Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2019, 04:48 PM   #71

Have fun on that inside curve with nothing between you and eternity and that oncoming semi is crowding your lane. Why would you attempt it when you will not be able to enjoy the scenery. Be smart, take the toad.
wd4kaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #72

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by larliebler View Post
I have about 6,000 miles experience in a class A pulling a TOAD. However, most of that was with a coach 10 feet shorter and using a tow dolly.

My question is how difficult will it be on the million dollar highway in Colorado for me now that I'm 10 feet longer and towing 4 wheels down?

I've watched a few videos of the million dollar highway and I'm feeling a little white knuckled already. Should I wimp out and have the wife drive the Jeep or towing the Jeep won't really make much of a difference on those tight turns?
I drove it yesterday, have 32' class C toad is F150 with 900RZR in it. The sharp turns must be taken wide. After getting over I heard it was just opened, no ice only water. not to bad.
Be careful.

John
KD0MOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #73

Navigating the Million Dollar Highway

I unknowingly ended up on the Million Dollar Highway. Missed the warning signs. We were in our 45 ft Essex towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee. My advice is don’t do it in a MH. Way to dangerous. I now have a new commitment to trip planning.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:08 PM   #74

And cross your fingers that a logging truck isn’t coming towards you at just the wrong time.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #75

Here is a video that lets you "drive" it from the comfort of your living room.

Doesn't seem too bad, but I would do it in the toad, and take the bus around on Highway145 to Telluride.

https://www.durango.com/million-dollar-highway/ Note the school bus doing 550 near the end. Sorry, that is only Silverton to Ouray.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #76

Newmar Owners Club
Take it easy and enjoy

Have driven 550 in Jeeps, cars, class A gas and last time in DP pulling a Jeep GC. One of the prettiest drives in the country and we've been on some beautiful ones. Picture postcard views turn after turn.

Every one has there own comfort level. Have heard of people having panic attacks and abandoning there cars but then again we live in the UP of Michigan and have heard the same thing about the Mackinac bridge.

You won't go very fast, speed limits are low for good reason. Under 40 footer should have no problems on any corners just plan your entry / exit going in. Just take it easy, no reason to swing wide into the opposing lane. Adjust your right mirror to get an easy / quick view of where your back tire is. Stop at every turn out to let traffic by. Soak in the view and the cool clean air. Driver should enjoy the view while stopped. Expect to hear DW telling you your to close to the edge, just let her know you're riding the yellow line on your side.

A great way to really enjoy the road is take the train up from Durango to Silverton then take the narrated bus ride back. Well worth the time. Not cheap but reasonable.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:11 PM   #77

Driver many times 30 years ago, would even think about it now, road is not for 75+ year old people, toad would be the way to go, less tension.
You will enjoy and have a safe trip.
Tradition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:14 PM   #78

Beware of the overpass it is narrow and low rounded corners
Tradition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:51 PM   #79

Never Again

I have driven many miles in a 40’ class A pulling a 4 down toad through the Rockies. Have driven the million dollar highway with same rig but never again. There is a fine way to go around through Telluride. By asking this question I think you realize you have doubts. It is just not worth the risk. Camp in Durango or Ouray and drive the highway in your toad. RV’ing should be enjoyed, not feared. Enjoy the trip.
Rex3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:17 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd4kaq View Post
Have fun on that inside curve with nothing between you and eternity and that oncoming semi is crowding your lane. Why would you attempt it when you will not be able to enjoy the scenery. Be smart, take the toad.
Well Doomsday,
In all the times we've been on it, probably a couple of dozen, I think I've seen maybe ONE semi. And I pretty much doubt that there's any motorhomes at the bottom of any of the canyons, due to a semi on that road. Besides, what if they want to camp in any of the available camping in and outside Ouray, Silverton, Ridgeway etc.? Can't camp in a toad.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:24 PM   #81

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.B View Post
Towing the Jeep isn't going to make much of a difference. Just swing as wide as you can on the tight turns.
X2 on that

I have don it many time in my RV+ trailer combo (about 53 foot)
I've even done it after dark. In fact that to me is the best time to drive a longer vehicle over it. That way you can tell when on coming traffic is around the corner.
No matter WHAT drive at a speed where you can stop in your sight distance.
Yes You WILL have to cross the center line on some turns. That is just the way it is with a vehicle that long.

Its really not as bad as some people make it out to be.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:53 PM   #82

Did I hear this right? Some guy has his wife blocking off the road above or below a switchback so He can use both lanes to make it around the corners? That's his plan?
Really?

My wife and I are going to be on this road in August on touring bikes......if you need to block off the road because you need both lanes to get a camper around a corner - take another highway! You don't belong there - you are dangerous.
Oregon RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:41 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
Please dont swing as wide as you can....i dont wont to be in the middle of your grill riding my motorcycle around the corner!!!!@!!
If you cant stay on your side of the road then KEEP off that road!!!!!!!
I'm going to agree with this. You are libel if you are on the wrong side of the road and something bad happens. Being too big, long, scared, whatever, is not an excuse from liability if you are across the center line. If you can't fit on the roadway, stay off it.
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:01 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlawbob View Post
I unknowingly ended up on the Million Dollar Highway. Missed the warning signs. We were in our 45 ft Essex towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee. My advice is don’t do it in a MH. Way to dangerous. I now have a new commitment to trip planning.

What section did you drive? Ouray to Silverton? Silverton to Durango?

Just wondering as you’re the first I’ve seen (unless I missed it) who did it in a 45 footer.

Was thinking about a trip to Silverton but my new (to me) coach is 42 ft. I’ve done this road from Ouray to Durango in a 38foot Coach. Scared the wife pretty good.

I’m now thinking I might put her on the train in Durango, and have her meet me up there.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote