Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #1

Need quick advice on route! Utah to Arizona

We are in Moab and had planned to travel to Las Vegas tomorrow and then on to the Grand Canyon. With all the flooding and the I15 closure expected to last several days we have decided to skip Las Vegas.

Our new plan is to take hwy 89 south and then east across to Page and then south to Flagstaff. We see there are a couple of steep grades on this route. Can anyone tell us how bad they are and what the roads are like?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #2

Weather has been crap, south of Flagstaff too, some of the high ground , Beaverhead, ( 8,000 ft) had 16" of snow . Can you delay departure for a couple of days?

EDIT: We don't get much up to the minute , traffic info this far away.
Is the closure still on in the Virgin River George section of I 17 ?
Old 09-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Weather has been crap, south of Flagstaff too, some of the high ground , Beaverhead, ( 8,000 ft) had 16" of snow . Can you delay departure for a couple of days?

EDIT: We don't get much up to the minute , traffic info this far away.
Is the closure still on in the Virgin River George section of I 17 ?
I am not familiar with I17, but I found this online.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1410278255292.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	73433  
Old 09-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #4

Sorry, I meant I-15, but typed 17.

It's been a number of years since , I traveled the route through Page and Tuba City area to Flagstaff, can't remember much about the road north of Flagstaff, but south the drops were a little on the steep side , and I wasn't in an RV at the time.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #5

The closure on I15 is supposed to last 2 days. We could delay our take off, but we are ready to be on our way. We were hoping to see Zion NP, but that's out too. :(
Old 09-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
89 is a great road and there are no grades steeper than you would find on 15. You will be only 20 miles from Zion on 89 as you go by My Carmel junction. Don't miss it. Make sure it's open south of Page, it was closed for a while due to a landslide
kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #7

I would definitely wait around for Zions if you have the time, it is well worth it.
jenn.forum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #8

Hwy 89 has no steep grades. If you're flexible, please wait a few days for traveling until the water recedes in areas. It doesn't take long.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #9

89 is a fine road and if you take alt89 south of Fredonia you will hit rt 67 to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Much prettier than the South Rim.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #10

Coming from your direction, you shouldn't have any problems getting into Vegas. The portion of the 15 that was hit the hardest and closed was between Barstow and Vegas. Which is the opposite direction into Vegas. We go to Vegas quite often and have driven thru those storms. When they close those roads they usually open them pretty quick because it is a major transportation route. I know this was a pretty good storm, but they get this kind of flooding every few years and they are pretty good at getting it cleaned up, but I think you are good coming from Utah into Vegas.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Coming from your direction, you shouldn't have any problems getting into Vegas. The portion of the 15 that was hit the hardest and closed was between Barstow and Vegas. Which is the opposite direction into Vegas. We go to Vegas quite often and have driven thru those storms. When they close those roads they usually open them pretty quick because it is a major transportation route. I know this was a pretty good storm, but they get this kind of flooding every few years and they are pretty good at getting it cleaned up, but I think you are good coming from Utah into Vegas.
No, this is the closure I am referring to.

http://www.good4utah.com/story/d/sto...lUSAq7olB6BmGA
Old 09-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have done it in a 35 ft gasser pulling a towed. no problems. Why not spend some time in Monument Valley and Mesa Verde atCortez Co. Only slightly out of the way and it will give time for the weather to clear up.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
We have done it in a 35 ft gasser pulling a towed. no problems. Why not spend some time in Monument Valley and Mesa Verde atCortez Co. Only slightly out of the way and it will give time for the weather to clear up.
We will take our time on our way and do some exploring. Just making sure the grades aren't too creepy
Old 09-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #14

WanderinTXun, sorry about that...didn't see that on our local news, being from Southern California they only talked about what would be closed between here and Vegas...that doesn't look good.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, arizona