Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2019, 06:28 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by larliebler View Post
I'm in Pa-Co-Chu-Puk with the 30 amp. Hopefully it won't be too hot since I can't run both AC units, but I would only need it in the evening since I'll be out all day. I could also just close our bedroom door and the one AC unit would be just fine. I was shocked how hot it was here in Denver last summer, but I'll be at higher elevations on this trip so hopefully that will help.

I'm looking for the most beautiful places to take pictures not only in Ridgway, but Ouray, Silverton and Telluride. If you know of some really good places please let me know. I also like to take pictures of the Milky Way, and fortunately for me I'll be in Gunnison (one of the darkest and best places for astrophotography) when the galactic center is most visible. It will be interesting to see how it compares to Switzerland which was the most amazing place I've done astrophotography.

If you have the time, it will be worth it to take a trip to Lake City. It’s only 56 miles south of Gunnison. Much cooler. I’ve lived here for 12 years and the hottest it has been is 89. And the humidity is around 20% in non-monsoon season.

Just south of Lake City is a pull off called Windy Point. It’s a fantastic place for photography, especially at night since it’s miles away from any light.
Prontix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2019, 07:38 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prontix View Post
If you have the time, it will be worth it to take a trip to Lake City. It’s only 56 miles south of Gunnison. Much cooler. I’ve lived here for 12 years and the hottest it has been is 89. And the humidity is around 20% in non-monsoon season.

Just south of Lake City is a pull off called Windy Point. It’s a fantastic place for photography, especially at night since it’s miles away from any light.
Thanks
It's never too late to do the right thing!
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:02 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prontix View Post

Look over these images around Lake City - just plain Beautiful - https://www.flickr.com/photos/michae...n/photostream/

Think you will love Lake City - First time there I started to Look for Property - Just Special

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:37 AM   #116

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
big drop offs

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlawbob View Post
I drove a 45 footer with tow from Ouray to Durango. Hardly could exceed 25 mph. Double switch backs then 7% to 9% incline or decline depending. I saw no large trucks or RVs. One, maybe two, narrow “tunnels” that I could not share with even a motor cycle. Several hours of very dangerous and tedious driving. The views were probably great but we could only see a 5k drop off without a guard rail. Admittedly my driving skills are average but this road is not for a MH.

Have you ever noticed the number of accidents on Interstate highways where people hit either marked police cars with lights on or disabled vehicles? Why do you think that is? it is people being curious and looking somewhere other than where they are intending to travel. Results can be tragic. I suspect that is the very reason so many people fear driving US 550 between Durango and Ouray, or more specifically between Silverton or Ouray. If a driver, regardless of what they are driving, pays attention to where the vehicle is on the roadway, you don't hit parked vehicles or police cars with lights on, or be concerned if there is a 2,000' drop off and no side rail. If you think about it, the typical side rail on most roads in our country, if they were on US 550 between Silverton and Ouray would not be much help for 45' motorcoach (or any large vehicle). If you don't watch and concentrate on where you are driving and hit a guard rail (if it were there) you are almost certainly going over the edge! So concentrate on the position of your left front tire in relation to the road and eventually, the fact there is no guard rail will no longer bother you! My wife and I both drive the 45' (and six shorter ones) up and down US 550 and we are both 74. Being frightened because of a road has drop offs and no guard rale will result in you missing some really beautiful scenery! Driving across central Florida in the flat lands north of Lake Okechobee, the road is far narrower than US 550, no shoulder, full of potholes and you are meeting back to back 18 wheelers hauling produce going west. That is something to be concerned about. So one needs to concentrate on where the right rear tire is and make sure you do not get off the pavement! If you drop a rear tire off the pavement in that sand, bad things will happen!
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:25 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDaveTX View Post
Have you ever noticed the number of accidents on Interstate highways where people hit either marked police cars with lights on or disabled vehicles? Why do you think that is? it is people being curious and looking somewhere other than where they are intending to travel. Results can be tragic. I suspect that is the very reason so many people fear driving US 550 between Durango and Ouray, or more specifically between Silverton or Ouray. If a driver, regardless of what they are driving, pays attention to where the vehicle is on the roadway, you don't hit parked vehicles or police cars with lights on, or be concerned if there is a 2,000' drop off and no side rail. If you think about it, the typical side rail on most roads in our country, if they were on US 550 between Silverton and Ouray would not be much help for 45' motorcoach (or any large vehicle). If you don't watch and concentrate on where you are driving and hit a guard rail (if it were there) you are almost certainly going over the edge! So concentrate on the position of your left front tire in relation to the road and eventually, the fact there is no guard rail will no longer bother you! My wife and I both drive the 45' (and six shorter ones) up and down US 550 and we are both 74. Being frightened because of a road has drop offs and no guard rale will result in you missing some really beautiful scenery! Driving across central Florida in the flat lands north of Lake Okechobee, the road is far narrower than US 550, no shoulder, full of potholes and you are meeting back to back 18 wheelers hauling produce going west. That is something to be concerned about. So one needs to concentrate on where the right rear tire is and make sure you do not get off the pavement! If you drop a rear tire off the pavement in that sand, bad things will happen!
I agree with everything you said, especially that so many accidents are caused by "rubber necking". I make it a point never to slow down and look over at an accident. I not only believe it causes additional accidents, but it brings traffic to a crawl. I've decided to skip driving 550 with the coach, I will however drive 550 in the jeep. My wife wanted to visit a friend in Telluride which we would have skipped if we didn't take the long way around avoiding 550. I feel more at ease with my decision.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:42 PM   #118

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I agree with everything you said, especially that so many accidents are caused by "rubber necking". I make it a point never to slow down and look over at an accident. I not only believe it causes additional accidents, but it brings traffic to a crawl. I've decided to skip driving 550 with the coach, I will however drive 550 in the jeep. My wife wanted to visit a friend in Telluride which we would have skipped if we didn't take the long way around avoiding 550. I feel more at ease with my decision.

You could take the shortcut over Imogene Pass!

Another story you might like relating to US 550, about 6 years ago, my wife and a travel companion were going to Ouray for a month. Friends have a 5th wheel about 30’. The day before we were to leave, our friend’s wife rolled a stop sign and was hit broadside. Totaled the car. We left as planned but The wreck delayed their departure about a week. Been raining a lot. So they were on the way up and finally arrived! Wife was yelling saying her husband hit the side of the mountain just south of Ouray (just south of the overlook pullout). There were scrapes, broken windows, door messed up and slide out was protruding and there were a lot of scrapes on the side. I told my friends wife, he did not hit the mountain; the mountain hit you. A rock slide hit them. There was a rock the size of a bowling ball in their kitchen floor where it had gone through the trailer roof! Insurance company totaled his trailer! These are lucky people! About 1 or 2 seconds slower, the rock slide would have hit their truck! Truck was not damaged. I knew exactly where it happened because the day before I drove past the same place and water was pouring off side of the mountain and there were a lot of smaller rocks on the road! So there is more to watch for other than the side with no guard rail! FYI, highway dept had added fencing up the side of this spot as of last September!
Old 03-31-2019, 08:21 PM   #119

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
So my camping schedule is Gunnison to Ouray to Silverton to Durango. If I decide to skip 550 in the coach, how would I get from Ouray to Silverton? I think the route from Gunnison to Ouray is what I have below, but don't see a route between Ouray to Silverton. Unfortunately, Google maps doesn't give you an alternative route.

Gunnison to Ouray - Left at 62 in Ridgeway

Left onto 145 into Teluride

Take Tomboy Rd (K68) which turns into Imogene Pass Rd

Turn right (North) on 26A which turns into 361 to Ouray

Ouray to Silverton without 550?

Yo!, you want to skip US 550 because of twist, turns, curves, and no guard rail? And you want to take this route?

If that is what you are suggesting, you must be out of your mind! You were doing Ok until you turned left on 145 in Telluride! If you make it (and it is a big if) to right on 26A is definitely get you somewhere you don’t need to be! That right is on top of Imogene Pass, a 13,200’ Pass!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3377.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	240294 This reminds me of the local story of the trucker trying to get from Lake City to Silverton by taking “The Alpine Loop” which is on the Colorado Highway map. Jeep; si; truck; no.

[emoji107][emoji107][emoji107]
Old 04-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDaveTX View Post
Yo!, you want to skip US 550 because of twist, turns, curves, and no guard rail? And you want to take this route?

If that is what you are suggesting, you must be out of your mind! You were doing Ok until you turned left on 145 in Telluride! If you make it (and it is a big if) to right on 26A is definitely get you somewhere you don’t need to be! That right is on top of Imogene Pass, a 13,200’ Pass!

Attachment 240294 This reminds me of the local story of the trucker trying to get from Lake City to Silverton by taking “The Alpine Loop” which is on the Colorado Highway map. Jeep; si; truck; no.

[emoji107][emoji107][emoji107]
Yes, I've already been informed by another poster that I cannot go that route with the coach. If you read through the threads you would have seen that, as well as that I'm no longer taking 550 with the coach.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:15 PM   #121

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm fairly new to this blog and with 9 pages of responses I have not read them all and hope this is not a repeat. Anyway from the few I've read, it sounds like the trip is doable but why not camp on one end or the other and drive your toad the 140 mile round trip? Enjoy camping AND the scenery and no white knuckles or "pucker factor". Either way enjoy the drive!
Old 04-02-2019, 06:16 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeak View Post
I'm fairly new to this blog and with 9 pages of responses I have not read them all and hope this is not a repeat. Anyway from the few I've read, it sounds like the trip is doable but why not camp on one end or the other and drive your toad the 140 mile round trip? Enjoy camping AND the scenery and no white knuckles or "pucker factor". Either way enjoy the drive!
Unfortunately, you didn't read that I've decided to do just that, I'm staying in Ridgway state park and taking the Jeep to Ouray and Silverton, as well as a few other towns.