Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2016, 04:25 PM   #29

I am using RVParky, it is a website where you can plan your trip. Create an account, click on Create A Trip and you get something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trip map.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	120259   Click image for larger version

Name:	tripcloseup.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	120261  

scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Denis - Thanks for the info sharing.

With BaseCamp, can you adjust speeds up/down? Plan start/stop and say a 20 min break every 4 hours, and add flexibility for end of day range? Can you provide preferred roads?

These are all features I grew accustomed too and found valuable with S&T.

TIA,
Smitty
"can you adjust speeds up/down?" Yes

"Plan start/stop and say a 20 min break every 4 hours, and add flexibility for end of day range?". I do not plan that way but you can probably do that.

"Can you provide preferred roads?" I do not know what you want here...
Old 03-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
All Greek to me. BaseCamp gives me a headache and Google Earth takes me to my address but then what? If you will post some directions for establishing and editing routs I would be greatly appreciative. My trips are often 400 or 500 miles. I like to plot rest areas, fuel stops and overnight spots. One trip I have planed in S&T is almost 1900 miles with 11 stops. I can't find another program that gives me the latitude S&T does.

Rick Y
BaceCamp gave me a headache too until I forced myself to learn it. Google Earth is one of the greatest applications of all time... but again you have to learn how to make use of it, but it's not that hard.

I can try to answer specific questions about BaseCamp as needed. Maybe I can help get some of you going. Make sure you have the current version.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
"can you adjust speeds up/down?" Yes

"Plan start/stop and say a 20 min break every 4 hours, and add flexibility for end of day range?". I do not plan that way but you can probably do that.

"Can you provide preferred roads?" I do not know what you want here...

Thanks David - I will add some homework to check out Basecamp, as well as I will also poke around more at Google My Maps more recent changes.

'Preferred roads' - That was to say avoid Interstates and prefer older highways. Or avoid Toll Bridges, in the route planning. Another of course is to avoid dirt roads too@! But most do this by default now days...

Appreciate your answers.

We have a trip from San Diego to Indianapolis (100th Indy 500!) in the planning phase. We think we'll take the time while we're East of the Mississippi for the firs time in our RV, to do the Northwest for about two months. We have to, oh darn, be in the Cody, Tetons and Yellowstone area in mid August...

So I'll first plan as I always do with MS S&T, and mentioned other sources. But, I think I'll take a look at Google My Map, to see how the planning goes. Basecamp will be added, but probably after we're on the road. But, I'll do my best to give it a good shakeout, and see how it compares.

Again, best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I only copied the above post because this is, IMO, a big scam by the cell phone folks.

If you have limited data, seek out free wifi sources for your trip planing whenever possible to reduce your cell phone plan data use for when you really need it. Many libraries and other government offices and buildings have free public wifi. Make sure your website connections are secure if a secure connection is available. Many travel centers, stops, and even some rest areas have free public wifi available. Turn on your wifi and see what might be available where you are.

I am paying a pretty high cost for my unlimited data plan from Verizon, which I have kept for years and never taken them up on their upgrade offers that wold get rid of my current data plan. Therefore, I use it as much as possible to get what I think is my money's worth.
So, not only are we tied to having to rely on online sources for our trip planning and storage, but we're also tied to unreliable, slow, or nonexistent public wifi sources? Sorry, but that's not my idea of "state of the art", no matter WHAT the providers want us to believe. Given a choice of a liesurely evening or 10 planning a trip in the comfort of my home/RV or a hectic time finding a reasonably fast, reliable, non-overloaded wifi connection and having to sit in a fast food joint or library or coffee shop using it I'd rather be in my own home/RV!

Nothing beats having everything at your fingertips no matter the time of day or your location!
Old 03-04-2016, 07:51 PM   #34

With copilot you download the maps you are going to need onto your phone. Do not have to be on line.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #35

With Delorme you don't have to be online. When finished, download it into your Garmin.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:35 PM   #36

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Nothing beats having everything at your fingertips no matter the time of day or your location!
Until it starts costing folks with not a lot of money too much money to have everything right at their fingertips.

You can spend your money exactly how you like, when you like, on what you like.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
So, not only are we tied to having to rely on online sources for our trip planning and storage, but we're also tied to unreliable, slow, or nonexistent public wifi sources? Sorry, but that's not my idea of "state of the art", no matter WHAT the providers want us to believe. Given a choice of a liesurely evening or 10 planning a trip in the comfort of my home/RV or a hectic time finding a reasonably fast, reliable, non-overloaded wifi connection and having to sit in a fast food joint or library or coffee shop using it I'd rather be in my own home/RV!

Alan. It's nuts to think that RVers have easy access to high speed internet 24/7. Then there are the updates issues for the standalone GPS devices. It took 7 hrs on a decent speed internet to update my Garmin last time. As a full timerer how often will I find a good connection to do this?

I have only read one supporter of the Delorme program. S&T has been the benchmark for serious RV travelers for a long time. I wish I had the business head to approach Microsoft about purchasing the rights and everything that goes with publishing S&T independent of Microsoft. I think it would be a good investment if the right folks were managing the data.

I have a 1900 mile trip planned through S&T. It has taken a bit of time but accomplished it from the leisure of my favorite chair. I have edited stops and researched online for rest stops and night stops. No stress and no jumping through hoops. If I tried to do this using some of the suggested tool above I would have had a bloody head from pulling hair out in fits of frustration. Many of the above tools have difficult learning curves and getting to the point of understanding how to link all of the data gathered into one USABLE gps program is like taking a extended ed program on flying the latest jet. It is way beyond my basic thinking and lifestyle; far outside reasonable and efficient. No I state my demand as a strong wild child would: MICROSOFT! GIVE ME BACK MY STREETS AND TRIPS!!!!
Did I make my point yet???

Rick Y
Old 03-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #38

Agreed , I still use it but yes I really miss it
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:16 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree, Rick! Right now I'm working on our trip for NEXT year - our granddaughter will be graduating from high school in 2017 in Hampton, VA and I'm putting together our route. Last year we did I10 from coast to coast, then up I95, then back west on I40. Next year we'll most likely do I70 to the east coast and I80 back west. With S&T I can sit in the comfort of my own home and work on the trip - I may spend a couple of hours one day, a few minutes another day - I'll be damned if I'm going to start looking for a reliable public wifi signal whenever I want to look up something on rvparkreviews or other site.

Especially when we're on the road - if I want to look something up on the internet I can use my jetpack instead of trying to find reliable and secure public wifi but for intensive planning, or replanning, nothing beats being able to work offline!
Old 03-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
One last comment about Street Atlas. Hear what the new users and some old ones have to say: Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: DeLorme Street Atlas USA 2015 Plus

Look at the percentage that rate it less than 5 stars and the common whys. Hard to use and outdated maps.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #41

RE: Delorme....all I can say is that we RVd over 150,000 miles over 16 years of constant travel and put on an additional 260,000 miles on our truck and Jeep out in the boonies - all by easily using Delorme. It works for us.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote