Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Natchez Trace -Anyone??

Heading for Natchez Trace Friday from St. Louis.

Think it's a mistake? Anyone been down thru there?
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2009, 02:39 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
Heading for Natchez Trace Friday from St. Louis.

Think it's a mistake? Anyone been down thru there?
the dw and i were there on our motorcycle several years ago. it was a great trip.
the road was in good shape. no commercial trucks were allowed. you should have no troubles in a moho.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:36 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We left Nashville last Friday "doing" the Trace. The leaves are beautiful and wildlife is abundant. Its a great drive and/or ride. The biggest problem you're going to have is the size of your coach. You are limited on cg's. Barnes Crossing cg in Tupelo can handle your rig. Goshen Springs CG north of Jackson can also handle large rigs.

Make a stop at French Camp for sure.

I don't want to get too wordy here, but if you need more info I'll try to help.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:08 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's a great drive this time of year with the trees turning colors. Take your time and make many stops. As far as campgrounds there are a few to choose from around Tupilo and there is one across the river from Natchez that can acomadate your MH. You must see tha Aunty Bellum homes there is one that was never completed I don't remember the name but it's a must see. If you get to Vicksburg don't miss the battle feild you can't take your MH on the drive but it's a must see.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks

I'm booning it at Sam's in Paducah on Friday and KOA in Nashville Sat night and Boone's Crossing on Sun night.

Anybody know of a good RV park in Paducah? I looked and looked and it either can't get my rig in or they have bad reviews.

I called Sam's and they put me on hold and didn't get back but what she said there wouldn't be a problem.

Trying to find Goshen Springs on Goggle Earth. No luck.

Can't wait to get on the road.

How many of you wives out there drive your coach? Mine won't even try. It makes for a long day for me. And I promised here I wouldn't yell at her, but she knows I'm Lying
Old 10-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
A great drive we really enjoyed it. Would suggest Trace State Park near Tupelo. Timber Lake near Jackson Ms was nice too. My wife won't drive either.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wife drives. Sometimes for only a couple hours but it sure helps.
Check the following link for Goshen Springs. We just got off the Trace last night. Beautiful drive and with 50 mph speed limit and hardly any traffic, a great place to let her take the wheel.
Welcome to the Ross Barnett Reservoir
Old 10-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #8

Two campgrounds that are excellent ..

I have stayed at two campgrounds (in the vicinity of the Trace) that are excellent and can handle rigs of all sizes ...

a) Near Jackson ... Ross Barnett Lake / Timberlake Campground ... it is a former Corps of Engineering Campground ... concrete pads ... full hookups ... roomy back-in-sites ... it is probably about 10 miles off the trace ... and it will take a little navigating to get there ... but it is worth the drive ...

b) Near Natchez ...River View RV Park and Resort ... located on the West side of the Mississippi River .... you can watch the river traffic from your rig ... excellent park

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to all. Getting ready to hit the road. Crappy weather still here in St Louis.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Didn't make it 40 miles down the Trace. She was getting sick from the turns and the bicycle riders scared her. Turned of on I 20 and pressed where to on GPS to HOME. Back in St Louis Sunday night 8 PM.

What a waste.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bummer! Where did you have all the turns? We just returned and I'll be darn if I can remember any "bad" turns, curves, etc.

You sure want to stay off the Beartooth Hwy.

If your serious, pm me with price on the Essex.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #12

How disappointing for you. There are parts where the trace may a little narrow and curvy. Each person has their own tolerance. Pat is great at many things, but absolutely wants nothing to do with driving the motorhome. She assures me she can get somewhere if I have the big one. We'll see. Pat is already girding up for the trip to New England next summer. Or as I tell folks (big talker when she's in other room). The MH and I are going to NE. And she is certainly welcome to join us. Where did you get on the Trace?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Sorry to hear about your bad experiance. Maybe your wife's Dr. could prescribe something to help calm her nerves. My wife wouldn't ride in the MH when we first started motorhoming. Oddly enough she was as anxious to buy as I was. My friend and I drove while the wives followed. A week later we took our maiden voyage, it took a few trips for her to get used to the monster with the panoramic view. We are now owning our second MH, and loving every time we use it.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #14
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Weather was bad in Paduchah and same on Saturday in Nashville. Camped in the KOA ground and had a patio spot that was on an incline. Couldn't level coach even on 2 X 10's. Woke up to a beautiful Sunday morning. Headed out and started down the Trail about one O'Clock and the first 40 miles it swerves back and forth. I wasn't even running the 40 MPH speed limit and between the turns and the bike riders I guess it scared her.

She's mad cause we came home.

What a great drive from the Trace across Tenn to Caruthrsville MO.

Highway 57 south of Mount Vernon Ill beats you to death.