RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2021, 01:25 PM   #1

Nav software to avoid interstates but not US highways

Anyone know of a navigation software/app or tool that gives you control over the types of roads you want to route?

Google Maps "Avoid Highways" does not do what I want.

For example, I want to avoid interstates when practical but not avoid US and state highways.

I'd like the option to plot shortest distance instead of the normal shortest time (ie. fastest route).

And when I'm off exploring in my 4x4 toad there are times I'd like to plot routes with priority given to dirt roads (there are many of these out west).
Baja-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2021, 02:44 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja-Chris View Post
And when I'm off exploring in my 4x4 toad there are times I'd like to plot routes with priority given to dirt roads (there are many of these out west).
We're just starting to get into overland exploring with our Jeeps and I've found 2 websites that help a lot with planning off-road driving: first of all I use trailsoffroad to find trails in the area we're in. They have a free version and a paid version - the paid version provides downloadable files for each trail that can be used with another website: gaiagps that is a trip planning website AND a GPS routing app for your phone. Gaiagps also has a free version and a paid version - I'm still trying to figure it out since I only found it a week or so ago, but it looks like it works well for routing onto all the various dirt trails out west.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:35 AM   #3

That's why I carry a paper atlas with us, and use it for every trip.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:20 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Amen OP! Streets and Trips used to do it because it used a sliding bar to show how much you loved/hated road types. It would use one that you did not prefer too much when it made sense.

Maps, Garmin, etc are binary. Say avoid interstates and you get wild routings. We avoid interstates when there is a good alternative. Only way to do it is pick way points to force it to stay on the US highway.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgique View Post
Amen OP! Streets and Trips used to do it because it used a sliding bar to show how much you loved/hated road types. It would use one that you did not prefer too much when it made sense.
That capability is just what I want. It can't be that hard to develop since the systems know the road types already. Maybe some developer is reading this!
Combine that capability along with the info on coach size/weight and I'd be a happy (happier) camper.

I do still use paper road atlas books. And I have electronic moving map topo maps with jeep trails for off road, but it does not do routing. I'll check out trailsoffroad

Thanks for the replies
Baja-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:52 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja-Chris View Post
That capability is just what I want. It can't be that hard to develop since the systems know the road types already. Maybe some developer is reading this!
Combine that capability along with the info on coach size/weight and I'd be a happy (happier) camper.

I do still use paper road atlas books. And I have electronic moving map topo maps with jeep trails for off road, but it does not do routing. I'll check out trailsoffroad

Thanks for the replies
MS S&T was a great product. Unfortunately it's also a dead one. The cost of the capability integration that was designed into it ultimately made it a product that Microsoft decided could not satisfy it's internal hurdle rates for keeping it. Interestingly, they just pulled the plug on it. And nobody else tried to fill the void and replace it, which also speaks to to it's complexity and cost of entry to that full feature product market. I'm sure there is more to it than just that, but I wouldn't anticipate a product like S&T anytime soon.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #7

We love using Benchmark series of a road atlas because they don't deal with interstates rather the concentrate on secondary roads and public lands. Easy to read. We also used Delorme's Street Atlas which made planning so easy and did it the way WE wanted to go. We used it on our 4-wheeling trips, also. Even though it's not produced and more we find that roads don't really change that much.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:06 PM   #8

Base Camp from Garmin lets you determine your route and roads. After creating the route, upload it to your GPS.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:04 PM   #9

We wandered the lower 48 for six months, avoiding Interstates at all cost. We found that by studying the maps, you can usually find a roughly parallel route on a far more interesting State Highway. The travel time is often only a little slower than the boring and restrictive Interstates. It’s the only way to see America.
vermontbuild is offline   Reply With Quote