Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #15

The only negative I see for your trip through Georgia is be prepared for I-16 to be like a washboard and there are very few areas for fuel. I avoid I-16 if possible. Unless I am going to Savannah from Atlanta I go I-75 to I-10. Maybe a little longer but I enjoy the drive.

Have a great trip.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been spending entierly too much time in Savannah GA lately.. The plan was about 3 hours a month.. I just spent 4 hours there today, and some more yesterday, and I have been seeing parts of Savannah I hoped never to see or to see again, and.. Well it is a long story but at least I'm getting paid for it. (not much).

The keys to happy traveling.

Big cities, + Rush hour = Migraine,
Same city, Same rush hour, Dinner at a truck stop or Wall-mart neighbor, = Very nice trip.

Fatal accident closing the road = headache but read on)

Same accident same closure but CB (Chan 19) lets you know in time to Exit to a truck stop or Wal-Mart for the night = Nice peaceful night's sleep and nice trip.

Of course, if you choose to do the traffic jam with a class A/B/C you have food, water and toilet, what more do you need?
Old 12-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #17

We plan to leave Omaha at 9am. I booked a couple rooms around Nashville for that evening and now I am concerned that we won't make it to Nashville that night. Can one really drive from Omaha to Nashville in one day?
rebelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelkitty View Post
We plan to leave Omaha at 9am. I booked a couple rooms around Nashville for that evening and now I am concerned that we won't make it to Nashville that night. Can one really drive from Omaha to Nashville in one day?
It will be a long day, but also depens on how fast you drive, weather and traffic. Going 75mph vs 60mph starts to add up to some serious distance, but the ability to do that depends largely on you and your rig.

When we are trying to put some miles behind us, I can do 700 miles a day comfortably. But have also done far more.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
It will be a long day, but also depens on how fast you drive, weather and traffic. Going 75mph vs 60mph starts to add up to some serious distance, but the ability to do that depends largely on you and your rig.

When we are trying to put some miles behind us, I can do 700 miles a day comfortably. But have also done far more.

Thanks, we have a 10 cyl 32' Winnebago outlook and will be towing a small car. Long driving days don't bother me, especially now that all the new phones have hotspots so we can have the internet anywhere! Google maps clocks it at just over 11 hours. We hope to make it by midnight.

We have heated holding tanks but just to be safe, we had the rig winterized. Can't trust these Nebraska winters!

On one of our trips in the past, we took it to the grand canyon via Kansas and then back through Utah and Colorado. Colorado has some steep grades! As long as we don't run into anything like that, I think the trip will be much more pleasant.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #20

At roughly 6% for 5-6 miles, Monteagle is the steepest grade and longest grade you'll have to deal with between Nashville and Savannah. Like those with experience, its really not bad. No "hair pin" curves or anything like that.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #21

Quote:
On one of our trips in the past, we took it to the grand canyon via Kansas and then back through Utah and Colorado. Colorado has some steep grades! As long as we don't run into anything like that, I think the trip will be much more pleasant.
While there are roads the southeast that will give one pause, I-24 isn't one of them. The other thing is the summit of Mounteagle is only 2'000 feet, way below the altitude of those in Colorado.
jaycocamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #22

Quote:
Sure, it's possible. It would be 10-12 hours of actual drive time (no stops figured in), depending on speed. I find that one day that long is not so bad but stringing multiple long days together wears me out. Of course, as I accumulate years on my body, longer days tire me out more than they used to anyway 😀
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #23

Well I am happy to say the trip went just fine! We followed the Google map directions and skipped Alabama. The 6% grade around Chattanooga was really not a problem with our RV towing our car. We made it from Omaha to Murfreeseboro TN, on Saturday, leaving around 8:30 AM and arriving around 10pm. Our glitches happened the second day which was supposed to be a short drive day - finding a gas station with an air machine where we could pull the RV in to get air in the tires. Fortunately we found a truck stop we could navigate into. Then on I-75 between Atlanta and Macon we encountered 5 or 6 accidents and lost 2 hours on that piece of interstate. All in all, we arrived around 6:30 pm.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:50 AM   #24

Glad you made it ok. The weather has caused many accidents recently.

Sounds like a little air compressor would be a good investment.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote