Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2021, 12:16 PM   #1

Need route help from Lake Tahoe to Las Vegas

First post here but I've been lurking for a while and learned so much, thank you all! We're currently in Truckee and leaving Sunday for Las Vegas. I'd prefer to go 395 as far south as possible before cutting over to the less interesting 95. We're comfortable with winding roads and steep grades (have done plenty of = or <6%) but am concerned about excessively winding roads, super steep grades and temps much >100. Right now I'm thinking of Sunday night in Bishop, CA and then take 168 to 266 to 95. Would appreciate your opinions, other route options and campgrounds for the overnight on the way. Thanks!!
blazinlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2021, 04:06 PM   #2

You might not like 168 - the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers' (highly recommended, by the way) states "You'll immediately be greeted by a series of warnings.... steep 5-9% grades, sharp curves, narrow pavement, not recommended for large or heavy vehicles". Once you cross into Nevada on 168 it states "1.5 mi of 7-8% then 1.5 mi of 5% followed by 8 mi of 3-4%".

While you're there why not take a drive on it to see if it's something you'd want to do. I'm sure RVers have done it as it's a good shortcut.

We've take 395 to 120 east to 6 to Tonopah. You might want to take that to 95 south. Tonopah has a nice rest area just for RVs if you need to spend a night.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:35 PM   #3

I can't help you with a route from Bishop, other then the 395 to the 58 to Batstow, to the 15 to Vegas.

It is the long way, but you can eat at the oldest Del Taco (in Barstow). LOL.

I have only taken the 95 from Northern Nevada to Vegas, and never been any further south on the 395 than Bishop. The drive to Bishop is nice though.
RogerThat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:45 PM   #4

If you want to avoid 95 go 395 then through Death Valley to Pahrump and Blue Diamond into Vegas.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinlynn View Post
..... the less interesting 95. .....D
Got that right! But sometimes boring is beautiful.

PNW in the summer and Las Vegas in the winter sometimes via NYC.

One year did Death Valley to Lake Tahoe going north. If you have never done it you should.

Two years ago came down from Susanville into Reno and then US-95 to LV. It was beautiful. At that point if I never saw another pine on a steep windy incline I would be happy.

Of course I am back in the PNW waiting to head south again.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:14 PM   #6

I thought of going thru Death Valley but it's a BIG descent from 395. It's a drop in elevation of 5,000'. It begins with 6% for 3 miles and a few sections are more than 6%. The road is winding with 30 mph curves. After the 3 mi is a sign "8% grade next 5 miles." At the end of the 5 miles is another sign "6% grade next 5 miles." So there is a total of 13 miles of 6-8% grade followed by several miles of 3% into Stovepipe Wells. It's a biggie.

We've done it both directions but it is steep.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I thought of going thru Death Valley but it's a BIG descent from 395. .....
No long after getting our first DP we visited Death Valley. Was taking to with the owner of a similar DP who came in from the opposite direction. Said he almost burned out his brakes.

Showed him the the exhaust brake switch.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:05 AM   #8

You could also take 6 out of Bishop and instead going 95 through Tonopah go through Dyer and bypass Tonopah.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, route