Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2022, 07:59 AM   #1

Moving From Washington State to Florida

As the title suggest, I am moving cross country again. This time in something much larger (32' MH) than when we moved the first time (1997 F150 with a 6x12 U-Haul trailer). Only difference this time is I would like to avoid having to go through the mountain as much as possible. The original idea was to go down I-5 through Oregon and California and get down to I-10 going east, but I would also like to avoid Cali as much as possible as well. Anyone have any suggestion on a good route to get around all that? Thanks if you do.
Quinn Varos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2022, 08:14 AM   #2

West coast to east coast

Your going to have to go through the mountains.
Gooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooma View Post
Your going to have to go through the mountains.

I do realize that but I want to go trough the lowest point possible and does not have a drop off on one or both side. I have issues with heights and that even extends to roads/mountain passes. You should have seen me going through Montana and Idaho. Living where i do now and my current job, I have to go through Stevens and Snoqualmie passes and if I had to choose which one I go through, Snoqualmie would win every time due to no drop-off on either side.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:38 AM   #4

Get one of the truckers mountain guides. These list all grades and amount of slope. https://mountaindirectory.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn Varos View Post
As the title suggest, I am moving cross country again. This time in something much larger (32' MH) than when we moved the first time (1997 F150 with a 6x12 U-Haul trailer). Only difference this time is I would like to avoid having to go through the mountain as much as possible. The original idea was to go down I-5 through Oregon and California and get down to I-10 going east, but I would also like to avoid Cali as much as possible as well. Anyone have any suggestion on a good route to get around all that? Thanks if you do.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:06 AM   #5

If you want to avoid California, then your only option are to cross the Cascades either in Washington, or Oregon. If you come down I5, you can cut over to Bend, Or by Salem on Hwy 20, to US97 South to below LaPine and take Hwy 31 to Reno, then onto US 50 to Fernley, Nv and pick up US 95 south to Las Vegas to I 10. You will be going through the Santiam Pass, but it is not bad and the road is good. There will be another climb up west of Sisters, but again, good road, and lots of passing lanes for others to get by you. From there on, its realtiviely flat driving and a whole bunch of nothing from Fernely to Vegas.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
If you want to avoid California, then your only option are to cross the Cascades either in Washington, or Oregon. If you come down I5, you can cut over to Bend, Or by Salem on Hwy 20, to US97 South to below LaPine and take Hwy 31 to Reno, then onto US 50 to Fernley, Nv and pick up US 95 south to Las Vegas to I 10. You will be going through the Santiam Pass, but it is not bad and the road is good. There will be another climb up west of Sisters, but again, good road, and lots of passing lanes for others to get by you. From there on, its realtiviely flat driving and a whole bunch of nothing from Fernely to Vegas.
This seem like a good way. Hopefully the grades are not bad and no drop offs on either side of the road. I do not want to white knuckle the steering wheel.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:44 AM   #7

What's wrong with I 5 to I 84 to I 80 to 1 25 to I 40 to I 22 to I 20 to I 75 ? That is not the way I would go but it is Interstate all the way.
Tridot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 01:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridot View Post
What's wrong with I 5 to I 84 to I 80 to 1 25 to I 40 to I 22 to I 20 to I 75 ? That is not the way I would go but it is Interstate all the way.
I think the suggestion of an all-interstate route to someone avoiding steep grades and scary dropoffs is a sound one.

But how about avoiding Raton Pass on I-25 south of Denver? He could instead continue east on I-80 in Cheyenne, to St. Louis. Or go south on I-25 in Cheyenne to Denver, and then take I-70 west from Denver to St. Louis.

Actually, I might prefer the northern route, because you avoid Denver, where your options are to take the expensive toll road around, or go through town, which is always a headache traffic-wise unless you hit it just right.

This route would also be all interstate, and by my calculations about 300 miles shorter than the proposed route squirreling through Oregon on two-lane highways.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:50 PM   #9

Eastbound on I-84 in Oregon east of Pendleton has a steep 12-mile climb (Cabbage Hill, Emigrant Hill, Deadman's Pass, Meacham Summit)

I'd recommend just taking I-5 or 99 south to Bakersfield; pick up 58 east to Barstow then 247 to Yucca Valley to Palm Springs and weave your way to I-10 east.... not a scenic route, for sure and you don't have to get into the LA mess. Probably longer but other routes take you over some hills (mtns.).

What time of year are you going? For California we love Hwy 395 instead of I-5.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:09 PM   #10

The descent into Raton is not real bad but, downhill is sometimes tricky. Continuing on I 80 is a good way. The climb out of Pendelton while long, has lots of lanes and there are no drop offs.
Tridot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 04:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Eastbound on I-84 in Oregon east of Pendleton has a steep 12-mile climb (Cabbage Hill, Emigrant Hill, Deadman's Pass, Meacham Summit)

I'd recommend just taking I-5 or 99 south to Bakersfield; pick up 58 east to Barstow then 247 to Yucca Valley to Palm Springs and weave your way to I-10 east.... not a scenic route, for sure and you don't have to get into the LA mess. Probably longer but other routes take you over some hills (mtns.).

What time of year are you going? For California we love Hwy 395 instead of I-5.
The trip begins the first week of April. with plans to be there around the 14th, with maybe 1 or 2 stops along the way.
Old 03-12-2022, 06:13 AM   #12

Florida is full.
Maybe Northern California? (No mountains to go through…)
;-)
Dan_Frisbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 10:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Frisbie View Post
Florida is full.
Maybe Northern California? (No mountains to go through…)
;-)

Sorry, family has voted. Florida it is.
Old 03-12-2022, 02:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn Varos View Post
Sorry, family has voted. Florida it is.
Dan_Frisbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida