Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Need help with routing

Need help routing from Louisiana to Boise, Idaho. Then to Yellowstone. Have gone from Louisiana direct to Yellowstone in past but this is new routing. Any suggestions appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We are heading to Boise and Yellowstone in Sept. After seeing friends in Nampa, outside of Boise we are taking 1-84 to Mountain Home then Hiway 20 across to Arco, ID, (the first town lit by atomic power) for the night. (Mountain View RV Park) Then we continue on HIway 20 to I-15 at Idaho Falls. From there we are heading to Jackson for a few days and then up to West Yellowstone for a week. You didn't mention where in Yellowstone you are planning to make camp. If you continue on HiWay 20 you will get to West Yellowstone.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Have reservations at Fishing Bridge
Old 03-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Sorry I can't help with the Louisiana to Boise part, I'm coming from the far west. Originally I was going to just follow I-84 to I-15, but I like the idea of taking the two lane HiWay across the state. We can see the Craters Of The Moon monument on the way.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #5

Is this a trick question? Your route depends on if you want to get there directly via interstates or do you want to get off the interstates to do some siteseeing?

One interstate route based on leaving from Shreveport is I-20 west to I-35/135 north at Dallas to U.S. 81 in Kansas to I-80 west at Lincoln, Nebraska to Salt Lake City, UT and then I-84 to Boise. That is 1895 miles.

Another is from Dallas and I-35/135 to connect to I-70 west to Denver and I-25 north to Cheyenne to I-80 to Salt Lake City, UT to I-84 to Boise. That is 1880 miles but the Denver area is awful.

You could also head to New Mexico and take in some nice sites and southwestern Colorado - Durango/Mesa Verde to the southern Utah national parks (Arches, Capitol Reef, Bryce). You'd be taking some state highways which are good for RVs.

Have a great trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
I've spent more than 20 years going to and from NW Wyoming. From Boise US 26 is the best route to Idaho Springs. You might be interested in Craters of the Moon NM, it's an amazing bit of geology. The lava tubes are very interesting. Between Arco and Idaho Springs is an Experimental Breeder Reactor, a nuclear plant built in the 1951 and now a National Landmark open to tour. Very cool, with neat 'old' technology. When US 26 and US 20 split, stay on US 20 to Idaho Springs. Continue on US 20 until West Yellowstone.

I do not recommend ID 33 / WY 22 from Driggs, ID to Wilson, WY. It takes you to Jackson by way of Teton Pass. This pass long 10% grades in both directions and is very difficult in an RV or truck. I've done it a number of times in a van or auto, once in my RV, and I won't do it again. Too much stress on engine and brakes. US 20 is easy, nice view of the west side of the Teton Mountains. Another route would be to use US 26 past Palisades Reservoir. Twisty, but no long grades. You can stop and watch rafters on the Snake River near Hoback Junction.

Leaving YNP, going out the South entrance and east on US 26 at Moran Junction isn't bad, much improvement has been made on the highway over Togwatee Pass to Dubois, is a direct route. Another way out is the East entrance to Cody, US 16 to US 20 to US 26 to Casper.

If you go down to Jackson to leave the area, you can use US 26 south to US 191/US 189 to Pinedale then US 191 to Rock Springs I-80 or US 189 to Evanston, I-80 W to Salt Lake City.

I've driven all these routes numerous times and wouldn't hesitate to do them in an RV. Lots to see on all the routes mentioned.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help