Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2019, 06:50 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
I drive it at least four-six times per month-- just yesterday in fact-- and the rumble strips are on the white line for most of the 17 miles. They need to be outside the white line by at least six inches. The accidents I'm aware of were NOT caused by people passing, the most famous being the one that killed three corrections officers on their way home from work early on a Sunday morning. The driver of the truck that killed them simply crossed the center line.
Still don't understand why having the rumble strips under the white line is a problem. You're not supposed to drive on the white line. Period. If you're hearing the rumble sound off you're in the wrong place.

Believe me, after being struck head-on by a driver falling asleep and crossing the center line I understand the danger. But, driving on the white line is not the answer. It just swaps one dangerous situation for another and doesn't solve anything.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #58

My new GM truck has a lane feature built into it. If I get too close to the shoulder fog line or the center line, the seat will vibrate to alert me. I could shut the system off, but I'm getting used to it and it does really help to keep me in the center of my lane.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:00 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
All the roads being mentioned 59, 389, 169 we've done easily many times with our 40' motorhome by staying in the center of the perfectly wide lanes! Never, touched rumble stripes. I really don't see the issue you're having.
I don't have an "issue" driving any of them. No problem at all with AZ389-- drove it on our way back from Montana just last week-- I mistakenly mentioned that highway earlier and later corrected myself. UT59 is what I meant, and it has small shoulders and sharp drop offs. If you like driving it, be my guest. It seems dangerous to me.

AZ169 is fine except for the rumble strips being right on the white line. That's the one that bugs me the most because I drive it the most. I stay off the rumble strips, but it just strikes me as idiotic to push traffic to the center of the roadway when there's plenty of shoulder for the rumble strips to be moved out and give the 70-80 mph traffic some breathing room.

My evidence that such roadways are more dangerous is purely anecdotal, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it until someone proves me wrong.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:05 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Still don't understand why having the rumble strips under the white line is a problem. You're not supposed to drive on the white line. Period. If you're hearing the rumble sound off you're in the wrong place.

Believe me, after being struck head-on by a driver falling asleep and crossing the center line I understand the danger. But, driving on the white line is not the answer. It just swaps one dangerous situation for another and doesn't solve anything.
Who says you can't drive on the white line? It's just a guide, and a quite useful one when towing a wide trailer. Staying on the road is what matters.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #61

Quote:
Who says you can't drive on the white line? It's just a guide, and a quite useful one when towing a wide trailer. Staying on the road is what matters.

The law is not to cross a solid line painted on the road, whether yellow or white.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:32 PM   #62

Quote:
Who says? In case you didn't catch it when I posted it earlier, here's a quote from the CDL Drivers Handbook:

Staying Centered in a Lane
You need to keep your vehicle centered in the lane to keep safe clearance on either side. If your vehicle is wide, you have little room to spare.

Also, in many states a commonly written ticket is for "failure to maintain lane", which means keeping the vehicle between the lines.

Here's an interesting read if anyone wants to learn how the various states define these things:

https://stories.avvo.com/crime/traff...surprises.html

In a nutshell, paraphrasing much of this, a driver is supposed to keep his/her vehicle between the lines, not on them.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
The fog line , the white line on the right, is a guide yes. It is a marker for the end of the drivable lane. Driving ON the fog line repeatedly
( or the center lines ) is a indication of a distracted , tired , impaired , inexperienced or perhaps a driver with a mechanical steering issue. All reasons for a traffic stop to determine the reason. If a motorhome has no mechanical issue one has to ask what reason applies ? The vehicle is possible to be centered in the lane when in the proper hands. I was required to do the same and evaluated regularly on much larger equipment up to and including commercial triple trailers. Keeping my job required having that skill. Additionally Being on and off the line was a ticket for failure to maintain.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:28 PM   #64

OP: Since you're from Arizona, read the Driver's License Handbook:

https://www.azdot.gov/docs/default-s...r.pdf?sfvrsn=8

pg. 28 states "Drive in the middle of your lane staying between lines.

pg. 38 states "Only cross the solid line on the right edge of the roadway in case of an emergency or to avoid a road hazard.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:03 AM   #65

If asked anybody that rides a bike will tell you the paint on pavement is slicker than the pavement beside it.
Driving on the line will wear the paint off. Of course, you don't have to pay to repaint it.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #66

I figured that would rattle your chains.

If you see a Dolphin with its right rear duallies on the white line be sure to wave as you pass.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #67

Quote:
I figured that would rattle your chains. [emoji23]

If you see a Dolphin with its right rear duallies on the white line be sure to wave as you pass.
Sounds like you're just trying to be controversial for the sake of controversy then.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
In many states the rumble strips are well outside of the white line lane marker. In Missouri they're placed exactly inline with the white line.

I don't mind touching off on them from time to time, but my DW swears that I said that they're bad on the tires. Sheesh, I never said that. So, that's how it goes as we drive the highways! Did I mention that I like traveling alone?
After leaving a rv Park, and you hit those rumble strips, they kinda help shake out the small stones and pebbles out of the tire groves.
Other than that, dw thinks the vibrator in her heat/massage seat pad is acting up.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #69

I made the mistake of driving over the rumble strips once when DW was back in the bath taking care of business. She wasn’t amused.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #70

Quote:
I figured that would rattle your chains.

Thought driving ON the rumble strips bothered you
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote