transmission versus your brakes to really control your speeds.

Fuel prices are likely through the roof so check those issues and fill where you can find it best.

Florida is absolutely exploding with population growth. The humidity in the Summer is rough and you will be living under AC all day and night. Right now the Spring is on and off stunningly beautiful.

If you live near any metro center the traffic is getting like LA unfortunately.

Florida is beautiful though and we have been here for almost ten years. Left Northern Calif. Born and raised there.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:29 PM   #28

Quote:
California is a sees pool and I would rather avoid going through it as much as possible. Not to mention, if I went all the way down Cali, it would add time to my travel. The soon and lowest I get through the Rockies, the better for me.
I don’t think the people of Northern California would agree with you about it being a Cess Pool.
Highway 20 in Oregon from I-5 to Bend is NOT fun! It’s a two lane road with a lot of 20 mph curves and logging trucks. I drove it last summer and there is very little room for error. Above Sweet Home there is a 54 foot length restriction because of some very sharp curves. There are some straight sections I’ll admit but, if you are afraid of mountain driving this not the road for you.

No matter what route you take out of Washington you are going to go up and down mountain grades. I’ve driven Highway’s 20, 2, I-90, I-5 out of Seattle and they all go up and down.
I’m currently in St. Augustine , FL. We drove I-5 south picked up Highway 58 thru Bakersfield over Tehachapi Pass thru Mojave turned right onto 395 to I-15 over Cajon Pass I-210 to I-10 all the way to our current location. Cajon Pass was the last serious pass on the trip. After that you just get to deal with the crazy weather along the I-10 corridor.
bass player is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida