Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
When did the trend start of moving rumble strips from the center of the shoulder to edge of the driving lane? Whoever made this decision obviously did not drive a truck. I fail to see how forcing traffic to the center can be safer, especially on two-lane roads. In the era of texting and other driver distractions this just seems foolish. The margin of error is diminished even more, and all it takes is one fool in the opposite lane to drift over a few inches and the results can be disastrous.
I agree. The rumble strips on the white line is a pain in the ear!!
Verlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2019, 09:12 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
We were involved in a head-on collision a few years ago when an oncoming driver fell asleep behind the wheel of his Honda which then slammed into the front of our coach.

He slowly crossed the center line for about 100 yards. Had there been rumble strips in the center of the road, he'd still be alive.

I know that the OP mentioned the rumble strips on the shoulder of the road, but around here we often see them in the center marking as well on 2-lane roads, especially those with 55+ speed limits.

I'm all for putting as many of these things out there as possible. I want people to get a heads up the second they veer from their lane.

Another situation where the shoulder rumble strips were a blessing was last year when we got stuck on the freeway coming through Illinois when the conditions suddenly went from 50+ degrees to blizzard-like with near zero visibility. It was too dangerous to stop due to the traffic moving along in spite of the conditions, and it was near impossible to see the road. The rumble strip allowed us to limp forward to the next off-ramp at about 10 mph, literally driving by braille by keeping the right tires on the rumble strip to make sure I didn't leave the roadway.

Like I said, the more rumbles the better in my book.
I understand your view but on small roads Posted between 40 to 55mph with Rumble strips on the white and double yellow line makes for alot of noise, I know one section of old raod no rumble strip and is now repaved with rumble on the white and the yellow.

I can't Imagine the people that live 50 to 100 feet from the road, I forgot to mention it's a main trucking route to the Interstate you can't not miss hiting both Rumble strips and trucks love traveling at night... Talk about a sound off for Rumble strips....................

I know it's sad that these type of small back roads make people want to Sleep, Text, Talk on phones, Email, Video, CB, etc... maybe increasing the speed could alleviate the want to Sleep, Text, Talk on phones, Email, Video, CB, etc...

Thats my 2 c
sledbiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:51 PM   #87

Unless your talking about an interstate the shoulder is usually for bicycles, pedestrians and breakdowns so the rumble strips need to be located to warn you before you wander into that pedestrian, bike, disabled vehicle, police car, etc.

Here in the Deep South we have the added benefit of the raised rumble reflectors on the traffic lines giving warning when you wander out of your lane too. They have saved a great number of people from texters and cell phone users too.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:48 PM   #88

On the line, white or yellow. Before cell phones and such they were not needed. Not long ago I saw a semi driver reading a newspaper. I’m careful to stay off them as the rumble gets my dog pissed.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:33 AM   #89

I agree, Verlyn, and I think of it this way - closing speeds from the drive lane to anything stopped along the shoulder would be aprox 70 mph, whereas, drive lane to head-on traffic lane speeds are aprox 140 mph! Hmmm!
Searl736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:03 AM   #90

Ruble strips are a part of driving. They can be annoying, especially when they are ON the white line. But we accept it and drive on, just glad that extra little alert keeps the driver from drifting to the right.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:57 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
Ruble strips are a part of driving. They can be annoying, especially when they are ON the white line. But we accept it and drive on, just glad that extra little alert keeps the driver from drifting to the right.
I can't wait when they come to your neighborhood or Campground...

2 cents more
sledbiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:04 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I've seen the rumble strip right at the outer edge of the white stripe, even though there are several feet of pavement beyond that!

x2 and pet peave here as well. Idiot designers.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:07 AM   #93

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
In many states the rumble strips are well outside of the white line lane marker. In Missouri they're placed exactly inline with the white line.

I don't mind touching off on them from time to time, but my DW swears that I said that they're bad on the tires. Sheesh, I never said that. So, that's how it goes as we drive the highways! Did I mention that I like traveling alone?
I drive I44 in Missouri a lot, both in my car and motorhome. The rumble strip location varies between on the white line at the shoulder and just outside it. When it’s on the white line it’s a real pain when I’m in the my mh. Like so many it drifts a little and the periodic rumble when I touch them is annoying at best. I would think 6-12 inches to the outside of the white line would do the job.

Ed
‘05 Har Ambassador
neoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #94

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
One has to wonder how many injuries or lives have been saved by having these strips on our highways. With the number of distracted, inattentive, sleepy and plain stupid drivers on today's roads I'm sure the strips have been effective.
If you don't like the noise and vibration when you drive on these strips stay off them.
Lynn
The question isn’t whether or not to have them. It’s where to put them.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:13 AM   #95

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
x2 and pet peave here as well. Idiot designers.
Ditto
Old 08-16-2019, 01:31 PM   #96
JVH

Send a message via ICQ to JVH Send a message via AIM to JVH Send a message via Yahoo to JVH Send a message via Skype™ to JVH
I really don't have any problem with the rumble strips.
There are only three times I touch them.
1. When passing a Big Rig.
2. During high winds pushing me around.
3. When napping...grin
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #97

One of my pets gets peeved if I touch the strips, which then gets DW's attention...
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:18 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledbiker1 View Post
I can't wait when they come to your neighborhood or Campground...

2 cents more
I don't think I understand your post. Rumble strips are everywhere. I drove a stretch of road today that has the rumble strip with the white line painted over it.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote