Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2021, 08:25 PM   #1

My 1st cross country planning

I sold my HR32 foot Imperial last year. First time in many many years without an RV!
I bought a 2004, 28 foot Outback bumper pull earlier this year. Iím planning a trip from SC to Yellowstone next month with my son. He is 25 & my wife canít leave work this long.
Iím pulling with a 2006, 1500 Silverado pickup. I just had it serviced & check for any potential problems & everything was good. I normally use it in tow gear & in 3 rd gear too. Is this correct?
I have knowledge on how to prepare for this trip but Iím certainly open for suggestions!
Iíve calculated an approximate cost for gasoline.
I have new tires & spare. New RV battery. Everything works good & I have a spare small refrigerator (110 volt).
I thought Iíd bring a generator for any boon docking we might do for running the ac when needed.
Will bring bicycles.
I thought Iíd use gps to initiate our rout as well as use paper maps. The gps should get us there the fastest route then return more leisurely taking up to 3 weeks total.
Iím curious about finding the best & affordable places to camp in rout & while there.
Iíd like to go South & visit places along the Grand Canyon & maybe find a ranch to ride horses some.
Maybe also do a rapids trip too.
Figure we will pack light but be prepared for any expected weather conditions, good shoes & boots.
Iím 67 & this is a lifetime trip Iíve always wanted to do.
glennj3cub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 08:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennj3cub View Post
I sold my HR32 foot Imperial last year. First time in many many years without an RV!
I bought a 2004, 28 foot Outback bumper pull earlier this year. I’m planning a trip from SC to Yellowstone next month with my son. He is 25 & my wife can’t leave work this long.
I’m pulling with a 2006, 1500 Silverado pickup. I just had it serviced & check for any potential problems & everything was good. I normally use it in tow gear & in 3 rd gear too. Is this correct?
I have knowledge on how to prepare for this trip but I’m certainly open for suggestions!
I’ve calculated an approximate cost for gasoline.
I have new tires & spare. New RV battery. Everything works good & I have a spare small refrigerator (110 volt).
I thought I’d bring a generator for any boon docking we might do for running the ac when needed.
Will bring bicycles.
I thought I’d use gps to initiate our rout as well as use paper maps. The gps should get us there the fastest route then return more leisurely taking up to 3 weeks total.
I’m curious about finding the best & affordable places to camp in rout & while there.
I’d like to go South & visit places along the Grand Canyon & maybe find a ranch to ride horses some.
Maybe also do a rapids trip too.
Figure we will pack light but be prepared for any expected weather conditions, good shoes & boots.
I’m 67 & this is a lifetime trip I’ve always wanted to do.
Three weeks or possibly - 23 days - Need to think how many miles per Day?

Also Know that it is 2,300 miles from South Carolina to Yellowstone - and then you need to come back so that's almost - well actually more than 5,000 miles just out and back - You will likely go south into Colorado then Head Home. Grand Canyon is not in this trip, JMHO.

MAP - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=8afa6...=2&form=S00027

So plug a number in for Miles per Day, then divide and see how many days you have to do things - Not many - Three weeks is short and you are going a long way out and a long way back. IMHO you will be lucky to average 50 MPH as you drive, lot of miles not on the Interstate.

Look the MAP over see what you think - give us a little more info and let the Fun Begin.

Best of Luck, and hope this helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:39 PM   #3

2843 miles - If you want to do Grand Canyon from... say ... Columbia, SC you would take I-20 to I-22 to Memphis then I-40 to Flagstaff, AZ. Northwest on 180 to 64 to Grand Canyon.
Exit the Canyon via 64 east to Hwy 89 north to Panguitch, UT. A little north on 89 to Hwy 20 west to I-15 north to Idaho Falls, ID. Then pick up Hwy 20 north to West Yellowstone.

.... and then you'll have the return trip.

Along this route you will be close to Zion Nat'l Park and Bryce Nat'l Park off Hwy 89 in Utah.

Truthfully, this is a very long trip for the days you have. Can you work in more days?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:40 AM   #4

Leave the truck in drive with tow haul on. Let the truck decide what to do. Running in 3rd probably won't let the torque converter lock up causing heat in the trans, others on here will know better than me on that.
What are the weight specs on that trailer?
Have fun and enjoy the time with your son.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:52 PM   #5

Thanks for your input for me. Maps quest measures about 1800miles one way. I agree 3 weeks is not long enough but I want my son to be able to go with me. I calculated 39 hours of driving one way. The wife wants me home to do something with her entire family just after we return��.
I really wanted to go in the spring but couldn’t make it.
I’ll check the trailer weight.
glennj3cub is offline   Reply With Quote