Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I don't think states would go to the trouble and expense to put them there if they didn't help.
Don't get me started on that. Here in Arizona, they've started putting "left turn only on arrow" signals at every two-bit intersection. That means even if the road is clear for a mile ahead, you have to wait until you get the green arrow to turn. And of course what happens is that it doesn't change until ten cars are approaching, and then they all have to stop so one guy can turn.

I'm sure they do this because statistics show such intersections to be safer, but they waste time and gas. At what point does safety trump convenience? If we wanted to be really safe we'd all just stay home, or maybe make the speed limit 25 mph everywhere. Of course this is never going to happen, so at some point some traffic engineer is making the decision as to what level of risk is acceptable. I think that they're not always making decisions based on common sense.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #16

So many roads around the Midwest and northern states don't have any shoulder at all, so there is really no where to put the rumble strips other than directly under the white line itself. The county highway I live on has only two lanes, and there can't be more then 2" outside the white line before the drop-off to the ditch. If a rumble strip on the white line keeps someone out of the ditch, that's a plus.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
We were involved in a head-on collision a few years ago when an oncoming driver fell asleep behind the wheel of his Honda which then slammed into the front of our coach.

He slowly crossed the center line for about 100 yards. Had there been rumble strips in the center of the road, he'd still be alive.
I think that's about everyone's worst nightmare. I hope you and your family were not seriously injured.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:43 PM   #18

No doubt there is no national standard to the placement of the strips. Even in my state I can drive down a road and the strips will be right next to the white fog line then a few miles further down the road the strips will be a foot or more past the white line. Different days different road crew supervisors.
I have to admit I have heard the rumble. Not so much in my car or pick up but in my wag the tail gas chassis MH. I turn on the AC and the radio to Mach 4 and hold on. It's a way of life.
I'm glad we didn't have rumble strips back when I was drinking. I'd have never gotten any sleep!
Lynn
Old 08-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
When did the trend start of moving rumble strips from the center of the shoulder to edge of the driving lane? Whoever made this decision obviously did not drive a truck. I fail to see how forcing traffic to the center can be safer, especially on two-lane roads. In the era of texting and other driver distractions this just seems foolish. The margin of error is diminished even more, and all it takes is one fool in the opposite lane to drift over a few inches and the results can be disastrous.
When you, me, EVERYONE, started getting distracted from the job at hand - driving! You know - being aware of where you are in a lane, who is ahead and behind or on the side, what one may have to do to avoid obstacles, maintaining safe distances, being aware of merging traffic, slower traffic - I guess this list is endless.

It doesn't matter the distraction: whether by handheld devices, GPS devices, radios, a myriad of warnings, alarms, and messages that new vehicles have. These days everyone seems distracted. Heck - too many can't even remember they have children in the car with them.

Its our government at work - trying to protect us - from us. No telling where it will end.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #20

I worked for a plastics jobber that made 10,000 per day of those little road turtles that they used to mark lanes with. it's sad that they'll lose the business as the ground-in rumble strips replace them. It bothers me to cross the grinders on my motorcycle. Unlike the dots I can't aim between them. I think they're dangerous to bikes. Especially the centerline ones. But it's the evolution of road markings.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #21

Remember the White Line is marking the right edge of lane.
Not maintaining lane control will get you a ticket.....so those rumble strips are letting you know PAY Attention to driving in your lane
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:26 PM   #22

Quote:
I think that's about everyone's worst nightmare. I hope you and your family were not seriously injured.
We both walked away. Still bothers me how things played out, especially since this could have been avoided in so many ways. Rumble strips in the center lines would have been one way.

Can't tell you how many distracted drivers I see every day just driving through our local area - no idea at all what's going on around them. Cars weaving in and out of traffic, no doubt looking at their laps (cell phones) or staring at the touch screen in the dash.

Soon rumble strips won't be enough to keep these drivers in the lane - they'll need pop-up gutter bumpers like bowling alleys install for small kids.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:10 PM   #23

Quote:
. . having them right on the white line is annoying as hell when you're driving a big rig on a bumpy road in a cross wind, besides which I like to give myself some extra distance between myself and opposing traffic in case some inattentive fool drifts over the line. I have had three such close calls in my 50 years of driving (none of them my fault) and I don't care to have any others.

I agree that at least a foot off the white line is much better, and there's nothing wrong with them being in the center of the road. In fact, I wish they'd do more of that on busy two-lanes.

My problem is not with the rumble strips per se, it's that in some states in recent years they put them too close to the white line on the right.
I agree completely CamJam. This has been one of my pet peeves also. One foot outside the white line would be perfect, but I've seen very few locales that do that. I think maybe Oklahoma usually does it that way.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
I agree completely CamJam. This has been one of my pet peeves also. One foot outside the white line would be perfect, but I've seen very few locales that do that. I think maybe Oklahoma usually does it that way.
I hope you realize that one foot outside the white line is off the pavement and going into the ditch on lots of roads. Not to be harsh, but I'd suggest that if you need a foot of leeway beyond the white line something needs attention with your coach. It shouldn't be that difficult to stay within the lane.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I hope you realize that one foot outside the white line is off the pavement and going into the ditch on lots of roads. Not to be harsh, but I'd suggest that if you need a foot of leeway beyond the white line something needs attention with your coach. It shouldn't be that difficult to stay within the lane.
Usually it's not, occasionally it is, but at all times I like to stay as far away from cars passing in the opposite direction at 70+ mph as I can. Forcing opposing traffic towards the center of the roadway makes no sense to me.

I raced sports and formula cars for a dozen years, won three SCCA Divisional and four Regional Championships and won more than 1/3 of the races I ever entered, so I'm better than most behind the wheel. My coach is probably no better or worse than most Class A gassers (I've owned several) but yes, I am always trying to make it better. Here in the Southwest crosswinds are more the norm than the exception.

Frankly, with our high speeds (even Kias and Hyundais blow by you at 80-90 mph now) and narrow two-lanes I'm surprised accident rates aren't higher. At least on the race track we were all traveling the same direction... most of the time anyway.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:56 PM   #26

Rumble strips make sleeping tough. Now I have to stop driving to sleep
thedjjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:10 PM   #27

My step son's dad recently crossed the rumble strips just outside the yellow line in up state New York. He had fallen asleep at the wheel, after a red eye coast to coast flight.

He admitted that he did not wake up until he hit the cable guard rail. The rental car was totaled, every air bags was set off, he had cuts on his arms, and my step son had cuts on his face.

Wish the rumble strips had woken him up. My wife even commented that if I had done the same, he would have come unhinged.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:38 PM   #28

Quote:
When did the trend start of moving rumble strips from the center of the shoulder to edge of the driving lane? Whoever made this decision obviously did not drive a truck. I fail to see how forcing traffic to the center can be safer, especially on two-lane roads. In the era of texting and other driver distractions this just seems foolish. The margin of error is diminished even more, and all it takes is one fool in the opposite lane to drift over a few inches and the results can be disastrous.
Well, if that’s your pet peeve you have a pretty good life. It’s actually quite difficult to move rumble strips. They probably moved the lines.

The strips are quite effective in rattling the phone out of the drivers hand, which on occasion causes them to look out the windshield at the road.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote